NFL Broadcaster Pat Summerall Dies

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Gus Johnson is one guy I do not like at all.

I know I'm in the minority on that one, but I find his emotion to be over the top and annoying.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If I thought Gus Johnson was faking, then yeah, but I always got the impression that he really felt that way about whatever game he was coaching. Fox is getting his chops up on soccer now so he can do The World Cup.

As an aside...the Cohen, Darling, Hernandez crew for the Mets is the best in baseball...no one is close.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It isn't the yelling that bothers me so much, I guess it's just his style.

Harlan is a guy who uses a lot of emotion but it doesn't bother me.

I'm just not a fan of the guy.:shrug

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I get buckets!

Carp

DCC 4Life
Kenny Albert is another solid guy, although the Moose and Goose thing has run it's course for me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Kenny Albert is another solid guy, although the Moose and Goose thing has run it's course for me.
Dick Stockton is really good at football, IMO, so I didn't like seeing him get replaced. But Kenny Albert is ok so at least they replaced him with someone decent.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dick Stockton will always be the NBA to me...back when it was Bird and Magic.

dallen

Senior Tech
If I thought Gus Johnson was faking, then yeah, but I always got the impression that he really felt that way about whatever game he was coaching. Fox is getting his chops up on soccer now so he can do The World Cup.

As an aside...the Cohen, Darling, Hernandez crew for the Mets is the best in baseball...no one is close.
That's a good plan for them. iIve always thought that what soccer needed more than anything was a Pat Summerall\John Madden broadcast team that can sell it to the public.

dallen

Senior Tech

Josh Lewin and Tom Grieve were great together on Rangers games until the new ownership ran Lewin out. Its a shame too. The new guys have all been bad, imo.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's a good plan for them. iIve always thought that what soccer needed more than anything was a Pat Summerall\John Madden broadcast team that can sell it to the public.
Well, that is true.

Soccer announcers are known for their emotion and he definitely has plenty of that. He just has a lot to learn about the game but as Carp mentioned, they've thrown him head first into this thing and he's already been sent to Europe a few times to do live games.

He's getting the crash course and I bet his paychecks are gonna look even sweeter as a result.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
Dick Stockton is really good at football, IMO, so I didn't like seeing him get replaced. But Kenny Albert is ok so at least they replaced him with someone decent.
Stockton, Moose, and Goose was a really good B team. It really isn't the same with Albert

Carp

DCC 4Life
They spend too much time with Goose doing his song and dance on the sideline.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Dick Stockton will always be the NBA to me...back when it was Bird and Magic.
I was watching a Pacers/Knicks game from the 90's the other day and it was awesome seeing how great NBA on NBC was. From Marv Albert to Tom Hammond announcing games to the great overall production.

And who could forget the iconic theme song?

I think the 90's were the best era of basketball I've seen and I doubt it will ever get better than that.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They spend too much time with Goose doing his song and dance on the sideline.
I really don't think he adds anything to that trio.

I can't remember the last time he said something interesting or gave the audience some type of insight from a football perspective.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I lean towards the 80s because there were multiple great teams...the 90s was dominated by the Bulls. That Rockets vs Knicks Finals set the game of basketball back years.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm struggling to think of a Pat Summerall go to line.

Like "Onions" - Bill Raftery or ".....with no regard for human life" - Kevin Harlan

Did Summerall have one?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I lean towards the 80s because there were multiple great teams...the 90s was dominated by the Bulls. That Rockets vs Knicks Finals set the game of basketball back years.
Compared to Rockets vs Magic, that Knicks finals was an all time classic.

You just don't see real rivalries like you did in the 80's and 90's. The Knicks/Celtics/Pacers/Bulls/Pistons genuinely hated each other and those games were always physical.

I think the last time I felt two teams hated one another in basketball was the early 2000's Lakers and Kings.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm struggling to think of a Pat Summerall go to line.

Like "Onions" - Bill Raftery or ".....with no regard for human life" - Kevin Harlan

Did Summerall have one?
:lol @ the Harlan line which is one I like.

As for Summerall, I don't think he had a signature line but his trademark was being able to sum things up in just a word or two.

This was especially useful after Madden's ramblings.

Top Bottom