Wade Phillips: My record was better than Jason Garrett’s

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep Garrett is fine, sure he may blame his qb in a press conference or Callahan for not calling a run when it turns out he was calling the plays but yea Garrett is fine.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't care for Garrett, but Wade only has a better record because he was fortunate enough to take over Parcells' team. Garrett had to take over the team Wade left behind.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't care for Garrett, but Wade only has a better record because he was fortunate enough to take over Parcells' team. Garrett had to take over the team Wade left behind.
So you agree...

Garrett is fine.

D

Deuce

There wasn't a huge difference in terms of players on the field by core guys and the lone differences favor RHG.

Garrett has a better RB in Murray. Garrett has better WRs lead by Dez. Garrett has Sean Lee and Carter instead of Brady James, Bobby Carpenter and Keef. Garrett has Bailey instead of Beeler and Suisham.

Wade's only advantage is having Leonard Davis instead of Bernadeau and Hamlin instead of the current POS's.

Everything else is either still on the roster or in a case of Gurode v Frederick, a wash.

I'd say Garrett has had plenty to play with.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

data

Forbes #1
Does a shitburger tastes better than a shitsandwich?

Hey! At least we're not the Browns!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dont be surprised about the number. I'm not and that's not a reflection on Wade.

Cotton

Staff member
Wade Phillips makes a valid point
March, 7, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

In the last 24 hours, Wade Phillips has become interested in his won-loss record with the Dallas Cowboys.

Phillips has spoken to the people through Twitter with these comments:

Recently, Phillips said his age, 66, was holding him back from another head coaching job. Phillips is a good coach who achieved some success with the Cowboys in his four seasons. He was the perfect hire for the Cowboys after four hard years with Bill Parcells’ demanding ways.

Parcells, a Hall of Famer with two Super Bowl rings, has a style that grinds on players.

Phillips is more of grandfatherly type of coach whose style is the opposite.

Garrett, the current head coach, is somewhere between the styles of Parcells and Phillips, which might explain why the Cowboys have been mediocre under his tenure.

Garrett probably needs to grind on the players more, and while there is a healthy respect level for the man, his philosophy is not leading to positive results: meaning playoff appearances.

It was just interesting to see Phillips come out of nowhere to discuss his record with the Cowboys. I remember Jerry Jones saying a few years ago that Phillips never had a honeymoon as the head coach with the Cowboys.

Phillips' reign was always questioned about whether he had command of the team and if the respect was there.

If you look at core group of players, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin, the most success they obtained was under Phillips.

There was the 2009 playoff win, the two division titles with a No. 1 playoff seed in the NFC in 2007, all under Phillips.

Yet, we had the Pacman Jones suspension, the 44-6 loss at Philadelphia, Terrell Owens’ antics and finally the 1-7 start to the 2010 season, which led to Phillips’ firing.

Maybe Phillips is just being passive aggressive with his Twitter thoughts about what he thinks of Garrett. The current coach of the Cowboys is entering the final year of his contract and there’s no guarantee he’ll receive an extension. (Phillips, by the way, received one extension from Jones).

Maybe Phillips is trying to remind everyone that his time in Dallas brought better results than Garrett’s. At least Phillips got to the postseason.

And in some ways Jones is mindful of this and probably can’t give Garrett the contract extension he wants until he can break the Cowboys cycle of 8-8 seasons.

If Garrett can’t do that, the tenure of the son of the late Bum Phillips will always have been a more successful period in Cowboys history.

Cotton

Staff member
With tweet, Wade Phillips lacked context

March, 7, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Wade Phillips has the second-best winning percentage of any coach in
Dallas Cowboys' history. Better than Tom Landry's. I think he might know that.

On Thursday, Phillips tweeted this.

Like most things with Phillips, he lacked context.

When Phillips took over in 2007 as head coach, he inherited a team that was ready to win from Bill Parcells. Tony Romo was going into his first year as a full-time starter. The defense had DeMarcus Ware at his best. Terrell Owens was putting up big numbers.

The Cowboys went 13-3 and had the best record in the NFC. Phillips was the perfect antidote to Parcells and the players responded. Well, they did to a point. The Cowboys were not the same after beating the Green Bay Packers to move to 11-1 and effectively clinch home-field advantage.

They got lucky to beat the Detroit Lions the following week. They lost two of their last three games, however, they were in shut-down mode against the Washington Redskins with nothing to gain from a win.

Other than momentum they had lost.

The Cowboys lost to the New York Giants in the divisional round at Texas Stadium and the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl.

That's when the Romo narrative first started to get notice. Maybe you heard Romo went to Cabo during the wild-card weekend. Did it affect the outcome of the Giants' game? Of course not, but the perception machine was rolling and has been rolling ever since.

You can track most of the Cowboys' woes to that lost opportunity. If they simply beat the Giants and make the NFC Championship Game, then things would be different. Could they have beaten the Packers for a second time at Texas Stadium? It's the best what-if of the Romo era.

In 2008, the Cowboys acted as if they were predestined to not only make the playoffs but win a Super Bowl. Go back and watch the "Hard Knocks" episodes and you see a team full of itself. They finished 9-7, missed the playoffs and were a mess late in the season.

