Cowboys awarded 3 comp picks...Now have 6 picks in 7th round

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
ORLANDO -- The NFL announced Monday the Cowboys will receive three additional compensatory draft picks in the May draft.

The team has a total of 11 draft picks, including six in the seventh-round.

A total of 32 compensatory draft selections were awarded to 13 teams.

The Cowboys can't trade the compensatory picks, however. The team has a selection in every round but the sixth, and before the compensatory picks were announced, had three picks in the last round.

Under the rules for compensatory draft picks, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The Cowboys lost linebacker Victor Butler, defensive end Kenyon Coleman, cornerback Mike Jenkins and tight end John Phillips last season in free agency. The team gained linebacker Justin Durant in free agency.

The Cowboys have been awarded 33 compensatory picks picks since 1994, tied for the second-most in the NF with Green Bay.

Baltimore has gained the most compensatory picks with 41.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4726049/cowboys-get-three-compensatory-picks?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So sick, can't wait to see what kind of NFL Draft WIZARDRY Jerral Jones comes up with.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think we should draft some guys and let them season in the Europe.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm glad we have that many picks in the 7th round because it's a really deep draft. I'm just upset with the man whom we have making the selections because we'll assuredly piss them away on worthless selections.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
We have 11 picks now… I can see us packaging 3 of our 7ths and trying to get into the 5th or 6th round.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'm glad we have that many picks in the 7th round because it's a really deep draft. I'm just upset with the man whom we have making the selections because we'll assuredly piss them away on worthless selections.
Well, it's definitely a mixed bag...

2013 - Frederick, Williams, ?Escobar
2012 - ?Clairborne, ?Crawford
2011 - Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray, Dwayne Harris
2010 - Dez Bryant, Sean Lee
2009 - fuck all

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
We have 11 picks now… I can see us packaging 3 of our 7ths and trying to get into the 5th or 6th round.
According to Eatman's blog post from yesterday those compensatory picks can not be traded:

The league awarded three compensatory picks to the Cowboys – all in the seventh round, giving the Cowboys six in the final round, although those three new picks cannot be traded.
I guess that still leaves 3 7ths to be traded though so, hell yeah, Jerry will move around as much as possible with those.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hitting on a couple of Patrick Craytons or Jay Ratliffs in the 7th round this year would do wonders for our depth problems.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
FIFY

Well, it's definitely a mixed bag...

2013 - Frederick, Williams, ?Escobar
2012 - ?Clairborne, ?Crawford
2011 - Tyron Smith, ?Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray, Dwayne Harris
2010 - Dez Bryant, Sean Lee
2009 - fuck all

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Id be happy enough if he hit on a 1st and 2nd.
Well, we've been reasonably doing that, but it's not getting us over the hump. We need more. We need another 2005 draft where we get basically 4-5 long term players out of it. Actually we probably need 2 of those.

data

Forbes #1
Well, we've been reasonably doing that, but it's not getting us over the hump. We need more. We need another 2005 draft where we get basically 4-5 long term players out of it. Actually we probably need 2 of those.
You're definition of 'reasonably' is different than mine. His best 1-2 combo is 1.5 players with Dez/Sean Lee.

Splitting hair aside, just responding to you mentioning hitting on 7th rounders. I think we can agree that we should count more on Rounds 1-4 for starters and depth.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones talks about 11 draft picks

March, 26, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Late Monday afternoon, the Cowboys were awarded three compensatory draft picks, increasing their total to 11.

Jerry Jones, the team owner/general manager, who makes the final call on all selections, loves having picks and trading them.

Will he use them all?

“I've always wanted the draft picks,” Jones said. “I will never forget when we traded Herschel Walker (in 1989). I didn’t have one. I bet I had six NFL owners either call me or write me a note saying, ‘Do you realize how much you have increased your investment in this team? You are now paying two teams' drafts.’ At that time, that was very significant cause you didn’t have free agency. The big money was the draft.”

The Cowboys have signed three defensive players in free agency and agreed to a deal for a fullback but it wasn’t finalized.

Jones said the team could also draft a defensive player in the first round. But the free-agency signings, Jones said allows the team to pick the best player available regardless of position.

Jones likes to make trades; his most famous one is trading Walker to Minnesota in a blockbuster deal involving five players and eight draft picks.

“So we literally for three years doubled our investment in players at that time,” Jones said in talking about the Walker trade. “And, by the way, my pockets were pretty empty because I had just bought the club [for a then-NFL record $140 million]. It was a strain. It was always something I looked at. I looked at it then and look at now was an opportunity to win and be better.”

Top Bottom