Watkins: Kyle Orton still not working out

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd also prefer it if he retires honestly, that way if Romo gets hurt there's no safety blanket to keep us somewhat afloat. In that case we go straight to the top 5 of the draft, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys still hopeful Kyle Orton shows up for the mandatory minicamp with a desire to play this season

The Cowboys continue to maintain they expect Kyle Orton back for the mandatory minicamp next month. But they expected him for the voluntary work, too, and he didn't show up.

The backup quarterback continues to be a no-show for the team's offseason work.

"It’s always good for quarterbacks, really for any player to be here and get the reps and go through meetings, be out on the practice field and compete against your teammates," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Tuesday. "That’s a good thing. When guys aren’t here, those are missed opportunities. Kyle’s a smart football player. He’s played for a long time in this league. I think he understands our system of football. He’s more able to handle not being here than maybe some are. Having said that, we want all our football players here practicing with their teammates and trying to get better."

The Cowboys want Orton to return as Tony Romo's primary backup. He would have to repay $3 million of his $5 million signing bonus if he retires. The Cowboys have no plans to release him.

Garrett was asked Tuesday if it's hard to trust a player who contemplates retirement: “I don’t want to get into the specifics of that. I think all situations are different. Certainly, we’ll talk to our players and get a feel for what their mindset is. We had a situation a couple of years ago with Cole Beasley. In training camp, he came into my office and said, ‘I don’t want to play anymore.’ We talked it through, had a conversation and laid out some parameters and tried to help him through that situation, because the track record of Cole Beasley in a short period of time spoke to us and spoke for itself. Sometimes things happen in someone’s life, and they get off line a little bit, and sometimes you’ve got to help them get back on line. We did that with him (Beasley), and a couple days later he comes back and he’s really done a good job for us since then. You take each situation individually and understand what the circumstances are and try to make your best decisions – for the football team, first and foremost, but for the player as well.”

-- Charean Williams

Cotton

Staff member
Jason Garrett expects to speak with Kyle Orton soon

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he anticipates having a conversation with backup quarterback Kyle Orton before next week's mandatory minicamp.

"I haven’t spoken with him directly," Garrett said Thursday. "I'm trying to get with him. He’s trying to get with me. And hopefully we have a good conversation."

Garrett and Orton share the same agent, David Dunn.

While saying they anticipate Orton taking part in the three-day minicamp, the Cowboys don't know for certain that the backup quarterback will show. He faces daily fines, which would total $69,455 for the three days.

Orton, 31, has skipped the voluntary off-season program, including the 10 days of organized team activities while contemplating his future. He would have to repay the Cowboys $3 million of his $5 million signing bonus if he retires. He is scheduled to make $3.25 million this season.

New playcaller Scott Linehan said Tuesday that Orton does not have a copy of the team's playbook.

The Cowboys signed Brandon Weeden as a backup plan in March. He has been taking first-team reps in the OTAs with starter Tony Romo still recovering from the back surgery he underwent in December.

-- Charean Williams

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys retirement standoff with QB Kyle Orton moving to training camp

Now that mini camp is over, the retirement standoff between the Dallas Cowboys and backup quarterback Kyle Orton has now been moved to training camp in Oxnard, Ca.

Orton has been fined roughly $70,000 for missing minicamp.

And he will be fined $30,000 each day if he doesn’t report to training camp with the team July 23.

The first practice is set for July 24.

Coach Jason Garrett said he has not talked to Orton but has been in touch his agent David Dunn, who was interestingly at the team’s Valley Ranch headquarters on Wednesday but had no comment on the AWOL quarterback.

“We anticipate him being at training camp,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Communication is a big part of that situation, trying to understand why he wasn’t here and taking the necessary work. ... What we have to do and need to do as an organization is penalize him the necessary amounts of fines and those kinds of things. We also just want to understand and communicate and try to figure out [how] this situation is going to play out that’s best for the Dallas Cowboys and for Kyle Orton.”

