College Basketball Chatter

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Carolina has now beaten the preseason #1, #2 and #3 (Michigan State, Louisville and Kentucky).

Those two losses to Belmont and UAB are mystifying and are keeping us from the clear #1 ranking.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Carolina has now beaten the preseason #1, #2 and #3 (Michigan State, Louisville and Kentucky).

Those two losses to Belmont and UAB are mystifying and are keeping us from the clear #1 ranking.

Whats even more retarded is that the Puke Blue Devils have beaten Michigan State and a bunch of Gardner Webbs, lost to #4 and #5 but is somehow ranked #8....but yet Carolina has soundly beaten #1, #2, and #3...and is ranked 14th. :lol

One of the main reasons I hate Duke with a passion...the Sportwriters love sucking Krzyzewski's dick.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
UNC SG Leslie McDonald was re-instated after missing 9 games for receiving improper benefits in the form of $1,783 in parking tickets and lodging.

So gay.

Anyway, that's great news for UNC. McDonald, along with the much better, and likely first round pick, PJ Hairston, were supposed to be UNC's two main shooting guards and two main shooters, really. Marcus Paige and Nate Britt were to be the point guards. JP Tokoto was going to be a SF.

Instead, with both McDonald and Hairston suspended, Britt has seen increased minutes at PG while Paige has shifted over to play SG, and Tokoto has had to move from SF to SG as well. Basically, we've had a three-player back court so far in Britt, Paige, and Tokoto, with Paige and Tokoto both having to play out of position and cover at SG.

McDonald back is great news. Even though he would not have started over Hairston, he's a capable player who can eat up starter's minutes. This allows Paige to go back to PG and Tokoto to go back to SF where they are each more effective. Because Tokoto had been playing SG, meanwhile, James Michael McAdoo (mostly a PF) had to see time at SF, where he was no threat to shoot from outside either. He can now go back to PF.

Inserting a player who is a proven three point threat and reliable free throw shooter into the lineup, which allows three other good players to return to their natural positions, is a huge benefit for UNC.

Now we just need to get Hairston back and we could contend for a title, possibly.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
So ND loses their top scorer in Jerian Grant for academic issues (should be back next year for final season) before we even play our first ACC game and this team was already thin (only 9 scholarship players who are healthy and not redshirting). Ugh.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Now we just need to get Hairston back and we could contend for a title, possibly.
:lol

North Carolina announced Friday that it will not seek reinstatement from the NCAA for junior guard P.J. Hairston, a decision that ends Hairston's career with the Tar Heels.

Following a high-profile investigation that lasted more than six months, North Carolina issued a statement that did not specify any rule violations committed by Hairston, who had already sat the first 10 games of North Carolina's season.

"Unfortunately P.J. made a number of mistakes that placed his eligibility at risk and the university's joint review with the NCAA made it clear that seeking reinstatement for P.J. would not be possible," North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement. "The university thanks him for his contributions to Carolina Basketball."

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Notre Dame's first ACC game is a home win over Duke without our top scorer. Not too bad. Should've beat Ohio St. a few weeks back, too. Blew an 8 point lead with less than 2 minutes left.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Gus and Raftery on Fox Sports 1...yes please.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I bet that Texas Tech fan did drop the N-bomb or some other racial slur on Marcus Smart. You can tell by Smart's reaction that the guy said something outside of normal trash talk. These guys hear stuff like "you suck", "loser", "choker", etc. all the time. Clearly he heard the magic word and reacted accordingly.

I'd like to get a comment or two from the fans sitting around the fan who was shoved. They should be able to confirm what was said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I bet that Texas Tech fan did drop the N-bomb or some other racial slur on Marcus Smart. You can tell by Smart's reaction that the guy said something outside of normal trash talk. These guys hear stuff like "you suck", "loser", "choker", etc. all the time. Clearly he heard the magic word and reacted accordingly.

I'd like to get a comment or two from the fans sitting around the fan who was shoved. They should be able to confirm what was said.
It's embarrassing if it's true. But, wouldn't be surprising. Fucking rednecks.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't know if anyone watched the OSU press conference about this Smart thing, but from everything that I can tell Orr (the fan) didn't throw out any slurs. I just can't imagine people patting him on the back if he called him a "negro" or told him to go back to Africa. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but you have to hope for humanity's sake they wouldn't. Sounds like both sides have some fault in this. Orr claims he just called him a piece of crap. So, who knows.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Oh, all he did was call a student athlete a piece of crap. He seems like a very well-adjusted adult.

Gunzzzz up!

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't buy it. I'm sure the player has heard that crap before. Something set that player off.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Oh, all he did was call a student athlete a piece of crap. He seems like a very well-adjusted adult.

Gunzzzz up!
Every school has these idiots.

Cotton

Staff member

Gunzzzz up!
There is a huge difference between calling someone a piece of crap and dropping the N word. I'm not defending the fan, just saying that the reaction to him pushing him should be way different if he did throw out a slur. People yell all kinds of things when their team wins a big game. "Piece of crap" would be mild, IMO. But, again, it's still not clear what he said to him, so who know.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't buy it. I'm sure the player has heard that crap before. Something set that player off.
One thing might be that he committed the foul that lost them the game. Stacked on top of a fan 5 feet away yelling crap at him might have pushed him over the edge.

If it was the N word, I can understand his reaction. If it wasn't, I can't.

D

Deuce

He may not have gone full on N bomb, but I'm guessing it was far worse than piece of crap. Smart probably has some personal baggage that he brought up. That seems to set players off all the time.

D

Deuce

Watching the gif a few times, "piece of crap" is very clearly not what was said just prior to the shove. It was probably littered into a sentence with far worse phrases.

Cotton

Staff member
Official statement from TTU:

In conjunction with a review of the actions of Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart by the Big 12 Conference, Texas Tech has completed its own thorough investigation regarding the incident at last night's basketball game involving Red Raider fan Jeff Orr. Texas Tech interviewed Mr. Orr along with numerous fans, photographers and arena personnel that were seated in the area surrounding him. Mr. Orr vehemently denied the accusation that he used a racial slur and no one in the vicinity of Mr. Orr heard such a slur.

Mr. Orr has admitted to directing an inappropriate phrase toward Marcus Smart. Texas Tech has been able to verify that statement independently through video provided by Texas Tech Sports Broadcasting. At no point on the film can a racial slur be heard.

Texas Tech is committed to sportsmanship and expects fans to abide by the rules set forth by the Big 12 Conference and the university. Comments such as those used by Mr. Orr are unacceptable and not condoned by Texas Tech University.

As a result of this incident, Mr. Orr has voluntarily agreed to not attend a Texas Tech home or away basketball game for the remainder of the season.

Cotton

Staff member
Watching the gif a few times, "piece of crap" is very clearly not what was said just prior to the shove. It was probably littered into a sentence with far worse phrases.
What was said that set him off was before Smart stood up and you can't see Orr at that point.

Top Bottom