Moore: Must Jason Garrett lead Cowboys to playoffs to keep his job?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Must Jason Garrett lead Cowboys to playoffs to keep his job? ‘I don’t look at it that way at all,’ Jerry Jones says

By David Moore
dmoore@dallasnews.com
12:01 pm on March 25, 2014 |

ORLANDO, Fla. — Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has presided over three consecutive .500 seasons. He’s in the final year of his contract, a contract the owner pointedly has not extended.

It appears Jerry Jones is sending the message that Garrett must lead the Cowboys to the playoffs to ensure his future with the franchise.

“I don’t think so,’’ Jones countered. “I don’t look at it that way at all.

“We’ve got a lot of experience together. It’s no secret that we probably are shoulder to shoulder on the success we’d like for this team to have with him as head coach and what it would do for our fans’ future, our future.

“He’s more capable today than he was when he took over as head coach. If that arrow is going up, it just makes sense to have our future with Jason.’’

Jones rejects the lame-duck phrase and points out he has fired coaches who were still under contract. He said Garrett and everyone else in the Cowboys organization must be part of winning more games.

Jones bet on Garrett’s upside when he chose a man with no head coaching experience to lead his team in the middle of the 2010 season. Jones concedes that makes it difficult for him to believe Garrett won’t continue to improve as a coach.

“There’s more,’’ Jones said. “I can assure you there’s more than what we’ve seen and it’s logical that it is.

“I want to get more. We paid a pretty good price for that.’’
-------------------

:lol

Now he's concerned about ROI on Garrett.

Top Bottom