Archer: Five Wonders - Looking to the future

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But the article is asking who can coach this personnel, not who can coach under Jerry.
That is just a reckless way of saying, we are screwed...so let's play a pretend game.

We all know what the real issue is.

And I said it the day Parcells walked out the door.

This is not the marquee coaching job it should be.

While a lot of people speak about Jerry's "passion" etc., if it came down to it...there are not many coaches who actually have a track record that would gladly accept this job with the restrictions that are built in.

One...you got to work with his special system. You can't be the head coach/GM, so drafting the talent is not really something you have full say.

Two..you also couldn't even bring in your own cap guy, you'd have to accept his dumb ass son and the numerous albatrosses that prevent you from being able to buy talent.

So what head coach that isn't desperate or just in it for a cash grab like Parcells would take it?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If I was taking a job from Jerry I'd try to be reasonable on first year salary so I could get him to run off all of the current coaching staff and some of the senior staff so I could cut him off from a lot of the idiots that give him stupid ideas and get a lot of people telling him what I want him to hear.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I was taking a job from Jerry I'd try to be reasonable on first year salary so I could get him to run off all of the current coaching staff and some of the senior staff so I could cut him off from a lot of the idiots that give him stupid ideas and get a lot of people telling him what I want him to hear.
How would being cheap to hire make you be able to run off the current coaching staff?

Jones isn't going back to walking on eggshells.

He had to get in bed with Parcells and make concessions.

Anyone he hires now would have to deal with his way and that includes having fricktards like Larry Lacewell and Barry Switzer still in his ear.

That's why I want someone he has no history or past associations with.

At least there you have a fighting chance of letting your work speak for itself.

Get a guy like Zimmer, it's a defensive version of Jason Garrett who knows these cronies and nothing changes.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I said at the time that Garrett should have been named head coach from that point.
Garrett had only been a QB coach up to that point. He never should've been hired here, period. But it would've been ludicrous to have hired him from raw QB coach to HC. Kind of surprised looking back that it didn't happen.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry doesn't want a premiere HC. That was painfully obvious in the mid 90's through early 2000's. Then when he hired BP many said he finally changed and came to his senses, etc. But as soon as BP left Jerry was more than relieved to take the reins back.

Since we are in the .500 range and a game or so from being a playoff team, Jerry isn't going to be desperate enough to give up any control anytime soon and hire a real HC. Just like with Gailey, Campo, Wade and Garrett we can probably look forward to another low key glorified coordinator type who will be HC in name only.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Since we are in the .500 range and a game or so from being a playoff team, Jerry isn't going to be desperate enough to give up any control anytime soon and hire a real HC. Just like with Gailey, Campo, Wade and Garrett we can probably look forward to another low key glorified coordinator type who will be HC in name only.
That's why Lovie Smith is more of a likely hire than say Jon Gruden.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
How would being cheap to hire make you be able to run off the current coaching staff?

Jones isn't going back to walking on eggshells.

He had to get in bed with Parcells and make concessions.

Anyone he hires now would have to deal with his way and that includes having fricktards like Larry Lacewell and Barry Switzer still in his ear.

That's why I want someone he has no history or past associations with.

At least there you have a fighting chance of letting your work speak for itself.

Get a guy like Zimmer, it's a defensive version of Jason Garrett who knows these cronies and nothing changes.
Sometimes Jerry gives a shit and sometimes he forces staff on people for a year because he's a cheap frick. He doesn't like having to get rid of dorks like Henderson and Eberflus because he doesn't want to cut a severance check. Pushing my salary into my own severance check year while I tell him what great bud we are going to be and how included he'll be in everything should be enough to get him moving if he likes me enough to hire me in the first place.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's why Lovie Smith is more of a likely hire than say Jon Gruden.
I'd actually be ok with Lovie, I wouldn't love it but I think it could have some potential. Lovie is a low key guy but he doesn't seem like the type to bullshit around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sometimes Jerry gives a shit and sometimes he forces staff on people for a year because he's a cheap frick. He doesn't like having to get rid of dorks like Henderson and Eberflus because he doesn't want to cut a severance check. Pushing my salary into my own severance check year while I tell him what great bud we are going to be and how included he'll be in everything should be enough to get him moving if he likes me enough to hire me in the first place.
Well, that sounds nice in theory, but I can't think of any decent NFL coach, even a desperate one, who would do that just to ensure he gets to pick his staff.

Hell, Jerry writes all kinds of stupid shit into contracts. He probably put it in every guy's contract since Parcells that the owner retains some leeway with who is on his coaching staff.

He overruled Phillips several times and while we don't have the direct evidence he's ever done that to Garrett, I am sure he wasn't in a position to make demands when he backed into the job either.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
The guy was hired based on nothing at all, unless you think coaching Gus Frerotte and Joey Harrington counts as great experience.

But he's a shiny nickel to a moron like Jerry. I think he's coming back regardless because Jerruh would have to admit that he was wrong about his golden boy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd actually be ok with Lovie, I wouldn't love it but I think it could have some potential. Lovie is a low key guy but he doesn't seem like the type to bullshit around.
It would all have to do with who he hired as the offensive coordinator. His downfall has always been who he had running the offense.

Hey, Wade Wilson used to be on his staff with the Bears.

OH GOD.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Well, that sounds nice in theory, but I can't think of any decent NFL coach, even a desperate one, who would do that just to ensure he gets to pick his staff.

Hell, Jerry writes all kinds of stupid shit into contracts. He probably put it in every guy's contract since Parcells that the owner retains some leeway with who is on his coaching staff.

He overruled Phillips several times and while we don't have the direct evidence he's ever done that to Garrett, I am sure he wasn't in a position to make demands when he backed into the job either.
Shows what you know. We all know that Garrett and Ciskowski really run things

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I keep forgetting he is not the great and powerful Oz. Thanks for the reminder.
Personnel decisions fall under the umbrella of Tom Ciskowski. You can try to deny that all you want, but it really just makes you look foolish.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Personnel decisions fall under the umbrella of Tom Ciskowski. You can try to deny that all you want, but it really just makes you look foolish.
He's just a figurehead....you don't have to get all hostile. Gosh.

data

Forbes #1
I fail to see the difference between Jerry Jones and Vince MacMahon.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And that would have been even more retarded.
Not really. You can't be any more of a waste of time than Wade Phillips.

Well, maybe Dave Campo.

But Garrett would have been an unknown. Wade was well known to be pretty much the worst possible hire.

Well, by some people at least.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not really. You can't be any more of a waste of time than Wade Phillips.

Well, maybe Dave Campo.

But Garrett would have been an unknown. Wade was well known to be pretty much the worst possible hire.

Well, by some people at least.
So, if Jones pulled an Al Davis and hired Garrett Lane Kiffin-style, what on earth makes you think he would have been successful?

You only have real tangible history of Phillips' previous "failures" in Denver and Buffalo, but yet he still had playoff appearances, something Garrett hasn't done and probably will never do.

But hey, he was an unknown. Guess that is better than real life.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It would all have to do with who he hired as the offensive coordinator. His downfall has always been who he had running the offense.

Hey, Wade Wilson used to be on his staff with the Bears.

OH GOD.
How would you feel about Tom Cable?

Top Bottom