Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Doctson a lot, but want that big DT with 34, I want Shepard in the 3rd ~sets judas figurine upsidedown~
Well if we don't take a QB at 4 then suddenly DT is in play in the first round which changes everything. I like Doctson as well potentially in the second round. He would be a really nice compliment to a young QB in the first. The problem is we really need defensive help and ignoring defense with our premium picks is painful. Lets see how free agency goes though.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well if we don't take a QB at 4 then suddenly DT is in play in the first round which changes everything. I like Doctson as well potentially in the second round. He would be a really nice compliment to a young QB in the first. The problem is we really need defensive help and ignoring defense with our premium picks is painful. Lets see how free agency goes though.
I think it's easier to find WR's like Dotson every year in the 2nd but you do not find the quality of DT's that could possibly be available this year.

But that all depends when the DT run starts and how deep it is, everybody worthy of that pick could be gone or somebody else gets pushed down.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I think it's easier to find WR's like Dotson every year in the 2nd but you do not find the quality of DT's that could possibly be available this year.

But that all depends when the DT run starts and how deep it is, everybody worthy of that pick could be gone or somebody else gets pushed down.
this is VERY true. If this class is as deep as it is at DT, you are going to get a much better value in a DT in the second round then WR. Love Doctson and think he goes in the first, but I think DT is a huge need in this draft class. If we don't go with Buckner, I think second round it's important to go DT

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Depending on what position you consider these guys here is my list of possible first round DT's:

1. Deforest Buckner
2. Sheldon Rankins
3. A'Shawn Robinson
4. Robert Nkemdiche
5. Jarran Reed
6. Kenny Clark
7. Austin Johnson
8. Andrew Billings
9.Vernon Butler

Just off the top of my head are possible first round DTs. There is no way in hell they all go in the first. But of course I'm also not in love with all of them either. Nkemdiche for example is a waste of time in my opinion. Jarran Reed isn't really enough of a play maker for my taste. Probably same for Austin Johnson (Both more 3-4 NT's in my opinion). But man if Butler, Billings or Clark is there in the second I don't even think twice about them. Honestly I wouldn't even care if we already took a DT in the first. Our DT spot is that much of a mess in my opinion. And remember the Panthers did that not too long ago and it worked out pretty well.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I can't see a position where Kenny Clark, Austin Johnson, Andrew Billings or Vernon Butler are not there with our 2nd round pick. There is just way too many DT's this year and you just know people are going to reach on Nkemdiche

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see a position where Kenny Clark, Austin Johnson, Andrew Billings or Vernon Butler are not there with our 2nd round pick. There is just way too many DT's this year and you just know people are going to reach on Nkemdiche
I didn't even like Nkemdiche before his stupidity getting kicked off the team. Someone will love him for his length and athletic ability but I don't get it. The guy has zero production. He isn't 300 pounds. He seems like one of these guys who plays like a big DE. Isn't physical enough for DT but isn't fast enough for DE.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Billings and Vernon Butler are the perfect fit for our defense. If either one of them are there I am jumping all over them in the second round

Jiggyfly

Banned
I could see most of those guys gone, outside of OT and DE there is no other position that has more than 3 1st round guys, out of 31 picks I could see 12 DT's gone.

The fact that WR and CB are pretty weak in 1st round quality I can see a lot of DT's gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could see most of those guys gone, outside of OT and DE there is no other position that has more than 3 1st round guys, out of 31 picks I could see 12 DT's gone.

The fact that WR and CB are pretty weak in 1st round quality I can see a lot of DT's gone.
I doubt that very seriously. I think teams will take WR's and corners for example that surprise you. Especially corners in the 20-31 pick ranges (Feels so weird only talking about 31 first rounders). But heaven forbid all the DTs go in the first round (The three I really like for the second are Billings, Butler and Clark. All guys that could play the 1 technique at a dominant level but also provide some pass rush) then you will be sitting there with some really good players in the second. That may be Ogbah from Oklahoma State, Derrick Henry, Doctson, Fuller or a laundry list of other guys.

The thing is players will go in the first who you don't expect to go in the first. Someone like William Jackson who blazed a 4.37 forty will end up going in the late first round.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I doubt that very seriously. I think teams will take WR's and corners for example that surprise you. Especially corners in the 20-31 pick ranges (Feels so weird only talking about 31 first rounders). But heaven forbid all the DTs go in the first round (The three I really like for the second are Billings, Butler and Clark. All guys that could play the 1 technique at a dominant level but also provide some pass rush) then you will be sitting there with some really good players in the second. That may be Ogbah from Oklahoma State, Derrick Henry, Doctson, Fuller or a laundry list of other guys.

