Fox Sports: If Jason Garrett coaches like he did Sunday, the Cowboys will have a playoff disaster

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Frankly the part that chaps my ass most about the offensive calling is 3 plays designed for Lucky Whitehead. I actually think we had some really good play calling otherwise that helped lead Dak and Zeke to their impressive numbers. I mean everything we did to get Lucky the ball ended in total failure but basically everything else worked. I guess I could complain that we weren't a little more aggressive in the 2nd and 20 yard type situations. Play designs to get 4 or 5 yards in that situation just aren't cutting it.
I agree with this. Lucky was really, really bad yesterday. The fumble on the pitch was ridiculous. His returns were pretty anemic. He ran out one he shouldn't have. Overall his negative plays are outweighing his positive ones. I miss Dwayne Harris...

Jiggyfly

Banned
Feels like nitpicking. Didn't hate the reverse, if it was executed properly it's an easy first down and a decent gain.

Also can't blame Garrett for the relatively conservative decision to take the FG considering that Tampa's offense didn't do shit aside from the two TD drives, one of which was mostly a fluke to begin with.
I agree but I was leaning toward going for that 1st down only because I did not like Garrett going back to being so conservative.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree with this. Lucky was really, really bad yesterday. The fumble on the pitch was ridiculous. His returns were pretty anemic. He ran out one he shouldn't have. Overall his negative plays are outweighing his positive ones. I miss Dwayne Harris...
I think that fumble was more on Elliot he kind of no looked the flip and that was unnecessary, will have to see it again but I think it was Zeke's fault.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think that fumble was more on Elliot he kind of no looked the flip and that was unnecessary, will have to see it again but I think it was Zeke's fault.
It was Tyron Smith's fault...he got pushed back into the play by the DE.

Playmaker

Brand New Member
Doesn't matter we're not going deep in the playoffs with dink and dunk Dak at QB.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I completely disagree. There is a big difference between a 3 and 6 point lead. The 6 point lead forces them to go for a TD which means they are going to have to drive the ball another 30 yards or so and punch it in. A lot more pressure on the opposing team.
You're right but I'd prefer not to even give them that opportunity. I'd prefer that we try to score the TD and push the lead to 10 and put it away with our offense rather than rely on our defense.

As I mentioned in another post, a 6 point lead leaves us vulnerable to one big play costing us the game. Which is what literally happened to us last week.

The Bucs have a stud in Mike Evans who can score from anywhere on the field like OBJ. We lucked out on the one play where he had our secondary beat but Winston overthrew him. I'd rather not play with fire because I've seen Cowboys defenses fold in the clutch too many times over the past few years. All because they played it conservative on offense and relied on the defense to close out the game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Doesn't matter we're not going deep in the playoffs with dink and dunk Dak at QB.
What happens when we face Seattle, Atlanta, New York, New England, or Pittsburgh and we need a play.

Dak answered in Pittsburgh with that bomb to Dez, but we've gone cold since. Pittsburgh was all about Zeke.

But we needed that bomb. Can we do that again? Can we even get close?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
What happens when we face Seattle, Atlanta, New York, New England, or Pittsburgh and we need a play.

Dak answered in Pittsburgh with that bomb to Dez, but we've gone cold since. Pittsburgh was all about Zeke.

But we needed that bomb. Can we do that again? Can we even get close?
Yes, that is an issue. I'd really like to see them take some deep shots down the sidelines. Jerry and Co raved about Butler's speed and how it gave them another weapon in the passing game but I think he's only been targeted 3 times over 20 yards. If that stat is true that is ridiculous.

Of course Butler has dropped passes left and right but at least a close long pass gives DC's something to think about.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Good thing we don't have Wentz at QB instead of Dak then right?

Saying Dak is a dink and dunk QB is being intellectually lazy, he has thrown to many intermediate passes this year to say that and at least 10 in this last game alone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak and Wentz (and Winston, probably) are going to be lighting up the NFC over the next 10-15 years.

None of the above are touch deep passers yet. That took Wilson about four years. It took Ben even longer.

Wilson and Ben had the D, OL, and pro bowl RBs to win championships in their second years, though. We don't have that D, so we need Dak to be better than all of them. As a rookie.

It's not fair but it's true. If he fails, people will always wonder what would have happened if Romo had been in there.

Just like the 49ers fans who thought Montana would have beaten the Cowboys in 92 (probably right) or Colts fans who believed Unitas could have come off the bench and beaten the Jets (also probably right).

It ain't fair, but it's real.

JMech

Brand New Member
Feels like nitpicking. Didn't hate the reverse, if it was executed properly it's an easy first down and a decent gain.

Also can't blame Garrett for the relatively conservative decision to take the FG considering that Tampa's offense didn't do shit aside from the two TD drives, one of which was mostly a fluke to begin with.
No, I think you can and should blame him for that stupid decision on going for the FG. That was a simple math problem. We were cutting off huge yards with the run. We should have run the ball for the first down and kept the ball. Had their QB put it together we would have lost by one.

Red did not play enough in his career to account for a lot of head trauma, but he must have been hit a lot running the practice squad. The guy sucks.

dallen

Senior Tech
Dink and Dunk Dak and Rippin and Roarin Romo are my two favorite children's books.

dallen

Senior Tech
No, I think you can and should blame him for that stupid decision on going for the FG. That was a simple math problem. We were cutting off huge yards with the run. We should have run the ball for the first down and kept the ball. Had their QB put it together we would have lost by one.

Red did not play enough in his career to account for a lot of head trauma, but he must have been hit a lot running the practice squad. The guy sucks.
Welcome back. Please, for the love of God, pick an avatar

J

Jim Dandy

Agreed. At this point our coaching staff is our weakness when it comes to making a deep run into the playoffs.....

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I understand wanting to go for it there, but it certainly wasn't stupid to kick the field goal.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I understand wanting to go for it there, but it certainly wasn't stupid to kick the field goal.
I don't think it's stupid to kick it there and force them to get into the endzone to beat you, but the call bothered me because it goes to show how Garrett still lacks situational awareness and I don't want to that to hurt us in the playoffs.

For example, to his credit, the guy has been really aggressive all year and there were even times where he went for it when I didn't think they should. Whether it was because of where we were on the field, the score, the scenario at that particular time, etc, he's gone for it at times when I wouldn't have.

That is why I can't understand how you make the decision to go for it in those instances but then not go for it vs Tampa Bay.

He went for a 4th and 1 on our side of the field vs the Giants last week in the 1st quarter of a 0-0 game. If we get stopped there, it would've been a huge early blow and could've sent things south in a hurry. He thought that was worth the risk but then kicks it on a 4th and 1 at the Bucs 20 or so with a chance to kill the game off?

I just don't understand how you do that and it tells me Garrett still doesn't fully have a feel for the ebb and flow of a game.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think it's stupid to kick it there and force them to get into the endzone to beat you, but the call bothered me because it goes to show how Garrett still lacks situational awareness and I don't want to that to hurt us in the playoffs.

For example, to his credit, the guy has been really aggressive all year and there were even times where he went for it when I didn't think they should. Whether it was because of where we were on the field, the score, the scenario at that particular time, etc, he's gone for it at times when I wouldn't have.

That is why I can't understand how you make the decision to go for it in those instances but then not go for it vs Tampa Bay.

He went for a 4th and 1 on our side of the field vs the Giants last week in the 1st quarter of a 0-0 game. If we get stopped there, it would've been a huge early blow and could've sent things south in a hurry. He thought that was worth the risk but then kicks it on a 4th and 1 at the Bucs 20 or so with a chance to kill the game off?

I just don't understand how you do that and it tells me Garrett still doesn't fully have a feel for the ebb and flow of a game.
At that point in the game our defense was really giving Winston fits. Garrett fully understood the ebb and flow of the game...at that point our defense was playing great, so play smart offensively and let your D close it out. I have a hard time understanding how that could be perceived as poor situational awareness...it was flawless situational awareness. I know that because his game management at that point worked perfectly.

Top Bottom