2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Mike Mitchell is a Red Raider! Damn I'm super stoked about this class so far. Lots of big time players are cutting it up over Tech and possibly signing.

Kliff and staff have proven to be relentless on the recruiting trail. Having no fear and going after big prospects hasn't been a problem. It is good to see good representation for the school so far.
Looking forward to the upcoming season. Kingsbury is my all time favorite TTU QB and I like him a lot better as coach than Tubs.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Looking forward to the upcoming season. Kingsbury is my all time favorite TTU QB and I like him a lot better as coach than Tubs.
I don't expect things to be greatly improved this year. That defense was terrible last year. They will still struggle some with depth but if they can keep things moving forward the future could be good.

Those JUCO players will need a high hit rate to see big improvement this year. I'd love to see it happen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't expect things to be greatly improved this year. That defense was terrible last year. They will still struggle some with depth but if they can keep things moving forward the future could be good.

Those JUCO players will need a high hit rate to see big improvement this year. I'd love to see it happen.
Lots of excitement right now. This will be the first year in our history that we will sellout season tickets.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

It took Briles a while to get Baylor to where it is now. I'm fine with being patient. I just want the program to be on the map again.

If the offense is as explosive as it was back in the He Who Must Not Be Named days, the team will be exciting enough to keep drawing recruits. Hopefully we can get a complete, healthy and productive year out of Webb.

D

Deuce

UCF coach: Sport 'in real trouble'

Updated: June 5, 2014, 11:06 AM ET
ESPN

At least one college football coach isn't happy about the SEC threatening to take their ball and leave if the Power Five conferences aren't granted autonomy by the NCAA.

Central Florida
coach George O'Leary, in fact, put a historical spin on SEC commissioner Mike Slive's threat of forming a "Division IV" if the league -- along with the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten and the Pac-12 -- don't get the flexibility needed to create their own bylaws.

"They sound like the South during the Civil War," O'Leary told the Orlando Sentinel earlier this week. "If they don't get their way, they're going to secede and start their own country. ... I think college football is in real trouble."

Smaller Division I schools likely can't afford the changes that the SEC and the major conferences are seeking. And while Division II and Division III have their own rules, forming a Division IV would seemingly create a wider divide between the Power Five and other smaller schools.

"They're trying to go the other way and create an even wider gap between the haves and have-nots," O'Leary told the Sentinel of the Power Five and the SEC's threats. "I think some of these schools have forgotten where they came from."

The SEC wants the NCAA steering committee to adopt its proposal for the voting threshold, which would allow the Power Five to pass legislation with more ease.

The NCAA board of directors will vote on the steering committee's proposal in August, and it would need a two-thirds vote of the 65 schools and 15 student representatives to pass.

O'Leary, who previously coached eight seasons at Georgia Tech, has a 72-56 record -- including a 12-1 mark and a Fiesta Bowl victory in 2013 -- since joining UCF in 2005. The Knights have played in three conferences during that span, bouncing from the Mid-American Conference to Conference USA in 2005 and to the American Athletic Conference last season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
UCF coach: Sport 'in real trouble'

Updated: June 5, 2014, 11:06 AM ET
ESPN

At least one college football coach isn't happy about the SEC threatening to take their ball and leave if the Power Five conferences aren't granted autonomy by the NCAA.

Central Florida
coach George O'Leary, in fact, put a historical spin on SEC commissioner Mike Slive's threat of forming a "Division IV" if the league -- along with the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten and the Pac-12 -- don't get the flexibility needed to create their own bylaws.

"They sound like the South during the Civil War," O'Leary told the Orlando Sentinel earlier this week. "If they don't get their way, they're going to secede and start their own country. ... I think college football is in real trouble."

Smaller Division I schools likely can't afford the changes that the SEC and the major conferences are seeking. And while Division II and Division III have their own rules, forming a Division IV would seemingly create a wider divide between the Power Five and other smaller schools.

"They're trying to go the other way and create an even wider gap between the haves and have-nots," O'Leary told the Sentinel of the Power Five and the SEC's threats. "I think some of these schools have forgotten where they came from."

The SEC wants the NCAA steering committee to adopt its proposal for the voting threshold, which would allow the Power Five to pass legislation with more ease.

The NCAA board of directors will vote on the steering committee's proposal in August, and it would need a two-thirds vote of the 65 schools and 15 student representatives to pass.

O'Leary, who previously coached eight seasons at Georgia Tech, has a 72-56 record -- including a 12-1 mark and a Fiesta Bowl victory in 2013 -- since joining UCF in 2005. The Knights have played in three conferences during that span, bouncing from the Mid-American Conference to Conference USA in 2005 and to the American Athletic Conference last season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
I see his point but something has to be done. I'd hate to see schools out of the power 5 left behind but you can't expect teams with means to stay behind because of the other schools.

D

Deuce

I see his point but something has to be done. I'd hate to see schools out of the power 5 left behind but you can't expect teams with means to stay behind because of the other schools.
I disagree. There is no need to move ahead of the rest of D-1. They already make an assload of money every year with their media deals and they are the only ones who are almost gaurenteed a chance at the national championship with the new playoff structure.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I disagree. There is no need to move ahead of the rest of D-1. They already make an assload of money every year with their media deals and they are the only ones who are almost gaurenteed a chance at the national championship with the new playoff structure.
Once schools start having to pay kids to play there will need to be a separation. Much like D2, D3 and NAIA schools. They pay zero or partial scholarships while D1 pays full scholarships. Budgets are part of the reason for separation.

D

Deuce

Once schools start having to pay kids to play there will need to be a separation. Much like D2, D3 and NAIA schools. They pay zero or partial scholarships while D1 pays full scholarships. Budgets are part of the reason for separation.
Okay, but if a school can handle those requirements than they should be allowed to move up as well. Probably half the AAC is in favor of the same pay-for-play rules other conferences want, but instead they are going to be cast aside.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Okay, but if a school can handle those requirements than they should be allowed to move up as well. Probably half the AAC is in favor of the same pay-for-play rules other conferences want, but instead they are going to be cast aside.
I certainly don't know the answer but I don't see this working. It is not just a matter of moving up. It is a matter of a power conference wanting or needing you based on many factors.

The power 5 doesn't need the other conferences or teams to succeed. Why should they stunt their growth in the name of fairness? Seems like BS to me. I'd be perfectly happy leaving the NCAA and forming another alliance of some sort. Then all of the other teams will be sitting at the most fair point in history. They would be free to compete for whatever they wanted at that point without the man keeping them down.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The short version for me is get yourself in a position to dictate terms first. Until then shut up and quit whining for someone to come to your aid in the name of fairness and bail you out.

D

Deuce

The short version for me is get yourself in a position to dictate terms first. Until then shut up and quit whining for someone to come to your aid in the name of fairness and bail you out.
:lol That makes tons of sense. Hey all non-P5 schools, prove to us you belong...but when you do, we still won't let you in despite you being a better program than half the current P5 teams and we're going to hog all the money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol That makes tons of sense. Hey all non-P5 schools, prove to us you belong...but when you do, we still won't let you in despite you being a better program than half the current P5 teams and we're going to hog all the money.
Don't think I said that. I said get yourself in a position to dictate terms. Why would anyone want to relinquish a power position they have to be able to dictate terms. It is all about money and power. Every system is structured that way. You assume there are better programs that are on the outside looking in. Who is to say they are better until they earn that position.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't completely agree with LT's way of thinking either. Still, as far as hogging all the money goes, I don't see why any P5 team would want to give away their share of TV money just because UCF puts together some good years. How do you think money is being hogged? The networks pay for sports that people want to watch. There is a reason that they aren't paying more for AAC teams...because nobody watches them. You guts are in a major city, have a crapton of students and still can't fill up your seats. Why would a network pay you more?

Matter of fact, UCF only generated $19,000,000 of sports revenue for the entire school. That is pretty small.