The thing is players will go in the first who you don't expect to go in the first. Someone like William Jackson who blazed a 4.37 forty will end up going in the late first round.
All of those guys who might get picked in the 1st would make it 3 maybe 4 deep at those positions, that gets you to around 20 picks, that leaves around 15 picks before Dallas is up again.

Yeah 1 of those guys will be available but I don't see us having the guys that have been mentioned to pick from.

Just do the math, this is a rough estimate of positions being projected in the 1st round.

3 QB's
7 Ol's
3 WR's
5 DE's
3 CB's
1 RB.

That's 22 picks and all of these guys will not be picked in the 1st and there could be a couple
of surprise guys move up but that could include some DT's.

I don't think it's a reach to think 10 DT's could be taken in the 1st round.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
All of those guys who might get picked in the 1st would make it 3 maybe 4 deep at those positions, that gets you to around 20 picks, that leaves around 15 picks before Dallas is up again.

Yeah 1 of those guys will be available but I don't see us having the guys that have been mentioned to pick from.

Just do the math, this is a rough estimate of positions being projected in the 1st round.

3 QB's
7 Ol's
3 WR's
5 DE's
3 CB's
1 RB.

That's 22 picks and all of these guys will not be picked in the 1st and there could be a couple

There are only 31 picks in the 1st because the Patriots lost their pick.

I can also guarantee you that more than 3 CB's and 5 DE's go in the 1st.

Ramsey/Hargreaves are obviously locks, Alexander is probably a lock as well and then you have guys like Apple and Jackson who teams will certainly fall in love with due to their size/speed. Then at DE you have Bosa, Buckner, Spence and Lawson who are all 1st round locks, on top of Dodd, Bullard and Ogbah who are likely to go in that 1st/early 2nd range as well.

To me, it's much more likely that a guy like Apple or Dodd goes in the 1st than a guy like Austin Johnson or Kenny Clark.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

3 QB's
7 Ol's
3 WR's
5 DE's
3 CB's
1 RB.

10 DTs would have to be by far a record right? Do you know what the record is? I'm certainly not trying to say it's impossible, but when a draft is extra deep at a position players tend to fall at that position.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There are only 31 picks in the 1st because the Patriots lost their pick.

I can also guarantee you that more than 3 CB's and 5 DE's go in the 1st.

Ramsey/Hargreaves are obviously locks, Alexander is probably a lock as well and then you have guys like Apple and Jackson who teams will certainly fall in love with due to their size/speed. Then at DE you have Bosa, Buckner, Spence and Lawson who are all 1st round locks, on top of Dodd, Bullard and Ogbah who are likely to go in that 1st/early 2nd range as well.

To me, it's much more likely that a guy like Apple or Dodd goes in the 1st than a guy like Austin Johnson or Kenny Clark.
There could also only be 4 olineman taken and Dodd and Bullard are borderline 1st and there are still 3 more picks ahead of Dallas.

Like I said it depends on the run but I was more thinking guys like Billings and Clark will not likely be there at 34.

Jiggyfly

Banned
10 DTs would have to be by far a record right? Do you know what the record is? I'm certainly not trying to say it's impossible, but when a draft is extra deep at a position players tend to fall at that position.
I don't think that's far from a record most mock's have between 7 and 9 being taken this year.

Yeah somebody will fall but not the guys mentioned before IMO.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If we go QB in the 1st or heaven forbid Ramsey, I hope we go DL in the 2nd. Even with a potential record number of DL possibly going in rd 1, the position is so deep we should have a couple quality one's drop to us who would be worthy of a high 2nd pick.

But if we go DL with Bosa or Buckner in the 1st I'd like to see Lynch or D. Henry in the 2nd. Would even go WR or DL again (but I doubt we'd draft DL 1/2.) I just don't want a QB other than Lynch in the 2nd.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If we go QB in the 1st or heaven forbid Ramsey, I hope we go DL in the 2nd. Even with a potential record number of DL possibly going in rd 1, the position is so deep we should have a couple quality one's drop to us who would be worthy of a high 2nd pick.

But if we go DL with Bosa or Buckner in the 1st I'd like to see Lynch or D. Henry in the 2nd. Would even go WR or DL again (but I doubt we'd draft DL 1/2.) I just don't want a QB other than Lynch in the 2nd.
What if Goff drops out of the first due to having Trump hands?

GShock

DCC 4Life
Chiefs lose their 3rd round pick this year, and 6th rounder next year for tampering with Macklin.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Chiefs lose their 3rd round pick this year, and 6th rounder next year for tampering with Macklin.
Amazing to me.

I get if you did it for a great player and a guy who you really need to do a sell job for.

But Jeremy Maclin?

He was pretty much a slam dunk to reunite with Fat Andy and isn't all that to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom