Watkins: Kyle Orton still not working out

p1_

DCC 4Life
The only thing that makes sense. If he quits, he has to pay back money. But if he just comes to camp and flops around, what good is he doing then?

If he gave a shit, he would be preparing like he could start given Romo's injury issues.

But hey, not worried.
Again, a team without a f'ing plan. Weeden is not a plan, either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Funny thing is, Garrett and Orton share the same agent.

If Garrett were the big shot in the organization he would know more than he does.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Playing chicken with a player about finances is not something we do very well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kyle Orton, Dallas Cowboys in standoff over future

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: May 22, 2014 at 08:25 p.m.
Updated: May 22, 2014 at 08:45 p.m.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson made it clear early this week that the Dallas Cowboys are "still hopeful" Kyle Orton will report for June's mandatory minicamp.

Wilson shouldn't hold his breath.

After months of speculation, we now know that Orton's desire is to retire from the NFL.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Thursday's edition of "NFL Total Access" that Orton has informed the Cowboys of a wish to retire at age 31. He doesn't want to play for them or any other team.

The problem with Orton's stance is that the Cowboys will force him to pay back $3 million of his $5 million signing bonus if he follows through on that plan to walk away.

For now, the two sides are in a standoff.

The Cowboys' brain trust views Orton as a top backup, which his why they shelled out so much money to bring him on board in the first place. They expected to have his services as Tony Romo insurance for the 2014 season.

The ball is in Orton's court. Retirement might just be a luxury he can't afford.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
After months of speculation, we now know that Orton's desire is to retire from the NFL.
This was one of the worst kept secrets. Dallas knew this a long time ago which is why they signed two veteran QBs with playing experience in the NFL. I don't blame Dallas for waiting in hopes of recouping 3 mil. 3 mil in cap space would help this team a ton.

Cotton

Staff member
It's not a standoff. Either he plays or he doesn't. It's not like the Cowboys lose a ton if he doesn't.

Oh wait...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
While I do think it would be nice to recoup 3 mill in cap space, why would you want to force him to come back?

Who the hell wants a disinterested player, especially at a position as important as QB?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
While I do think it would be nice to recoup 3 mill in cap space, why would you want to force him to come back?

Who the hell wants a disinterested player, especially at a position as important as QB?
I guess they are still panicked about "Romo can't play game 1" scenarios and they don't love Weeden any more than we do.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess they are still panicked about "Romo can't play game 1" scenarios and they don't love Weeden any more than we do.
I don't know that it's a panic position, I think they are trying to cover both contingencies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I do think it would be nice to recoup 3 mill in cap space, why would you want to force him to come back
They may not even really want him to come back but they can't come outright and say that. If they want to force the guy to retire they have to at least pretend like they have every intention of keeping him on the roster this year. If they don't, then it tips the hand to Orton that he can just wait and eventually be cut, saving himself 3 mil.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

We force disinterested coaches to stick around as well.

I'm gonna make you love me.

Carp

DCC 4Life
No better way to go out than to throw a season ending int. Props Orton.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Seriously, I'd tell him to piss off.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a guy on my team whose heart isn't into it 100%. But we're talking about Jerry Jones Cowboys so they'll bend over backwards for any and everyone.

Top Bottom