If Orton wanted to play for the Cowboys in 2014 he would have been in minicamp.

If he retires, Orton would have to repay $3 million to the Cowboys so he wants to be cut.

The Cowboys have no interest in cutting Orton and letting him walk away free and clear -- not after getting played by nose tackle Jay Ratliff a year ago when he forced his way off the team by feigning a season-ending injury only to sign with Chicago Bears after being cut by the Cowboys.

If Orton shows up for training camp and passes the physical, the Cowboys may have no choice.

They have already moved on from Orton on the field with Brandon Weeden on board as the primary backup to Tony Romo.

Weeden even acknowledged that when he signed with the Cowboys in March he knew of Orton's interest in not wanting to play. The Cowboys have known it all along as well.

Besides there is no way they can keep Orton on the roster after this off-season stunt. You can't preach to your team about being accountable to each other, about being all in and selfless and then bring Orton back into the locker room.

And if the Cowboys cut Orton in training camp or after training camp, there is nothing they can do to get the $3 million back.

The Cowboys do get to save his $3.25 million base salary for this year, money they could use to sign tackle Tyron Smith and/or receiver Dez Bryant to long-term contract extensions.

But that pro-rated bonus money they hope to get back is all but lost.

The Cowboys could try to file a grievance, citing Orton as a distraction to the team due to attitude/actions. But that is hard to prove, especially if he shows up to training camp in shape and attends meetings on time.

The off-season program is voluntary. And the minicamps are mandatory in name only considering players are fined only $70,000 for missing the three-day workouts.

And regarding that mini camp fine and the training camp fine if he misses, there is also little the Cowboys can do to get that money either. Fines are taken out of your salary. Salaries are only paid during the regular season.

If Orton is not on the team, where is the money coming from?

They might as well move on now.

Clarence Hill

Carl

RIP Brother
Just move on from Orton. Who the fuck does he think he is. The latest in a long line of veterans stealing money here. Neither Orton or Weeden is the answer, so go with the cheaper option and be done.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just move on from Orton. Who the fuck does he think he is. The latest in a long line of veterans stealing money here. Neither Orton or Weeden is the answer, so go with the cheaper option and be done.
I would cut the guy in a second and just deal with the cap consequences. But of course, he probably took the Jay Ratliff online course on how to rip off our inept front office for millions.

What I find funny is that people actually believe the Cowboys have leverage here. All the guy has to do is pay the fines and show up for training camp and pass his physical.

Eventually he will be a distraction that has to be cut. In the end, he'll win the staring contest with Jerry. Nearly everybody does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would cut the guy in a second and just deal with the cap consequences. But of course, he probably took the Jay Ratliff online course on how to rip off our inept front office for millions.

What I find funny is that people actually believe the Cowboys have leverage here. All the guy has to do is pay the fines and show up for training camp and pass his physical.

Eventually he will be a distraction that has to be cut. In the end, he'll win the staring contest with Jerry. Nearly everybody does.
The problem is I don't think he wants to show up for training camp. I don't think he wants to have to pass the physical tests. I don't think he wants to show up and do any work what so ever. The Cowboys only win if they push it to that point. It makes no difference if they cut him today or during training camp.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The problem is I don't think he wants to show up for training camp. I don't think he wants to have to pass the physical tests. I don't think he wants to show up and do any work what so ever. The Cowboys only win if they push it to that point. It makes no difference if they cut him today or during training camp.
I get that but they have to break this cycle started by Ratliff and others that the front office can be bent over at any time.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
What I don't get is why he would owe 3.x mil back, he originally had a 3 year deal with a 5mil bonus spread over the 3 years so shouldn't he only owe the 3rd year part of the bonus? If he brought up he may want to retire awhile back(and Weeden saying he came here because he knew he'd have good chance to be the backup supports this) and Jerry & son said ok you owe 3mil instead of the 1.5 or whatever just because he agreed to restructure to help out the cap then I don't blame him for sticking it to Jer

Cotton

Staff member

Jerry has to hold strong. It's the only way the team gets back 3 mill of his signing bonus. Jerry will knee-jerk and cut him like a moron. Make him fulfill his contract, or fine him daily if he doesn't.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think they are doing the right thing here...make the guy retire and give back the money. The cap space is not important right now, so just let this thing run it's course.

