Jerry Jones speaks with season-ticket holders

Carp

DCC 4Life
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

On Wednesday, Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones spoke to the team's season ticket holders and sponsors during a conference call.

Jones spoke for an hour and according to the voice of the Cowboys, Brad Sham, there were nearly 1,000 questions.

Here's some highlights:

On Valley Ranch being a country club atmosphere: "I don’t think that we do have a country club atmosphere around here. There’s too much competition. These players recognize how fortunate they are to be in the NFL, to have these opportunities. We’ve got as good or better leadership than my experience in 24 years with the Cowboys has seen."

The safety position has veteran Will Allen, young players, Matt Johnson, Barry Church, Danny McCray and draft pick J.J. Wilcox: "I think we’re in good shape at safety." Jones later added, "I don’t know when I’ve ever seen a player impress our staff without having played in a ballgame any more than Matt Johnson." Jones was asked about naming starters and didn't, he instead praised each player including Johnson and Church.

Defensive end Anthony Spencer is signed for this season at $10.8 million, but he's been franchised the last two seasons. There is some concern if the Cowboys will lock Spencer up long-term: "We'd like to have him under a long-term agreement. He knows that."

On Tim Tebow, who was released by the New York Jets and why the Cowboys don't want a third string quarterback: "We really feel good about Kyle Orton and that's where it all starts and stops right there. He will be used differently to some degree than we use (Tony) Romo, but he's capable of winning big games and we know how important that backup slot is, especially if it's temporary if you don't have Romo. We're pretty set at quarterback there. We wish Tim all the luck and the best in the world."

On the defense: "The defense should be the strength of our team arguably the defensive line can be the strength of the team. Later Jones said, "Our defense will fit Monte Kiffin's scheme. It actually will be a simpler defense for this group to get. The adjustment from where we were in the 3-4 to the 4-3 will not be as significant as it might appear."

On the health of Jay Ratliff: We don't think Jay Ratliff is injury prone. He had possibly three different injuries last year. He is further down the road in his career than he was a few years ago. But we think of all that he's very sound physically and we think he'll flourish in this defensive scheme. He's a natural three-technique."

On the draft board: Jones said the Cowboys had center Travis Frederick ranked ahead of LSU safety Eric Reid. The Cowboys moved down in the NFL draft, switching from No. 18 to No. 31 with the San Francisco 49ers. Frederick is projected as a second-day pick and said he was surprised the Cowboys grabbed him in the first round. Jones also indicated there were two to three safeties ranked ahead of Wilcox on the draft board. Wilcox was a third-round pick.

Jones on losing to the New York Giants at Cowboys Stadium: The Cowboys open the 2013 season at Cowboys Stadium against the New York Giants. The Cowboys are 0-4 against the Giants at home. "It is a pain and it is," Jones said of the losses to the Giants.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No other questions about the OL? Weak season ticket holders and sponsors ignoring the elephant in the room.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
They've hyped The Matt Johnson to the point where anything less than an Ed Reed like career will be a let down.

Lotuseater

Banned
More like the lack of elephants.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They've hyped The Matt Johnson to the point where anything less than an Ed Reed like career will be a let down.
Jerry is so full of shit with 99% of what he says. We didn't get a legitimate starting safety in the draft so now he feels like he has to hype up this guy instead. If we didn't draft Frederick you would probably be hearing about how awesome Costa is going to be this upcoming season. It's like he does it so on the off chance one of these scrubs works out Jerry can sit there and tell everyone how smart he was, that he always knew the player was going to be a stud.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jones Recaps Draft, Previews 2012 With Season Ticket Holders

Posted 1 hour ago

David Helman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Cowboys season ticket holders had a chance to speak with owner/general manager Jerry Jones on Thursday. Jones participated in a conference call open to all season ticket holders, talking for roughly an hour with a line of more than 1,000 callers.

Here are some of the highlights from the call:

On new tight end draftee Gavin Escobar:

“There are qualities of every player. The thing that excited us about Escobar, was, teamed with Witten, and his athletic ability to catch the ball. Picture Romo buying some time, we’re in the redzone, and throwing that ball up with Escobar on the run, catching it back over his shoulder or making a circus catch. We had that to some degree with Martellus Bennett, but it was not consistent.

Escobar along with Hanna, and of course Witten, will allow us to really give defenses fits.”

On the availability of Tim Tebow:

“We feel really good about Kyle Orton, and that’s where it all starts and stops right there … What we need to look at in quarterback is what we may be doing at third quarterback, and that remains to be seen.”

On Tony Romos’ increased role:

“It is significant that Romo has made an additional commitment … this implies that Romo was kind of taking it easy, which is the farthest thing from the truth. But there’s a big difference when the quarterback gets in there with the coaches on an everyday basis and looks hundreds of plays over the last couple of years of a particular opponent. Romo is going to be involved.

On the health of Jay Ratliff:

“We don’t think Jay Ratliff is injury prone. He had possibly three different injuries last year, and he is farther down the road in his career, obviously, than he was three years ago. But we think that he’s very sound physically. He will flourish, and I emphasize the word flourish, in this defensive scheme. He is a natural three technique.”

