Gosselin: Tony Romo needs to play perfect football for Cowboys to win

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gosselin: Tony Romo needs to play perfect football for Cowboys to win

SportsDay columnist Rick "Goose" Gosselin hosted a chat Tuesday morning to talk everything sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: What worries you the most: Tony Romo's poor decisions (I emphasize the plural use of the word), the secondary or the huge number of 49ers fans at the stadium?

Gosselin: Poor decisions by Romo. He's 34 years old and been a starter for eight seasons. Yet he's still making the poor decisions I'd expect from a rookie. If he spins his wheels, this franchise spins its wheels. And he's spinning his wheels with less arm than he's had in the past. His long balls were wounded ducks and underthrows. If he's going to continue to throw into coverage, he's going to continue to get picked. He has to start doing what's best for the franchise — stop taking chances. When he makes mistakes, this team loses.

Question: Take away the "run/pass option" from Romo. Best offense looked last year was with Orton simply executing calls relayed to him. Thoughts?

Gosselin: Agreed. I thought Orton executed the gameplan to perfection in the finale. He ran the play that was sent in from the sideline and, had he not thrown the picks, the Cowboys had a terrific shot at an upset that night. Romo is not always a fan of the play that comes in from the sideline. Instead of a run-pass option, he should be given a run-run order. Bad things happen of late when Romo tries to be Superman.

Question: I know the answer to this, but figure I'll throw it out there anyway. What do you do with Romo? I have probably been one of his apologists for years, but I think I've finally reached the point where I can't defend him anymore. His decision making has always been suspect, especially at key/critical points in games. He has continued to fail in those areas. Do you think they would do anything with him after the season assuming they end up as bad I as I think they will? I'm predicting 6-10.

Gosselin: Not a whole lot you can so with him now. You're stuck with that contract. He's two games into a six-year, $108 million deal. Harder questions should have been asked in 2013 when the Cowboys re-signed him. How could you give that kind of money to an aging quarterback who had never won? All you can do now is start studying the 2015 draft board and find a quarterback you like high in the first round. It's time to start grooming a successor.

Question: Romo's decision making throughout the game was deplorable: (1) With a 2nd and goal at the 2-yard-line and the team down 7-0, he audibles out of a run only to get sacked. (2) His pass in the end zone that was intercepted -- this is a mistake that a first-year quarterback makes. (3) He consistently threw into double/triple coverage. I don't want to hear about his back or lack of playing time in the preseason. Healthy or not, he is a mistake machine.

Gosselin: Tony Romo needs to play perfect football for this team to win. That's not in the nature of a gunslinger quarterback who likes to take chances. In the last 32 games that Romo has committed at least one turnover, the Cowboys have lost 19 of them. Sometimes you need to do what's best for your team, not what's best for your reputation. If he's going to continue to try to force passes into coverage, he's going to continue getting intercepted. The good ones learn that early on in their careers.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No, he doesn't. He needs to accept a less prominent role in the offense for Dallas to win.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
No, he doesn't. He needs to accept a less prominent role in the offense for Dallas to win.

Clearly. But it's more of an indictment against the coaching he's had than with his skill set. You can't ask any qb to pass that much every week and win.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Clearly. But it's more of an indictment against the coaching he's had than with his skill set. You can't ask any qb to pass that much every week and win.
Romo's inflated ego plays a part. He used to want to be Brett Favre, for the last 5-6 years he's been stuck on the idea that he should be Peyton Manning. He's neither. He's just Tony Romo.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He doesn't need to play perfect, he just can't play like crap like he did in the first half against SF.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He doesn't need to play perfect, he just can't play like crap like he did in the first half against SF.
Exactly. I think Romo has this idiotic idea stuck in his head that the only way we can win games is on the strength of his right arm; which is completely false and which is why he chooses to abandon the run in clear running situations.

We have some play makers on this team.....guys who can take a simple 5 yard pass and turn it into 20 yards. We don't need Romo taking risks on a constant basis.

A part of me think Romo is a bit of a stat/ball hog. "He" wants to put up the nice numbers. "He" wants to be the one who is involved in the score. I think there is possibly some truth there and times where the "I" definitely comes before "team".

There's no other explanation for it in my mind. How else can you explain constantly abandoning the run in 1st and goal from the 2 situations; particularly when your RBs have been averaging over 5 pyc. Am I supposed to believe the horse shit excuse o how "he didn't like the look and they had 8 men in the box".

Newsflash, Corky, when you're near the goal line more times than not the defense is going to put 8 men or more in the box but smart QBs/teams still at least try to run. Keyword "try". We don't even try most of the time and that's what pisses most of us off.

/Rant

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He doesn't have to be perfect. He needs to be managed. Parcells said it, and it still rings true years later.

But that is impossible when he has been given keys to the franchise by the owner and the head coach is so spineless that he latches onto the player as a BFF for job security. Never seen anything like it. Even revered QBs that won something like Montana never got this kind of idiotic mandate that spreads across the franchise.

shane

DCC 4Life
He doesn't have to be perfect. He needs to be managed. Parcells said it, and it still rings true years later.

But that is impossible when he has been given keys to the franchise by the owner and the head coach is so spineless that he latches onto the player as a BFF for job security. Never seen anything like it. Even revered QBs that won something like Montana never got this kind of idiotic mandate that spreads across the franchise.
Bingo. It's a sad state of affairs.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Marino had that mandate. Once he broke the single season records he had total control of the offense.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Shula's refusal to get a running back is why the Dolphins never won shit.
Yep. Whether it was Marino or Shula, they never had a real feature back. I don't think they had a single 1,000 yard rusher until Karim Abdul-Jabbar and that was when Marino was on the downside of his career.

Similar situation for Elway and the Broncos. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride until Terrell Davis came along.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying anything that anyone couldn't see yesterday, but Romo is not completely back from his surgery and I am not sure he ever will be. He labors when he moves now. I do think he could stand to lose 15-20 lbs and take some weight off his back. There is no denying that QB is right on par with the DL in terms of need.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not saying anything that anyone couldn't see yesterday, but Romo is not completely back from his surgery and I am not sure he ever will be. He labors when he moves now. I do think he could stand to lose 15-20 lbs and take some weight off his back. There is no denying that QB is right on par with the DL in terms of need.
Yea, he doesn't look good at all.

I anticipated this would be the case due to a natural - not sure if "progression" applies here since it is a decline - but it's just a pattern that has continued since 2012. 2012 is when his deep balls began to hang and lack zip, and what used to be the best pass in his arsenal is now an under thrown ball every.single.time.

Couple that steady physical decline with his age and the recent back issues, and you have a QB who I believe is nearing the end of his career. It's a shame that this is happening now being as we finally appear to have a very good running game and an offensive coordinator who will stay committed to it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
we finally appear to have a very good running game and an offensive coordinator who will stay committed to it.
Whoa, idle down champ. We've seen the sporadic dominating running game before, only to fall back into being pass happy. I'm not ready to proclaim we're a dedicated running team after one game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Whoa, idle down champ. We've seen the sporadic dominating running game before, only to fall back into being pass happy. I'm not ready to proclaim we're a dedicated running team after one game.
Hence the term "appear".

I don't know if we're going to be as committed as a Parcells team would be, but yesterday, Murray had the most carries any RB has had around here since the Parcells days. I kept waiting for them to get pass happy in the 2nd half, and even Aikman and Buck joked about it saying they too expected the Cowboys to get away from the run, but they stayed with it.

I think Linehan is gonna be more committed to it than Garrett ever has in his tenure here, and as long as Romo doesn't go around changing plays, I think the playcalling should remain balanced.

I guess the interesting thing will be to see how the playcalling goes when the running game isn't working, because that's when this team has been far too quick to dump it.

D

Deuce

The running game is seriously this team's only hope. StL's DL will tear Romo apart if he wants to pass 40 times and New Orleans can be gashed on the ground while keeping their O off the field.

Top Bottom