Fisher: Aikman Shares Thoughts On Norv Returning To Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Aikman Shares Thoughts On Norv Returning To Cowboys

By Mike Fisher | 105.3 The Fan, CBSDFW.com
January 7, 2014 11:45 AM

IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) – If the Dallas Cowboys dismiss offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, would the third time in flirting with Norv Turner be the charm to bring him back to Valley Ranch?

Legendary quarterback Troy Aikman – who maintains ties with both the Cowboys and his longtime friend and mentor Turner – wonders if Dallas’ dysfunction presents an obstacle to a reunion.

“I don’t think there’s anybody better than Norv Turner because I know what he meant to my career and I’ve seen what he’s done elsewhere with far lesser talent,’’ Aikman told me and Nathan Wood on 105.3 The Fan. “But I don’t think it’s quite as simple as what some might think even though he and Jason (Garrett) are close. The reason I say that is the Cowboys had an opportunity to hire Norv as head coach before they hired Wade Phillips (in 2007), and at the 11th hour they decided to hire Wade.”

“I’m not speaking for Norv because we’ve had no conversations as it relates to this,’’ Aikman continued. “But if it were me and that had happened to me, I’d say ‘Hey, I’m not real sure that I want to come be a part of this now.’”

In fact, that’s only one of the two times in recent years that Turner’s been involved in an “11th-hour’’ decision at Valley Ranch. As I reported last year, the Cowboys considered bringing Turner back into the fold as offensive coordinator before opting to stick with incumbent Bill Callahan.

Therefore, regarding a third flirtation, Aikman said, “I don’t think it’s quite as simple as what some might think even though he and Jason are close.’’

There are other complications here, including the fact that Turner is technically under contract in Cleveland even as Browns ownership performs what is eventually expected to be a clean sweep of the staff. And of course, Dallas has to make a decision on Callahan, who is still under contract with Dallas.

The biggest obstacle, though, might be the zig-zaggy organizational chart at Valley Ranch. I suggested to Aikman that maybe it’s time moving forward for the head coach to be given more authority by owner Jerry Jones in picking his offensive and defensive coordinators.

“Are you saying that’s not the way it’s been?’’ joked Aikman.

“I’ve owned businesses and I’ve been in the position of ownership to hire people to do jobs,’’ Aikman said. “When I was in the car business, the first GM I had I wasn’t real crazy about and I replaced him. Then I hired another GM who I held responsible for making the dealership profitable and bringing in the right salesmen and the right staff and mechanics and everything else we needed. I think you have to empower those people. That’s why you hire them. I’ve never quite understood whatever the situation is or has been in Dallas or elsewhere. But if you hire a head coach and don’t allow him to hire his staff, I think that’s problematic.’’

There is a history of crossing the wires under Jones, with existing staffers staying on to work for new head coaches.

“I felt that (was problematic) when I was playing,’’ Aikman said, “even as much as I liked a number of our assistant coaches who were with me while I was playing for the Cowboys. We replaced head coaches but the assistants never left. A number of those guys stayed, and I never agreed with it then. You don’t empower a head coach if you don’t allow him to hire his staff and allow him to really hold the players accountable. I think within every organization that I’ve seen as a broadcaster that has been successful, or those teams I was a part of that were successful, that’s the way it was operated. The head coach is the voice of the franchise, the voice of the football team, and coaches and players are accountable to him — and when that chain of command (isn’t followed), then in my opinion it’s very difficult to overcome those things.’’

I reported earlier this week that Garrett might have the desire to express that view to Jones, and that it might be fueling a change from Monte Kiffin on defense and from Callahan on offense. This would mean ownership doing something it rarely does. It would mean a shift toward convention. And, oddly, it would mean authority for a head coach in the final year of his contract.

But it still doesn’t mean Norv Turner – Aikman’s Super Bowl offensive coordinator, a 30-year NFL coach with 14 years as a head coach with the Redskins, Chargers and Raiders (and a hero inside of Valley Ranch) – automatically returns.

“Even though I think Norv would do everything that he could to help Jason and his situation,’’ Aikman told me, “I don’t think it’s as big of a slam dunk as some may think.’’
-------------------

Only dumbasses would think Norv Turner would want to come to Dallas.

Playing second fiddle to a novice like Jason Garrett? Really?

Jones has already passed him over for the head coaching job for Wade Phillips. Yep. Him.

Why would he want to come on board for a year when it is very conceivable he gets rolled up with Garrett when Jones fires everyone?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Funny how this year, every where you look people are talking about wanting Norv to come to Dallas to coach. Every other year, most people were against bringing him back. As HC or as OC.

Pretty strong testament to the shittyness of Jason Garrett.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Why would he want to come on board for a year when it is very conceivable he gets rolled up with Garrett when Jones fires everyone?
Legit question and surely one that Norv would have to ask himself. Hell, history has shown that Garrett doesn't even have to get fired for his coordinators to get the axe after only a year or two.

Still, he probably couldn't resist the job knowing he'd have the privilege of working in that wonderful stadium though. :art

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm so sick of dipping into the early 90's to try and regain success. Norv was a good coach but I want nothing to do with him at this point. He is beyond a retread.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm so sick of dipping into the early 90's to try and regain success. Norv was a good coach but I want nothing to do with him at this point. He is beyond a retread.
Agreed. Familiarity is not what we need more of.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Retread or not, Norv would be a major upgrade over the morons we have running things right now -- if he was allowed to run the offense without any meddling. But I can't see him wanting to wade into the pool of dysfunction Jerry has built in Dallas. He'll be able to get OC jobs in the league as long as wants to. There's no need for him to step into the mess at Valley Ranch.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Can anyone think of a place Turner had substantial success other than as OC to the Dallas team? He was fortunate to have a good HC and exceptional players. He was only average at best at every other job he held. Dallas has a below average HC and slightly above average personnel as a whole. Turner would fail here as well now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Can anyone think of a place Turner had substantial success other than as OC to the Dallas team? He was fortunate to have a good HC and exceptional players. He was only average at best at every other job he held. Dallas has a below average HC and slightly above average personnel as a whole. Turner would fail here as well now.
Before LT fell apart his offense in SD was to be reckoned with. It wasn't just the stats. He had playoff wins in SD and his play calling was as razor sharp as ever in the few games I watched.

GShock

DCC 4Life
This is going to be a very real problem for any coaching hires. At this point, Garrett is the lamest of lame ducks. I am sure we will be able to hire bodies to fill the positions, but the positions will be even less desirable given the 1-year zombie season that is looming than they are in their typical dysfunctional state.

We are seeding the clouds for the perfect storm of suck for next season.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Before LT fell apart his offense in SD was to be reckoned with. It wasn't just the stats. He had playoff wins in SD and his play calling was as razor sharp as ever in the few games I watched.
He also had Alex Smith playing at a high level while in SF.

p1_

DCC 4Life
At least Norv believes in running the football. Im sure that wouldn't set well with Romo, though.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think Romo would mind running at all.

Top Bottom