Colin Kaepernick signs 6 yr $110 million extension with $61m guaranteed

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers reached agreement on a six-year extension worth over $110 million -- including a record $61 million guaranteed -- that ties him to the team through 2020, sources said Wednesday.

[+] EnlargeColin Kaepernick
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Colin Kaepernick, who is 21-8 as the starting QB for the San Francisco 49ers, will receive a record $61 million in guaranteed money as part of his new six-year deal.
The deal makes Kaepernick one of the NFL's top 10-paid quarterbacks. He was scheduled to have made $1.073 million this season.

The extension also is the ultimate sign of confidence that the 49ers have no worries about Kaepernick's role in an offseason incident in Miami that police still are investigating.

The deal for the 26-year-old Kaepernick is expected to have strong implications on potential deals for Cam Newton, Andy Dalton and Alex Smith this year, along with Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson next year, when they are eligible to sign their first NFL contract extensions.

Kaepernick is 21-8 as the 49ers' starting quarterback and has led San Francisco to three straight NFC Championship games. He threw for 3,197 yards, rushed for 524 more and accounted for 25 TDs and only eight interceptions during the 2013 season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11032829/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-agrees-six-year-deal-worth-more-110-million

Newt

DCC 4Life
Wow. That is insane money.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
That's dumb.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol @ the 49ers. They will regret it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I wonder how much we throw at Weeden next year...has to be in the same neighborhood.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The ironic thing about guys like Kaepernick, Flacco and soon Wilson is that while they are good QB's, their success is mostly derived from being on a team that is balanced with a strong defense, but when they get these contracts the team is not able to keep that foundation around them.

You can't let these guys walk obviously but the only way these contracts work out is if the QB can carry a team pretty much on their own, guys like Kaepernick and Flacco can not. It's an interesting situation that the economics of the league has created.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The ironic thing about guys like Kaepernick, Flacco and soon Wilson is that while they are good QB's, their success is mostly derived from being on a team that is balanced with a strong defense, but when they get these contracts the team is not able to keep that foundation around them.

You can't let these guys walk obviously but the only way these contracts work out is if the QB can carry a team pretty much on their own, guys like Kaepernick and Flacco can not. It's an interesting situation that the economics of the league has created.
Excellent point. They are being paid as elite but their roles in the offenses are not focal.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You guys get on to Romo about how he wears his hat. Can't imagine what it would be like if he wore an oversized tabletop hat like Kaepernick.

Sorry to derail for a second. Just saw his interview on sports center.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Excellent point. They are being paid as elite but their roles in the offenses are not focal.
Yea, for it to work the guy has to be like a Rodgers, Brees, Manning or Brady who can elevate average players around them. These teams really have no choice though, some team will pay these guys either way and you can't let them go, it's just an interesting situation.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Why not? I'd offer a fair deal that doesn't put me in cap "purgatory if not hell"; if they don't take it let someone drastically overpay and get me some 2nd round comp pick to get the next bus driver.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Looks like a great deal for SF.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I can see why they like him, and he's gotten them pretty far, but then again they were doing pretty well with Alex Smith too. This is insane money for a non-elite player.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Looks like a great deal for SF.
Yeah, I agree... the money (overall) looks to be way too much, but the contract is structured well. The 49'ers can get out of most of that big money (if he does not perform) pretty easily, and if he does meet those triggers (Super Bowl, Pro Bowl appearances, etc.) the debate over the money will be moot.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, I agree... the money (overall) looks to be way too much, but the contract is structured well. The 49'ers can get out of most of that big money (if he does not perform) pretty easily, and if he does meet those triggers (Super Bowl, Pro Bowl appearances, etc.) the debate over the money will be moot.
Performance contracts are the way to go these days. The owners have to rein in the ability for players to make a money grab then become a spectator for most of the rest of their careers.

D

Deuce

Performance contracts are the way to go these days. The owners have to rein in the ability for players to make a money grab then become a spectator for most of the rest of their careers.
That'll never work unless the owners agree to only offer those deals. One owner decides to offer gaurenteed money and every player will sign with them. If the owners get together and decide to do that, it'll be collusion and the NFLPA will be a bitch to deal with.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That'll never work unless the owners agree to only offer those deals. One owner decides to offer gaurenteed money and every player will sign with them. If the owners get together and decide to do that, it'll be collusion and the NFLPA will be a bitch to deal with.
The owners could collude and say it is a trend.

Top Bottom