Machota: Garrett - Bryant is not worried about a contract extension

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett: Dallas Cowboys WR Dez Bryant is not worried about a contract extension
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
5:53 pm on June 2, 2014 | Permalink

IRVING – Jason Garrett says if Dez Bryant is bothered about getting a long-term contract extension done before the start of the 2014 season, he’s not showing it.

The Dallas Cowboys head coach uncharacteristically shared a story and spoke at length Monday when the topic turned to Bryant’s professionalism.

During Garrett’s two-minute answer, he explained how Bryant chose to catch passes off a JUGS machine during a recent OTA special teams period.

“He’s over there by himself with a couple of managers, hammering footballs at him, catching balls,” Garrett said. “I told our film guy, ‘Film that.’ I showed our team that in the team meeting, because Dez Bryant arguably has the best hands I’ve ever seen. Players on our team feel the same way. He’s just such a natural, a natural catching the football. I tried to make the point to our team that you’re really not a natural catching the football, Dez just catches more balls than anybody else. He’s worn my arm out, he’s worn the managers’ arms out, the quarterbacks’ arms out.

“He loves the game. He has a great passion for the game. Contract aside, he’s not worried about that. He’s trying to get himself to be the best player he can be to help our team be the best it can be.”

Bryant is entering the final year of his rookie contract. He’s due to make $1.78 million in base salary this season. But when asked multiple questions Monday about a long-term deal, Bryant continued to say that he’s going to leave it up to his agent.

“I’m not just talking, I really do let that stuff take care of itself, because I care about this game,” Bryant said. “I’m not going to be out here, sitting out and doing all that crazy stuff. I’m just going to play football. If it’s deserved, it will come.”

Garrett played eight seasons with Michael Irvin in Dallas. He said Monday that Bryant shares some of the same leadership qualities as the Hall of Fame wide receiver.

“Michael Irvin set the pace and the tempo for our team all throughout the ‘90s,” Garrett said. “He worked harder than anybody else. And Dez Bryant has a lot of those same traits.

“He just does it the right way. He wants to play the game at a very high level. Any contract concerns don’t show up on the practice field.”

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
If true and I have no doubt it is, it's just another reason I hope he busts out huge this year. Not only for the team, but for the player and team mate he seems to have turned himself into.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He needs to go beat the shit out of some lazy asshole on the team and set the example like Irvin did.

As for best hands Garrett has ever seen? Whatever. Seen way too many drops.

Top Bottom