On DeMarcus Ware in the 4-3 defensive scheme:

“He’s going to be rushing, stunting, and rushing the passer all the time. To me that’s the best use – I’m smiling – of DeMarcus Ware … What this will enable us to do is better use Ratliff. Ratliff is going to require some attention that, maybe in 3-4, he didn’t get quite as much … They’ll have to leave somebody singled up.”

On the outsides of the offensive line:

“We certainly, as we speak, have [Doug] Free. But we’ve got a player named [Jeremy] Parnell that has just intrigued and developed and developed, and is one of the most driven players that we’ve seen.”

On urgency in 2013:

“Certainly we should and will have the future in mind, but this draft was to get these players on the field right now. Because that’s the emphasis we’re putting on this game against the Giants to start, and that’s the emphasis we’re putting on the current situation. Romo got the money that I gave him because of right now.”

On Dez Bryant’s development off-field:

“I think it’s going very well, and the only reason you would not say ‘great,’ is because I’ll say great, and tomorrow morning I’ll get a call from the red phone beside the bed, so to speak. But it is going great. He is evolving with his maturity.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The fact that he's impressed these numbnuts in the organization to the extent they have and he has played less then 10 actual plays of NFL football infuriates me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The fact that he's impressed these numbnuts in the organization to the extent they have and he has played less then 10 actual plays of NFL football infuriates me.
31 other teams, pal.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
“There are qualities of every player. The thing that excited us about Escobar, was, teamed with Witten, and his athletic ability to catch the ball. Picture Romo buying some time, we’re in the redzone, and throwing that ball up with Escobar on the run, catching it back over his shoulder or making a circus catch. We had that to some degree with Martellus Bennett, but it was not consistent.
:picard

Hey, picture this guys...we're going to be awesome. Can you see it? Do you have a clear image in your mind of how amazing the Cowboys are going to be? No? Well really concentrate now...

That right there is the essence of Jerry Jones and it's infuriating. Trying to sell this scenario to some of his prime customers when they know damn well he's twice tried the same thing and failed both times. Pitiful.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:picard

Hey, picture this guys...we're going to be awesome. Can you see it? Do you have a clear image in your mind of how amazing the Cowboys are going to be? No? Well really concentrate now...

That right there is the essence of Jerry Jones and it's infuriating. Trying to sell this scenario to some of his prime customers when they know damn well he's twice tried the same thing and failed both times. Pitiful.
That comment epitomizes what a diseased mind we have leading this franchise.

What kind of fricking idiot is he now? Did he forget what the frick got him the three rings he so undeservingly wears?

He's more concerned about entertainment value than winning football.

Troy Aikman hitting Irvin with almost robotic precision, an OL blowing open holes for Emmitt to run through...he'd fricking hate that.

He really wants us to picture Romo BUYING TIME and heaving some sort of alley oop to Escobar who has to make a circus catch?

I'd prefer the QB having 4 seconds to throw, making a perfect pass and the guy make it look easy.

This is so mind-boggling, I am struggling right now to understand if I am actually going insane.

Cotton

Staff member

What kind of fricking idiot is he now? Did he forget what the frick got him the three rings he so undeservingly wears?

Troy Aikman hitting Irvin with almost robotic precision, an OL blowing open holes for Emmitt to run through...he'd fricking hate that.

He really wants us to picture Romo BUYING TIME and heaving some sort of alley oop to Escobar who has to make a circus catch?

I'd prefer the QB having 4 seconds to throw, making a perfect pass and the guy make it look easy.

This is so mind-boggling, I am struggling right now to understand if I am actually going insane.
I can remember almost getting bored watching the Cowboys. I obviously watched every play, but I can remember talking more with people around me back then because it did seem so easy.

I miss that.

A lot.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
There have been times where I'm sure I must have appeared insane while trying to contemplate the depths of Jerry Jones' idiocy. Sitting in front of a computer reading another article where Jerry says something so stupid that it leaves me incredulous, laughing to myself, shaking my head in disbelief, and muttering under my breath. Probably look like a schizophrenic lunatic to anyone observing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yea, Jerry is completely batshit and he's totally ruined this organization.

Nothing we can do about it but make full use of the fact that there is absolutely no filter on this forum, thank the Lord above.

Cotton

Staff member
Yea, Jerry is completely batshit and he's totally ruined this organization.

Nothing we can do about it but make full use of the fact that there is absolutely no filter on this forum, thank the Lord above.
:towel

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
“I think it’s going very well, and the only reason you would not say ‘great,’ is because I’ll say great, and tomorrow morning I’ll get a call from the red phone beside the bed, so to speak. But it is going great. He is evolving with his maturity.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There have been times where I'm sure I must have appeared insane while trying to contemplate the depths of Jerry Jones' idiocy. Sitting in front of a computer reading another article where Jerry says something so stupid that it leaves me incredulous, laughing to myself, shaking my head in disbelief, and muttering under my breath. Probably look like a schizophrenic lunatic to anyone observing.
Maybe this says something about me, but he's one of the few people that walk this earth that I have had legitimate homicidal thoughts about.

His son, his skank daughter and the shirt/tie wearing grandchild popped on my list-o-death this past weekend too though.

Top Bottom