Point/Counterpoint: What should we do with our first pick?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Point: If First-Round Pick Is Offense, Has To Be O-Line Only
Posted 53 minutes ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

This time of year, nobody wants to be pigeonholed in the draft, especially if you’re sitting right in the middle of the first round like the Cowboys are at No. 16.

And when Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones or Jason Garrett vaguely speak of their draft position and stance, they’ll tell us about taking the best available player. That will happen this year – it will happen every year.

But I think we all know this team has to get better defensively. And it’s more than just adding a few free agent defensive linemen. This defense was the worst unit in the NFL last year and by far the worst in franchise history.

I can’t imagine the Cowboys not finding someone – anyone – on the defensive side of the ball at No. 16. Defensive end is a need. Defensive tackle is a need, especially in terms of getting younger. Linebacker is even a need considering the position’s recent injury history. Safety has been a need since Darren Woodson retired and cornerback, even though it doesn’t seem to be pressing, is always a need because you can’t have enough quality cover guys.

Somebody at No. 16 is going to be there that can help this defense.

But, and there’s always a but, if the Cowboys don’t go defense with No. 16, the only position I can somewhat understand would be the offensive line.

That’s it. Nothing else. Not a receiver who is really good but falls to No. 16. Not a quarterback either. And yeah, I’m including him, too. Him being Johnny Manziel. If he falls to No. 16 I get on the phone and find the very best deal from a team who really wants him right now.

But offensive line? Hmm, that’s hard to pass up because just think what kind of team you’d be building. You’ve got a young left tackle who is coming off a Pro Bowl season in Tyron Smith. He seems set for years, although they will have to sign him to an extension before next March. But that’s going to happen.

Center Travis Frederick was a good pick last year and he made the running game instantly better. Ron Leary learned on the run last year and should be a much better player in 2014. I still think Mackenzy Bernadeau and Doug Free are good pieces to the puzzle for this season, but neither player – and we could add Leary in this group as well – is good enough to keep from drafting draft someone in the first round.

If a guy like Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan is there at No. 16, how can you not consider it? He can play right tackle opposite Tyron Smith for a long time. And if his character concerns are a big issue, don’t forget that his mean streak can be a good thing. Marc Colombo made it work to his advantage for years.

Notre Dame’s Zach Martin, who is a guard/tackle prospect, could be a very good fit at No. 16. Here’s a player who could come right in and play guard, either for Leary or Bernadeau, and then eventually slide out to right tackle if or when Free is no longer with the club.

I could see the Cowboys taking an offensive linemen at No. 16 to continue this revamping of the offensive line. If they did that, it would justify not taking defense.

But to me, that’s it. Your receivers are all pretty young and talented. You can get what you need there in the middle rounds. There isn’t a running back worthy of a first-round pick, and even so, it wouldn’t make sense to draft one right now.

Tight end? No. Quarterback? No thanks.

Offensive line is the only position I could envision the Cowboys taking someone who won’t help this defense, which needs all kinds of help.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Counterpoint: First Pick Should Be Best Available, No Limits
Posted 47 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING ,Texas -- In my experiences of being in draft rooms for 13 seasons, I have never went into that process with the thought of having just one player or position in my mind that we were going to select.

I have always believed that you have to keep an open mind about what potential opportunities might present themselves. You don’t go into a draft expecting your player to be there unless you have the first overall pick.

Leading up to this draft, there has been plenty of discussion about whether the Cowboys should just focus on a defensive player with that 16th overall selection?

I believe the answer would be “not at all.” With where they sit on that board, they have to be willing to make that selection, move up in the round or be prepared to drop back to a comfortable level and make the pick. What I do know is that there will be options to execute all three of these possibilities, but as you are working through these scenarios, you have to keep the big picture in mind.

In this big picture thinking, Jerry Jones and the staff have to be willing to keep an open mind -- especially if they trade back, because you are really at the mercy of the board and who is on it. But even if they don’t trade back and stand in there to make a selection, there is no way that I am just focusing on one position, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

As nice as it would be just to add an offensive lineman, they have to be prepared to consider one of these receivers or quarterbacks if they are sitting there on the board.

We had this exact situation happened to us on the Draft Show on Friday morning, when we went through our mock draft for the Cowboys. Defensive tackle Aaron Donald went off the board just ahead of us. The discussion came down among the group: would we take wide receiver Mike Evans, safety Calvin Pryor, linebacker C.J. Mosley or guard Zack Martin?

What was good about this exercise was that all four were players the Cowboys could surly use. As the clocked ticked down, it was clear that as much as we all liked Pryor and Mosley and even Martin, the thought of having Mike Evans to be a part of this receiving corps was just too good not to make that selection.

There is no doubt this squad needs defensive help and this was something that was discussed, but we selected one of the most dynamic offensive players in this draft and didn’t look back.

As Jerry Jones and his staff prepare for this upcoming draft, they have to be ready to have the exact same approach. If there is not a defensive player on the board that stands out above the others, don’t paint yourself into a corner and force a pick.

There needs to be a willingness to take the best player on the board, even if he helps the offense --whether it is Zack Martin, Mike Evans or even Johnny Manziel.

That’s how you get the draft off to a positive start.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dez, Evans, and Williams would make a scary 3 WR set.
As much as I like the player, that's one of the last scenarios I'd want to see. We don't need even less of a reason to run the ball.

Carp

DCC 4Life
JF at 16. Dear, sweet, baby Jesus...make it so.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As much as I like the player, that's one of the last scenarios I'd want to see. We don't need even less of a reason to run the ball.
It would be akin to the infamous WR drafts that got Matt Millen fired.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't rule out Mike Evans at all. It's not like Terrance Williams is some proven stud.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He got fired cause too many busted. I'll take another Dez Bryant here all day long.
Sorry.

The vaunted two WR offense does not work any more than the vaunted two TE offense you think works.

A head coach that could figure out that running the ball with a double-digit lead is a good idea would be a lot more useful as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I was talking about an offense with two number one receivers with similar skill sets. You need compliments, not clones.
Roddy White and Julio Jones have similar skill sets, but they can both do it all so it works. I know Dez is that kind of player so I think he'd work with other big WR.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Roddy White and Julio Jones have similar skill sets, but they can both do it all so it works. I know Dez is that kind of player so I think he'd work with other big WR.
Great. Then we would have two WRs who sometimes struggle to get separation. Evans in particular would be a horrible compliment.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, having two Dez Bryants would be horrible. Sounds to me like you just don't like Mike Evans.

Also seems to me this is the same argument we had about Julio Jones... I'd love to have him here.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Beckham, Ellington, Huff, Gallon...those guys interest me most. Archer just on pure speed, but I don't honestly know much about him except that he is fast.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cooks I like too, but I think he and Beckham may go in the first and I don’t want to do that.

Top Bottom