Cotton

Staff member
I think they are doing the right thing here...make the guy retire and give back the money. The cap space is not important right now, so just let this thing run it's course.
Yep.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is exactly correct. People have no room to bitch about this situation and Jerry just yet.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I get that but they have to break this cycle started by Ratliff and others that the front office can be bent over at any time.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Whether they cut him or not, they're still getting bent over. It's what he wants. And more than likely, it's what he'll eventually get. Along with that 3 mil.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
This is exactly correct. People have no room to bitch about this situation and Jerry just yet.
People damn sure have the right to bitch about Jerry's past. And in turn what could happen. Jerry is a moron, but hopefully this time he will get it right

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
People damn sure have the right to bitch about Jerry's past. And in turn what could happen. Jerry is a moron, but hopefully this time he will get it right

As far as this situation goes he is playing it correctly so far though. I agree, there is plenty to bitch about with Jerry. It's why people are quick to jump the gun with him.

Cotton

Staff member
Kyle Orton's agent visits Valley Ranch
June, 20, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- David Dunn, the agent for Cowboys backup quarterback Kyle Orton, visited Valley Ranch this week. Although he declined comment regarding his client, there appears to be no movement on whether Orton will come to training camp.

Orton missed all of offseason workouts and was subjected to fines totaling close to $70,000. Orton is thinking of retirement and that’s been known since the 2013 season ended.

Backup quarterback Brandon Weeden said he heard about Orton's desire to retire before signing with the Cowboys this spring.

During the NFL owners meetings, Dunn said Orton would report to offseason workouts but that hasn't occurred.

“We'll make contact with him and his representatives and we anticipate him being at training camp,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Communication is a big part of that situation and trying to understand why he wasn't here and taking the necessary steps you try and look at a guy's body of work.”

Orton is a valued player on the roster, yet his lack of commitment to the 2014 season has raised doubts about whether he's worth keeping around.

Cowboys officials will do what they can, meaning fine Orton based on the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. If Orton files retirement paperwork with the league, the Cowboys could ask for signing bonus money back ($3.4 million).

With Orton missing the offseason workouts, Brandon Weeden moved to No. 2 on the depth chart.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Orton more likely than not to show up, eventually

Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Cowboys quarterback Kyle Orton has remained absent from the team throughout the offseason and likewise silent about his plans. The Cowboys thought he’d show up for a mandatory minicamp, and he didn’t.

The current thinking is that Orton will eventually report for duty, with a 70-30 chance of Orton walking through the door when training camp opens. The other alternative is retirement, which would cost Orton $3 million of his $5 million signing bonus from 2012.

Orton presumably hopes the Cowboys will cut him before practice resumes on July 24, but that remains the least likely outcome by far.

“We anticipate him being at training camp,” coach Jason Garrett said after the conclusion of the team’s three-day minicamp, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “Communication is a big part of that situation, trying to understand why he wasn’t here and taking the necessary work. . . . What we have to do and need to do as an organization is penalize him the necessary amounts of fines and those kinds of things. We also just want to understand and communicate and try to figure out [how] this situation is going to play out that’s best for the Dallas Cowboys and for Kyle Orton.”

Orton could show up and then hope the Cowboys cut him, especially if they have determined that Brandon Weeden will serve as a more capable and willing backup to Tony Romo.

Orton started the team’s final regular-season game of the 2013 season, presiding over the third straight loss in the unofficial NFC East championship game. It quite possibly may have been his last game with the team, and it’s hard not to wonder whether he has another team in mind for 2014.

Top Bottom