Cowboys could be a wild-card for Jared Allen...Signs With Bears

data

Forbes #1
This is why we put Herring on the backburner, I'm guessing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And healthier.

I'd view Allen as an upgrade over Ware at this point.
The Vikings haven't won shit for years. Or even been much of a threat, really. Jared Allen must have had a lot of ~gasp~ stat padding sacks that weren't game changers.

Just like Ware.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Vikings haven't won shit for years. Or even been much of a threat, really. Jared Allen must have had a lot of ~gasp~ stat padding sacks that weren't game changers.

Just like Ware.
Well, maybe you're right.

With that said, he'd still provide 2 upgrades at this point in his career:

He's a true 4-3 DE and he's been healthy.

D

Deuce

Except for the 10 wins and a division title 2 seasons ago, NoDak is right.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
About as effective as Ware.

My question is how is he any cheaper?
He's been much healthier than Ware, just as productive, and is the same age, so no way he comes much cheaper, if less money at all.

This is due diligence, no way can Dallas sign this guy.

D

Deuce

We had division titles when Ware was here, too. BFD.
It's true, we did. And because of that I wouldn't say "we never won shit" with him. But at least when discussing Ware, the last time we were winning with him was like 5 or 6 years ago. Allen was on a winner just a season ago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's been much healthier than Ware, just as productive, and is the same age, so no way he comes much cheaper, if less money at all.

This is due diligence, no way can Dallas sign this guy.
We can afford Allen. Hell we can afford to give him the exact same contract as Ware. We have like 10 mil in cap space. Austin gives us the room to sign our draft picks. The problem is I don’t see Allen and Melton as possible and I'd rather go with the cheaper 27 year old.

D

Deuce

We can afford Allen. Hell we can afford to give him the exact same contract as Ware. We have like 10 mil in cap space. Austin gives us the room to sign our draft picks. The problem is I don’t see Allen and Melton as possible and I'd rather go with the cheaper 27 year old.
If you want to believe Broaddus, he says we wouldn't be visiting all of these guys unless we have a plan to attempt to sign all. I don't see how but I would like to see Durant and Parnell gone to at least make the attmept.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want to believe Broaddus, he says we wouldn't be visiting all of these guys unless we have a plan to attempt to sign all. I don't see how but I would like to see Durant and Parnell gone to at least make the attmept.
Well if we are able to sign both I would say we did a good job of upgrading the D-line this offseason. If we draft a guy or two the D-line may actually become a strength.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well if we are able to sign both I would say we did a good job of upgrading the D-line this offseason. If we draft a guy or two the D-line may actually become a strength.
I'm not going to get excited over something I don't think is going to happen, but if by some miracle we got Allen, Melton, and Donald or another solid DT prospect, we'd go from a joke of a line to a damn good one and the best front 7 we've had since 2009.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's true, we did. And because of that I wouldn't say "we never won shit" with him. But at least when discussing Ware, the last time we were winning with him was like 5 or 6 years ago. Allen was on a winner just a season ago.
It was a joke to Ace, Mr. Technicalities. Sorry to offend you.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think he had 11.5 sacks last year. Still pretty good and hasn't had the injury bug that Ware has.

As for the money I'm sure we would have kept Ware if we could have had him for 3 years at 30 with only 20 guaranteed. Wasn't his cap figure over 16 mil for us?

It wouldn't shock me if I'm way off though.
You are correct on all counts. This would be an upgrade over Ware and we would be able to get him much cheaper than Ware would have cost.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
True, if we can technically afford anyone on credit, but if we were going to do that then we should have just kept Ware. Melton at age 27, IMO, is much more critical to this team's long term success than Ware/Allen at age 32. Signing Melton allows us to draft Kony Ealy as the RDE of the future.

You are correct on all counts. This would be an upgrade over Ware and we would be able to get him much cheaper than Ware would have cost.
Not sure this is true. Allen and Ware are in the same class at this point, and Allen lacks the injury history as has been discussed.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With the deal Peppers just got I can't see how we can afford both him and Melton unless one of them comes much cheaper than expected or we work some real cap magic.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Does he have more in his tank than Ware? I thought we were moving on from expensive, older guys whose best years are behind them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Does he have more in his tank than Ware? I thought we were moving on from expensive, older guys whose best years are behind them.
I think he does, which is why I'd be more willing to give him the money that would've gone to Ware.

With that said, I don't want to pay anyone that money over 30.

D

Deuce

That's the old process. But the new process started this morning and we're open to them again.

Top Bottom