Washington Redtails? LMAO

Kbrown

Not So New Member
My point is who should get to decide what is an offensive word and what isn't? If some dumb congressional bitch from Minnesota says it's offensive to use the word black do we all have to agree that this is offensive and have to start using the word dark?

I know that's a bit of a stretch, but it makes my point.
Um, the same way any words come to carry the connotations they do: by developing meaning over time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Um, the same way any words come to carry the connotations they do: by developing meaning over time.
The word retard (in some circles) is now deemed as offensive.

I, on the other hand, don't see it as such.

Same with geezer, mick, queer, woman, etc,

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It was a slur; I'd argue that it's use as the respected mascot of a football team over the past 60 years has caused the word to transcend any derogatory meaning at this point in history.

Regardless, anyone who fakes "offense" at the term Washington Redskins is not being honest. The use of the word carries no more harmful intent than "Fighting Irish" or other non-offensive but commonly used stereotypes in today's society. Any evil that stems from the use of that word has long since died out.

The people who are looking to be offended by it are out just to get their names in the papers. There is no current regime of Native American prejudice occuring in this country, at least not anywhere around Washington DC.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It was a slur; I'd argue that it's use as the respected mascot of a football team over the past 60 years has caused the word to transcend any derogatory meaning at this point in history.

Regardless, anyone who fakes "offense" at the term Washington Redskins is not being honest. The use of the word carries no more harmful intent than "Fighting Irish" or other non-offensive but commonly used stereotypes in today's society. Any evil that stems from the use of that word has long since died out.

The people who are looking to be offended by it are out just to get their names in the papers. There is no current regime of Native American prejudice occuring in this country, at least not anywhere around Washington DC.
:lol

Kbrown

Not So New Member
It was a slur; I'd argue that it's use as the respected mascot of a football team over the past 60 years has transcended any derogatory meaning at this point in history.
It just doesn't carry the positive historical connotation like the other human mascots--Patriots or the Packers, for example--in a way that would compensate, IMO.

I am not saying they should be forced by the government or the league, but it is 2013 and they do represent our capital city.

Cotton

Staff member

I absolutely agree. Hell, I would wager half the people on this very board don't even know where the term Honky comes from.

Cotton

Staff member
It just doesn't carry the positive historical connotation like the other human mascots--Patriots or the Packers, for example--in a way that would compensate, IMO.

I am not saying they should be forced by the government or the league, but it is 2013 and they do represent our capital city.
So, would RedEaglesBullHorn be okay?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd like some idiot to tell me that "Fighting Irish" isn't just as derogatory about Irish people and alcoholism.

The fact that no one is up in arms over that name proves the disingenuous argument from people like Bipo on this subject.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, that was a reach on my part. Still, my bigger point is we are going to need a book eventually to keep organized all of the offensive words versus non.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I'd like some idiot to tell me that "Fighting Irish" isn't just as derogatory about Irish people and alcoholism.

The fact that no one is up in arms over that name proves the disingenuous argument from people like Bipo on this subject.
It isn't the Drunk Irish. And it is a Catholic university, which represents a certain kinship with the vast majority of Irish people. If a reservation's football team or a university founded by the Sioux wants to name itself the Redskins, be my guest.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
This board is full of smug white assholes that have no fucking idea what it is like to be victimized by racism.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It is the worst slur you can call a Native American.

Equivalent to all the slurs I posted above.
:lol No, it's not.

I grew up on the res. There is much worse things you can call them.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This board is full of smug white assholes that have no fucking idea what it is like to be victimized by racism.
Wrong. Try growing up as one of the few white kids in the middle of an indian reservation. Until then, stfu about shit you know nothing about.

Cotton

Staff member
So, now it's a racist thing, not just a derogatory thing. You are off the frickin' reservation sometimes.

No offense to our Indian (feather not dot) members.

Cotton

Staff member
Wrong. Try growing up as one of the few white kids in the middle of an indian reservation. Until then, stfu about shit you know nothing about.
You can't call it racist if you are the white person on the end of it.

It's in the rules.

Cotton

Staff member
I wonder if the term Ginger is considered offensive now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I absolutely agree. Hell, I would wager half the people on this very board don't even know where the term Honky comes from.
I do. And that's not a marriage acceptance.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It isn't the Drunk Irish.
Uh, what do you think the term fighting Irish implies?

And it is a Catholic university, which represents a certain kinship with the vast majority of Irish people. If a reservation's football team or a university founded by the Sioux wants to name itself the Redskins, be my guest.
Really? Notre Dame University speaks for all Irish people?

It doesn't have the monopoly on that any more than Dan Snyder has the monopoly on speaking for Native Americans, and by that I mean, neither of them represent the respective ethnicities one single bit.

Top Bottom