D

Deuce

Don't think I said that. I said get yourself in a position to dictate terms. Why would anyone want to relinquish a power position they have to be able to dictate terms. It is all about money and power. Every system is structured that way. You assume there are better programs that are on the outside looking in. Who is to say they are better until they earn that position.
That's a cool way of thinking if "earning that position" was something that could be had. If this were EPL soccer and the bottom P5 teams were dropped every year and replaced with the top non-P5 teams than sure. But otherwise it's an old boys club and invite only. Boise showed a lot over the last 10 years on the football field and they are still on the outside looking in. Granted, they have a lot of academic problems which probably prohibit them, but the point remains the same.

Meanwhile, Vandy is sitting pretty with their 3/4 empty stadium and their best era of football ever because they won 8 games twice and raking in $30M a year from their conference affiliation.

D

Deuce

I don't completely agree with LT's way of thinking either. Still, as far as hogging all the money goes, I don't see why any P5 team would want to give away their share of TV money just because UCF puts together some good years. How do you think money is being hogged? The networks pay for sports that people want to watch. There is a reason that they aren't paying more for AAC teams...because nobody watches them. You guts are in a major city, have a crapton of students and still can't fill up your seats. Why would a network pay you more?

Matter of fact, UCF only generated $19,000,000 of sports revenue for the entire school. That is pretty small.
UCF's sports revenue has been on a steady incline in the last few years. One reason is our alumni base is very young and just coming into being season ticket holders and donating to the programs as a whole. That's one major reason the "potential" word keeps getting thrown out there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's a cool way of thinking if "earning that position" was something that could be had. If this were EPL soccer and the bottom P5 teams were dropped every year and replaced with the top non-P5 teams than sure. But otherwise it's an old boys club and invite only. Boise showed a lot over the last 10 years on the football field and they are still on the outside looking in. Granted, they have a lot of academic problems which probably prohibit them, but the point remains the same.

Meanwhile, Vandy is sitting pretty with their 3/4 empty stadium and their best era of football ever because they won 8 games twice and raking in $30M a year from their conference affiliation.
I think you are missing the point. It's not about how good or bad a team is that gets you in a position to dictate terms. It's about a merchandising package which a network can sell to a broad base. For the most part that is a conference that has perennial winners as well as national followings. That's where the money is and that dictates the power. Not every team in the package is a winner but tied and affiliated with them. You have to look no further than the Dallas Cowboys to see this as an example. They may not be winners but the following is immense. its not about a good teams it's about what sells.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
UCF's sports revenue has been on a steady incline in the last few years. One reason is our alumni base is very young and just coming into being season ticket holders and donating to the programs as a whole. That's one major reason the "potential" word keeps getting thrown out there.
I understand that. Given the situation UCF is doing phenomenal. The school was only established in the 60s or something, right? You guys have a lot of catching up to do.

I HATE the good ol boy system as much as the next guy. Texas has about a 40 year head start on Tech and has so many unfair advantages. For example, the PUF takes oil money from west Texas (where Lubbock is) and puts it into a fund where aTm and UT pretty much split it. This year it equals one billion dollars. No other public schools has access to the money on a permanent basis. Like forever. That burns my ass more than you could imagine but it is just the way that it is.

Still, Tech has managed to slowly work their way up to a one billion dollar endowment this past year. Texas has a six billion dollar endowment. UCF is about 40 years behind Tech and has a 135 million dollar endowment. So really time and a few other factors are not on your side yet. A couple of good years of football is not enough to sit at the big boy table. That is a little time off from now.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think you are missing the point. It's not about how good or bad a team is that gets you in a position to dictate terms. It's about a merchandising package which a network can sell to a broad base. For the most part that is a conference that has perennial winners as well as national followings. That's where the money is and that dictates the power. Not every team in the package is a winner but tied and affiliated with them. You have to look no further than the Dallas Cowboys to see this as an example. They may not be winners but the following is immense. its not about a good teams it's about what sells.
Yup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom