Machota - Jerry Jones on if the Dallas Cowboys would draft Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones on if the Dallas Cowboys would draft Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
2:18 pm on May 1, 2013 |

It makes sense that football fans in Texas, especially Texas A&M fans, would like to see Johnny Manziel as the future quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.

If Manziel has the type of Heisman Trophy-season he did last year, there’s a good chance that he’ll leave Texas A&M after his sophomore season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. If that happens, it’s very possible that he would be drafted in the first round and maybe within one of the first few picks.

Would the Cowboys be interested in spending their 2014 first-round pick on a quarterback after recently giving Tony Romo a six-year, $108 million contract extension?

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was asked that Wednesday during a conference call with season-ticket holders.

“Although we’ve just signed Romo, there’s a time when you start at quarterback, preparing for the future,” Jones explained. “We can’t talk about, I’m forbidden, from league rules of talking at all about an undrafted player, a player that still has eligibility. That has as much to do with your competitive aspect of other teams not liking that. In other words, what are you doing? Are you trying to recruit? Are you getting ahead of things?

“I can’t talk about him but, gosh, do I enjoy watching him and I am enjoying our Heisman Trophy winner.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If this team sucks big old balls next year and nets a top 10 pick I look for us to go QB considering how the class might look next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If this team sucks big old balls next year and nets a top 10 pick I look for us to go QB considering how the class might look next year.
Jones would draft the hell out of Manziel if given the chance, IMO.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My initial response is that I would like to have him on my team regardless. Having said that, this season could be a make or break season for him. Obviously team's will be more prepared for him and it will be interesting to see whether he can maintain his momentum. He will either be great or a bum. He will not be average.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I like Manziel. Don't care if he's short. IMO, the little bastard can play. He's a lot like Russell Wilson with a higher profile in the college game. He's very elusive with a quick release.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wouldn't surprise me if he made a major try to trade up to get him if we're too low to get him outright. The rapeage will be painful.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wouldn't surprise me if he made a major try to trade up to get him if we're too low to get him outright. The rapeage will be painful.
No it wouldn't.

He'd claim that since "we" invented the trade chart that it really wasn't rapeage.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not saying it was possible, but it would have been nice to trade out of the first round entirely and get a second and future first. That way we'd actually have ammo to land Manziel potentially.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I dunno.... if you are trading up to get an Andrew Luck-type player, I'm not sure you CAN overpay.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I dunno.... if you are trading up to get an Andrew Luck-type player, I'm not sure you CAN overpay.
Manziel is basically a Romo clone. I can see Jerry Jones overpaying for that.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Not saying it was possible, but it would have been nice to trade out of the first round entirely and get a second and future first. That way we'd actually have ammo to land Manziel potentially.
I don't want any part of that bust in the making.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was just going to make a comment about him not crumbling in big games.
He has had one year so it is a little soon to give him a permanent label. He will be his own biggest enemy because of his attitude. He comes across as a bit arrogant and egotistical. That's o.k. if he can keep it in check but it can also alienate him from his team mates. Again this season will be a make or break situation for him especially with the opponents game plans for him.

Top Bottom