Phillips could not pull it all together and looked inept as he attempted to deal with the fallout from the Adam Jones' incident. He earned a reprieve in 2009 with an 11-5 finish, an NFC East title and a playoff win -- but that was the high point.

The Cowboys went 1-7 to start the 2010 season with an embarrassing home loss to theJacksonville Jaguars and a gutless loss to the Packers (45-7) the following week.

Jerry Jones made the switch to Garrett after that game and the Cowboys are 29-27 since and have not made the playoffs.

Garrett did not inherit a team ready to win the way Phillips did in 2007. The Cowboys were growing old on the offensive line, and there were too many people (especially those in offices at Valley Ranch) who believed they had the best talent in the league.

The head coach of the Cowboys has tremendous sway on Jones. The Cowboys did not takeRandy Moss in 1998, in part at least, because Chan Gailey didn't want Moss.

On that premise, you can look at the 2008 draft -- with two first-round picks -- as a mess when the Cowboys don't even attempt to re-sign Felix Jones or Mike Jenkins when their contracts expired. The 2009 draft was a colossal failure in part because Jones was convinced that this could be a "special teams draft," which is as ludicrous as the "draft for backups," they had when Barry Switzer was the coach in 1995.

This is not a defense of Garrett. He has made plenty of mistakes on the field and in the draft as well.

Phillips has had a tremendous career in the NFL that has spanned decades. He is a terrific coordinator, but is he in the same conversation as guys like Dick LeBeau, and even, yes, Monte Kiffin? I'm not sure a Phillips defense scared offenses the way LeBeau's defenses in Pittsburgh and Kiffin's defenses in Tampa Bay did. He was a good head coach but could not get his teams in Denver, Buffalo or Dallas past a certain point.

Phillips knows his resume inside and out. He can cite team stats and all of the Hall of Famers he has coached.

He can claim his tweet was more about the games he and Garrett have coached, but it looked more like a passive aggressive shot at the guy who replaced him and a way for him to remind everybody of his record.

By the way, his winning percentage is .607. Landry had a .605 winning percentage.

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

He just can't help it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
While it may be considered sad, I like that Wade is taking pot shots at Garrett & indirectly at Jerry.

If I were a former Cowboys coach and I knew damn well that Jerry played a major role in my failure as a coach, I'd flame his ass as I headed out the door. I'd highlight how Jerry and his son's meddlesome ways and horrid personnel moves handcuffed the coaching staff. And how football doesn't appear to be the #1 priority in Dallas.

I could see not wanting to do something like that if you're a young coach and fairly new to the game, but if I were an experienced coach who's been around like Parcells & Wade, coaches who'd have no problem finding employment elsewhere, I'd definitely tell the truth on why I thought it didn't work out in Dallas.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All this tweet stuff reminds me of an old adage. When someone is dead they don't know they are dead. The only ones who know they are dead are those who are alive. Stupid is the same way.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
While it may be considered sad, I like that Wade is taking pot shots at Garrett & indirectly at Jerry.

If I were a former Cowboys coach and I knew damn well that Jerry played a major role in my failure as a coach, I'd flame his ass as I headed out the door. I'd highlight how Jerry and his son's meddlesome ways and horrid personnel moves handcuffed the coaching staff. And how football doesn't appear to be the #1 priority in Dallas.

I could see not wanting to do something like that if you're a young coach and fairly new to the game, but if I were an experienced coach who's been around like Parcells & Wade, coaches who'd have no problem finding employment elsewhere, I'd definitely tell the truth on why I thought it didn't work out in Dallas.
But then he should actually tell the truth about why he failed instead of just making snide comments about the failure of others around the league compared to him, because that comparison is dumb. No one cares about Wade's record because everyone can see he takes teams and drives them into the mud. He's not employed because teams have caught onto this so he's generally going to be one of the last people called for an interview now. And I'm not just talking about his whiny comparisons to Garrett -- he did the same thing with the Buffalo hire. Waaah, I'm better than he is, they are stupid for not wanting me. No Wade, you're not. You're not better than anybody and no one gives a shit what your record is.

But I actually would respect him if he came out and said "Jerry meddled, that's why I failed." I would even think its great if he said "Jerry undermined me by setting up Garrett to replace me before Garrett had proven anything." Because it still shows the truth about what Jerry's game is.

But he won't do that because he doesn't want to step on any toes, really. He just wants to make snide remarks from a safe distance trying to point out the strengths that he doesn't actually possess.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
At this point it wouldn't hurt Wade to sack up and say "Jerry stuck me with a rookie offensive coordinator that had no idea what the hell a running game was and gave him my job after he helped get me fired. Now you see what I had to deal with on the offensive side while I was in Dallas."

hstour

Brand New Member

But he didn't flame Jerry. I'd be ok with it if he had said, "I could have been more successful if Jerry would have let me do my job."

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Last time I looked, 8-8 was way better than 1-7 (when this team quit on Wade).
Wade didn't have a thing to do with the offense. That team also quit on Garrett.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wade didn't have a thing to do with the offense. That team also quit on Garrett.
There's noway I can prove any of this, but I've always felt gingerfuck sandbagged Wade. You could see a definite change in the playcalling as soon as Wade was fired.

Top Bottom