Change to how threads show as read or not...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For those of you that use the "New Posts" button, things will change how you see the board. We have made a change to how that button operates.

Before, if you logged in and hit the new posts button you would be shown all of the threads you hadn't read since last logging in. But, if you had to logout before you were able to read all of the threads with new posts in it and logged in later, all of the threads you hadn't gotten to read got marked as read automatically and wouldn't show up when you hit the new posts button. Meaning you would have to dig through the forums to find the posts you hadn't seen. It was essentially the same as if you opened your email and weren't able to read all of your unread emails before you got pulled away and then when you come back to your email, all of your unread emails showed as read.

Now, even if you login and can't read the whole board before you have to logout, the site will keep the threads you haven't read as unread, so you can more easily find the updated threads you haven't seen. We hope this will help navigate users back to content they haven't seen and create more responses in threads that they may or may not have even seen before. For a lot of us that are on here all the time (me, cause I'm a whore) it won't really change much, but for those that are only able to login a couple of times a day, it could potentially help them tremendously not miss out on responses they wouldn't have normally seen.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's probably okay but one difficulty is that when I go to a thread that has new posts it will take me back through posts I have already read. It's as though the old cookie stays and you always return back to the same place even if you leave the forum.

Cotton

Staff member
It's probably okay but one difficulty is that when I go to a thread that has new posts it will take me back through posts I have already read. It's as though the old cookie stays and you always return back to the same place even if you leave the forum.
Yeah, that's the only downside to the first time you refresh. You have to click on the last post in the threads you have seen and go back on every one of them, but once you have done that one time, you will never have to do it again. Because it's a new change, it is retroactive on that first use. But, once you have "re-read" each thread that one time, it will never happen again. Or, is hasn't for me so far.

Cotton

Staff member
Another slight negative is that once you have read a thread it disappears from the "new posts" results screen. Before it would just turn light blue. Once you have read a thread you have to go find it in the forums unless something new is posted in that thread.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Tl;dr

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Does anyone find this a useful tool? For those that surf using this function the intent was to make things better/easier. Personally I have never used this function but I am assuming some do.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't do the "New Posts" thing. I go to the individual forums to see which threads are new.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Does anyone find this a useful tool? For those that surf using this function the intent was to make things better/easier. Personally I have never used this function but I am assuming some do.
What function are you referring to? If it is the new post function, yes I use it exclusively. It's the quickest way to get to New comments.

Cotton

Staff member
I use the new posts button as well. One simple click gets me all of the new posts in every forum all at once without having to go from forum to forum.

dallen

Senior Tech
I am a New Posts man, myself. I approve

Top Bottom