PFT: Draft needs: Dallas Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Draft needs: Dallas Cowboys

Posted by Josh Alper on April 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
AP
With the NFL Draft approaching, we’re taking a team-by-team look at the needs of each club. Next up are the Cowboys, who are coming off another Week 17 loss that left them without either a division title or a playoff spot. The Cowboys have 11 picks to use to avoid another bitter end to their season and we’re taking a look at the holes they need to fill.

Defensive End: The DeMarcus Ware era has come to an end in Dallas, leaving the Cowboys without the man that’s been the face of the defense for years. Finding a replacement for Ware will be a daunting task, which makes the return of Anthony Spencer a good move for the team.

Spencer missed all but a game last season and will need more help than there already is on the roster when he’s healthy, though. UCLA edge rusher Anthony Barr could fit the bill in Dallas if he’s still around at No. 16 or the Cowboys could add some picks by dropping down to take Missouri’s Kony Ealy or Boise State’s Demarcus Lawrence.

Guard: The Cowboys have been active on the offensive line in recent years, drafting Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick in the first round, but they still have holes to fill. Guard is this year’s need, although it seems a stretch that the Cowboys will address it in the first round. There’s enough depth at the position to find a contributor in later rounds to push either Ronald Leary or Mackenzy Bernadeau out of the lineup. If they can’t find such a player, they may need to push for Brian Waters’ return for a second season in Big D.

Notre Dame’s Zack Martin is a possibility in the first round and he could wind up at either guard in the NFL. He could also play right tackle with Doug Free kicking inside.

Defensive Tackle: If Henry Melton makes a full recovery from a torn ACL, the Cowboys will miss Jason Hatcher a bit less. Even with Melton at 100 percent, though, the team needs more at the position if their defense is going to take strides in 2014. Pittsburgh’s Aaron Donald would be an ideal fit, which makes him unlikely to drop to the 16th pick, and a later flier on Florida’s Dominique Easley (coming off his own knee injury) could also bear some fruit.

Safety: It has been a long, long time since the Cowboys have had a playmaker at the back end of their defense and they could be in position to remedy that in May. Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor could both be available in the first round and either would be a starter from their first moment in Dallas.

Quarterback: Tony Romo isn’t being ousted as starter, but he is 34 and coming off of back surgery. Kyle Orton, who started the finale last season, may not be returning to the team, leaving Brandon Weeden and Caleb Hanie as the backup options in the event Romo’s recovery hits a snag. Even if rumored interest inJohnny Manziel doesn’t amount to anything, it wouldn’t hurt the Cowboys to add a younger option with upside to the mix.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Quarterback: Tony Romo isn’t being ousted as starter, but he is 34 and coming off of back surgery. Kyle Orton, who started the finale last season, may not be returning to the team, leaving Brandon Weeden and Caleb Hanie as the backup options in the event Romo’s recovery hits a snag. Even if rumored interest inJohnny Manziel doesn’t amount to anything, it wouldn’t hurt the Cowboys to add a younger option with upside to the mix.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
I'm more convinced than ever that you draft your replacement QB the year you expect he may be needed or the year after the starter has failed. This crap about finding a developmental prospect in the 4th-6th rounds to bring along on a "flier" is bullshit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm more convinced than ever that you draft your replacement QB the year you expect he may be needed or the year after the starter has failed. This crap about finding a developmental prospect in the 4th-6th rounds to bring along on a "flier" is bullshit.
I don't care what round we take a QB, if we like one, we need to draft him. It's that simple. Romo is near the end of his career and I don't want to have to deal with a 1-15 season before we look at a QB.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't care what round we take a QB, if we like one, we need to draft him. It's that simple. Romo is near the end of his career and I don't want to have to deal with a 1-15 season before we look at a QB.
Yep.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree Dallas needs to look at a Quarterback. I think it should be as close to a proven commodity as possible, say 2nd or 3rd round not a late round gamble.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
IF Romo comes back healthy I don't think you can bet the farm on continued health for more than 2 seasons. Get your guy now as a Just in case and make sure he is ready by year 3 if Tony plays that long. No excuses.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we can build up the defense in the meantime a 1-15 season during the right draft would be a God-send.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's right though. If it's the year before a draft with a franchise QB in it.
And if it's the year before a shitty QB class prepare for 3-4 years of crap because you draft a shitty QB at the top of the draft and are too afraid to take one again for the next couple years.

dallen

Senior Tech
I wouldn't go that far. Using that strategy to find a replacement QB is a bad call. But taking a late QB and finding a cheap backup or a guy that you can trade to a desperate team is fine.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Post Romo pain is inevitable. Even if Dallas drafts Blake Bortles he isn't going to do jack shat behind this porous defense and other teams going 8-in-the-box daring him to throw. A terrible season can't be avoided.

I agree Dallas needs to look at a Quarterback. I think it should be as close to a proven commodity as possible, say 2nd or 3rd round not a late round gamble.
Exactly. Taking a "flier" on a later pick is retardation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't go that far. Using that strategy to find a replacement QB is a bad call. But taking a late QB and finding a cheap backup or a guy that you can trade to a desperate team is fine.
Better to find the Weedens or another inexpensive ex-starter as a backup who at least understands how to be a pro than a green camp arm in the 5th or 6th round. The Parcells, Payton, and Lee school that nurtured Romo for three seasons doesn't exist anymore. We don't have the capability to turn a Matt Cassel into legitimate trade bait.

Who besides New England really does?

dallen

Senior Tech
Better to find the Weedens or another inexpensive ex-starter as a backup who at least understands how to be a pro than a green camp arm in the 5th or 6th round. The Parcells, Payton, and Lee school that nurtured Romo for three seasons doesn't exist anymore. We don't have the capability to turn a Matt Cassel into legitimate trade bait.

Who besides New England really does?
I'm not necessarily saying it is a good idea for us - especially as long as Wade Wilson is still QB coach.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not necessarily saying it is a good idea for us - especially as long as Wade Wilson is still QB coach.
Here we go again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post Romo pain is inevitable. Even if Dallas drafts Blake Bortles he isn't going to do jack shat behind this porous defense and other teams going 8-in-the-box daring him to throw. A terrible season can't be avoided.
I'm pretty sure it is every QB's dream for teams to put 8 in the box... Also Bortles wouldn't be behind the defense, he would be behind what was a pretty good O-line last year throwing to some pretty good talent at WR. We'd have a couple of seasons to build the defense. It actually would set up really nicely for a smooth transition to a new QB ala the Green Bay Packers with Rodgers.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm pretty sure it is every QB's dream for teams to put 8 in the box... Also Bortles wouldn't be behind the defense, he would be behind what was a pretty good O-line last year throwing to some pretty good talent at WR. We'd have a couple of seasons to build the defense. It actually would set up really nicely for a smooth transition to a new QB ala the Green Bay Packers with Rodgers.
I'm not saying don't draft Bortles, I'm saying there's no way to avoid a terrible season. If Romo led Dallas to three consecutive 8-8 seasons, a rookie in Bortles is going to be 4-12, 5-11. The defense is terrible, so Bortles will be forced to pass and his inadequacies will be exposed.

He may be great one day, but not in his first year. Not behind this team with the holes it has.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not saying don't draft Bortles, I'm saying there's no way to avoid a terrible season. If Romo led Dallas to three consecutive 8-8 seasons, a rookie in Bortles is going to be 4-12, 5-11. The defense is terrible, so Bortles will be forced to pass and his inadequacies will be exposed.

He may be great one day, but not in his first year. Not behind this team with the holes it has.
I don't think any rookie QB will be starting for us next year. The point is take the QB now and let him sit behind Romo for the season. Gives us some time to build the defense (This draft and next and next years free agency). That way when the rookie does take over we can have a perfect situation built up hopefully.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think any rookie QB will be starting for us next year. The point is take the QB now and let him sit behind Romo for the season. Gives us some time to build the defense (This draft and next and next years free agency). That way when the rookie does take over we can have a perfect situation built up hopefully.
That CBA really changed how you have to look at draft picks.

You draft a QB, you must take him high and you must start him ASAP. NFL rookie contracts are 4 years. A year (or two) sitting, and the next year (or two years later) learning the ropes and you just aren't getting value for your selection. On top of that, QB's aren't going to develop on a team behind Garrett and Wilson, especially without starting reps. Stephen McGee's absence from the league is all the proof I need to know that.

So if we draft Bortles it should be because we are making him our backup this year, have a serious plan to get him reps in games, and he's our opening day starter in 2015.

Top Bottom