MAcMahon: Undrafted QB aims to prove he's a keeper

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Undrafted QB aims to prove he's a keeper

May, 20, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys passed on Johnny Manziel with the 16th overall pick, but they did add a rookie quarterback from A&M to their roster to be more than a camp arm. Well, West Texas A&M.

Undrafted free agent Dustin Vaughan is known for two things: lighting up Division II competition and starring as the Christmas-sweater-sporting prima donna in ahilarious workout parody video. Not necessarily in that order.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Vaughan’s goal for the next few months is to prove he’s worthy of the Cowboys keeping as a developmental prospect.

“I want to play for the Dallas Cowboys,” said Vaughan, whose chances of making the 53-man roster would increase significantly if Kyle Orton’s situation ends with the backup QB off the roster. “I want to find a role on the team that I can fit. I think that’s my job coming in here. That’s why they had me come, to find a role and to see if I could fit in.”

The Cowboys gave Vaughan a sixth-round grade and signed him soon after the draft ended. He turned down offers from the Atlanta Falcons and St. Louis Rams to sign with Dallas, which gave him a $5,000 bonus that tied for the third largest among their crop of 24 undrafted free agents.

Vaughan dominated Division II competition the past two seasons, throwing for 10,113 yards and 98 touchdowns while leading West Texas A&M to a 25-6 record. After playing in a spread offense at a small school, Vaughan’s challenge is to learn how to play under center while making a massive jump in the level of competition.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett cites Vaughan’s remarkable college production, poise, intelligence and throwing ability as reasons the Cowboys believe he has potential.

“He’s raw, but he’s a big kid, strong-armed, gym-rat type of guy,” quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said. “He’s somebody that you could possibly develop.”

Vaughan considers the Cowboys as an ideal situation for an undrafted quarterback trying to carve out an NFL career. He's well aware Tony Romo is one of the most successful undrafted quarterbacks in NFL history and looks forward to learning from him. He’ll also have the opportunity to learn from two coaches who lasted a long time in the league after coming in as long shots in Garrett (undrafted) and Wilson (eighth-round pick).

“This was definitely the situation that I wanted to be in,” Vaughan said. “It’s a great place to come in and learn from guys that have done it and have gone through what I’m going through right now, to be able to learn and be like a sponge.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The organization that nurtured Romo for three years before testing him in his 4th year doesn't exist anymore

Parcells, Payton, Lee stood by Romo while Jerry paraded jokers like Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and Drew Henson and retread FOBs like Vinnie Tesaverde and Drew Bledsoe higher on the depth chart. They made sure he didn't play a down until he was ready and chomping at the bit to press Bledsoe.

Where besides New England can something like that happen today?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The organization that nurtured Romo for three years before testing him in his 4th year doesn't exist anymore

Parcells, Payton, Lee stood by Romo while Jerry paraded jokers like Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and Drew Henson and retread FOBs like Vinnie Tesaverde and Drew Bledsoe higher on the depth chart. They made sure he didn't play a down until he was ready and chomping at the bit to press Bledsoe.

Where besides New England can something like that happen today?
Denver.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Maybe, but if grooming QB's was a strength you'd think they'd have managed to not reach/bust on Tebow and sign Manning.

I do like Fox, though. The guy has a background I can respect.
You're confusing the McDaniels administration for this one.

They drafted Brock Osweiler in the second round in 2012 and he's been sitting behind Manning for 2 years. The way Manning is going he may leave as a free agent before the Denver job is open, but they are using their situation to develop a QB.

New England apparently wants Mallet to be their backup for another year then let him go in Free Agency then plug Jimmy Garoppolo into that spot behind Brady. I expected Mallett to be traded to Houston for a pick, but I guess they don't subscribe to the theory that "if Brady goes down we're screwed anyway".

Top Bottom