Machota - Eagles S Malcolm Jenkins: Dallas players are the problem

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins: Dallas players are the problem; Cowboys defense won’t be any better

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
10:08 am on April 15, 2014 |

Malcolm Jenkins has not yet played a game in the NFC East. The veteran safety signed a three-year, $16.25 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagles last month.

But he isn’t wasting any time taking shots at his new NFC East rivals, particularly the Dallas Cowboys.

During a Monday night appearance on NFL Network, the former New Orleans Saint didn’t seem concerned with the Cowboys defense improving upon it’s historically bad season a year ago.

“A couple years ago, their scapegoat was Rob Ryan, and they got rid of him, and he was the cause of all their problems,” Jenkins said, according to Philly.com Eagles writer Jimmy Kempski. “He went to New Orleans and took the worst defense in NFL history and turned them into a top 5 defense. So he couldn’t have been the problem.”

Jenkins, the 14th overall pick in 2010, mentioned how the losses of standout defensive linemen DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher aren’t going to help a defense that ranked last in the league. After all, he watched his Saints offensive teammates torch the Cowboys defense for an NFL record 40 first downs during a 49-17 victory in November.

“I had the best seat in the house when I watched the Saints get 40 first downs in one game. Forty. In one game,” Jenkins said. “So it must be the players.”

And adding 2012 Pro Bowl defensive tackle Henry Melton isn’t doing much to change Jenkins’ mind.

“The offseason comes and you don’t do anything in free agency to get any big name players to come help you out,” he said, “so I really don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel for this defense in improving when you got the same guys and the same coaches.”

Jenkins started every game he played over the last four seasons in New Orleans. In five years, he has six interceptions and 38 pass deflections. Jenkins, 26, recorded a career-high 94 tackles in 2012.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The players and coaches change and a problem still exists.

There is one constant. It's the owner.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The players and coaches change and a problem still exists.

There is one constant. It's the owner.
He's the biggest problem, but he's not the direct reason why this defense has sucked balls for years now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do kind of find it odd that a player who really has no connection to the Dallas Cowboys is talking about them so extensively.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He's the biggest problem, but he's not the direct reason why this defense has sucked balls for years now.
Well, he is the direct reason in the sense that he is directly responsible for it all. If the coaches he is picking can't get the job done, or the players he is drafting can't get the job done, Jerry is the direct reason.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well, he is the direct reason in the sense that he is directly responsible for it all. If the coaches he is picking can't get the job done, or the players he is drafting can't get the job done, Jerry is the direct reason.
While true, the coaches deserve blame too.

Not once have I heard your boy clamoring for a safety, but he sure as hell was on board with making a move for Claiborne and for drafting Escobooze.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I do kind of find it odd that a player who really has no connection to the Dallas Cowboys is talking about them so extensively.
Because everyone hates the Cowboys.

It has and always will be that way....I just miss the days when we gave them a good reason to. :cry

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We are the best TV show on.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He's right that talent is the problem on defense over here. The problem that causes that problem is Jerry, of course.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
He probably heard plenty about it playing for Rob last year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He fired a coach over a bad defense and still the defense got worse. There is a more objective reason for the meltdown. Players didn't do what they were paid to do. The same coach is in place as last season so if the defense is another bust the only recourse a GM has is to fire the coach again. Then who is to blame?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He fired a coach over a bad defense and still the defense got worse. There is a more objective reason for the meltdown. Players didn't do what they were paid to do. The same coach is in place as last season so if the defense is another bust the only recourse a GM has is to fire the coach again. Then who is to blame?
The GM who didn't put enough talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially the DL and safety.

Carp

DCC 4Life
WGAS what this first round bust says. Look forward to him trying cover Escotron.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
WGAS what this first round bust says. Look forward to him trying cover Escotron.
That's my thing about Jenkins. How on earth does he have room to talk? The Saints D in 2012 was nearly as awful as ours was in 2013, with half the injuries.

There's my homer moment for the week.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
While true, the coaches deserve blame too.
And who was to blame before this set of coaches was here? 18 years transcends all the administrations.

Not once have I heard your boy clamoring
:lol

Shocking.

for a safety, but he sure as hell was on board with making a move for Claiborne and for drafting Escobooze.
Yep, one of the pitfalls of having a non-franchise building head coach, unfortunately. I mean, Rob Ryan is doing a good job in New Orleans as a coach, but he's just as culpable on the Claiborne thing too, telling the whole world "I'm only here to look at corners." Coaches sometimes just don't know personnel that well, especially when they aren't elite franchise building head coaches.

One of the reasons the GM has failed again.

One of the reasons the coach, and thus also the GM, will fail next time if he doesn't hire a Bill Parcells type.

It still all bottom lines as Jerry's fault. Parcells is the ONE coach who I would have said has been here who is capable of running every aspect of the football team himself and still putting out a decent competitor over a long period of time. And even he was at the end and wasn't perfect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom