Machota: Jason Garrett explains why even a simple clap during post-practice stretchin

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett explains why even a simple clap during post-practice stretching is important to him
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
9:18 pm on June 11, 2014

IRVING – Sure, the players aren’t wearing pads and there’s more than a month until training camp opens, but that doesn’t mean Jason Garrett isn’t taking every part of organized team activities seriously.

The Dallas Cowboys end their OTA sessions by stretching. Garrett wants each player to clap their hands at the end of each stretch. They hold their position, count to eight and clap.

During OTAs that were open to media members last week and again on Tuesday, a few players weren’t clapping. Garrett didn’t like that.

He doesn’t use expletives often in front of the media but he did last week in this situation.

“If we’re going to do something, we’re going to do it,” Garrett explained Tuesday. “If we go seven, eight, clap, then we’re going to clap. If we don’t want to do that, then we should do something else. I think that’s important.

“I think it’s a real simple thing that let’s everybody kind of know that we’re in this together, we’re focused on this moment, and we’re in unison. That’s a positive thing for your team.”

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think everyone is making too big of a deal about this. It's about execution and doing what the coach tells you and the players need to execute in every fashion during practice.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think everyone is making too big of a deal about this. It's about execution and doing what the coach tells you and the players need to execute in every fashion during practice.
Agreed. It's no different than basic training in the military. EVERYthing is put into a routine, for a couple different reasons. To make following orders second nature, and to ingrain repetition. Get everyone on the same page from the start.

I'm certainly no Garrett fan, but this is nothing. There are much better reasons to drag him through the mud than this.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Agreed. It's no different than basic training in the military. EVERYthing is put into a routine, for a couple different reasons. To make following orders second nature, and to ingrain repetition. Get everyone on the same page from the start.

I'm certainly no Garrett fan, but this is nothing. There are much better reasons to drag him through the mud than this.
Glad to hear this sentiment. I'm not a Garrett fan either but I don't think everything he does or says is wrong. Your military basic analogy is appropriate but maybe one has to have been there to see it.

Top Bottom