2013 NFL Draft Chatter Thread--25-27 Apr

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
But I really liked Tavon Austin. I think he could be special.

So I'm not completely blinded by hatred.

And if you've seen a lot of wvu games like I have, when the wheels came off last season after the great start, every other camera shot of Geno was standing on the sidelines by himself, raging or pouting.

Geno was pouting for sure, but that whole team was in disarray. There was some internal stuff going on there that really divided the locker room.

It certainly doesn't help his cause to not do the interview after the first round...no excuses there.

I don't think Geno is the next RGIII, but I bet he's not as crappy a player as some on this board think he's going to be.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Fox Sports has us listed as a first day loser.

I don’t think Travis Frederick is a bad player. I actually think he can be a good one. I just know that at least two other teams had him listed as a third-round prospect. If that’s the case, perhaps Dallas could have traded down and gotten an extra pick or two, in addition to Frederick. Even the Wisconsin center was a bit surprised, telling Dallas reporters he thought he would be going in the second round.

Carp

DCC 4Life
:lol:dunce

Which is exactly why this team hasn't won a fucking thing in forever...absolutely terrible scouting and GM "evaluations".
Floyd was overrated IMO. Never got why he was considered a top 5 guy.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
We can't forget the team is obsessed with getting another TE. I'm sure they'll get one with one of these next three picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't remember many people hating the Lee pick, just the trade up to get him. I thought he was talented but injury prone.
I remember a lot of people hating the Lee pick. They hated that we took a MLBer at the time which wasn't a perceived need. They hated the trade up. And no one thought at the time that he was some "great" value where we took him, instead we all thought he was a second round pick that we were getting in the second round.

I'll admit I hated the pick. I hated the trade up and I hated the fact that we were using another pick on a LBer. I hated the Carter pick too because I was sick and tired of taking LBers so highly and I questioned his instincts.

This year though, if we take a LBer in the second round I will be biting my tongue because it is one of the few things Dallas has proven me wrong on with regards to their draft day moves.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We keep saying that, but Eifert was there at 18...a guy we were said to covet. I think this TE thing might be a bit overblown.

~ With the 47th pick in the 2nd round, the Dallas Cowboys select Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego St ~

:unsure

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Geno was pouting for sure, but that whole team was in disarray. There was some internal stuff going on there that really divided the locker room.

It certainly doesn't help his cause to not do the interview after the first round...no excuses there.

I don't think Geno is the next RGIII, but I bet he's not as crappy a player as some on this board think he's going to be.
I know it is taboo now to compare black QBs to black QBs and white WRs to white WRs, but Geno's ceiling to me is Aaron Brooks. A decent player when he was at the top of his game. OK runner, above average passer when things are going well.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Why is it a terrible evaluation? What makes you think Floyd and his 5 sacks in 2 years can handle the 3 technique?
I wasn't necessarily referencing Floyd. More along the lines of just drafting players in general.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...Arkin finally has an OL that he can beat in a foot race.

So there's that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I know it is taboo now to compare black QBs to black QBs and white WRs to white WRs, but Geno's ceiling to me is Aaron Brooks. A decent player when he was at the top of his game. OK runner, above average passer when things are going well.
I see him more as Nick Foles...mostly because I don't see color.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Floyd was overrated IMO. Never got why he was considered a top 5 guy.
I totally agree. This isn't a player that I liked and now am trying to justify Dallas passing him over. I never liked Floyd, I didn't even understand why he was a first round prospect in the first place. Hell even Florida fans would tell you they thought he was more of a late first. When it was all said and done in reality Floyd didn't tumble in the draft at all, he went where teams really had him ranked. This isn't a case of a guy falling because of drugs/injuries/or poor perceptions, he fell because teams didn't think that highly of him.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Very possible. I think he has a great arm, but he doesn't run real well and the pouting could be a problem at the next level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's funny but everyone does it. It's the reason why Ryan Swope is viewed as a crafty slow white WR who lacks athletic ability even though he ran a forty in the 4.3s. He gets compared to Jordan Shipley instead of a black WR who has 4.3 speed.

I think your comparison is pretty good though. I don't think Geno is your great Read Option QB, and I don't think he is your great pocket passer either. He played in a bullshit offense that made his stats look good but I wouldn't want Dallas to draft him even in the third round.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
The thing is...if they had Frederick as their 21st guy on the board they got what they want. They had Lee much higher than most had him too and he worked out well. Not homering, but if you go by your team board then they got a steal by their standards and addressed a real need.
You can't say this type of stuff around here Carp.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I thought it was nice that Andy Reid wore the awning cover from the entrance of the Rainforest Cafe. Classy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no guarantee he would have been there and I think him and Elam are both fringe 1/mid 2 types of guys.
The way interior O-lineman were going in this draft it would have been a real dicey situation to get a starting interior O=lineman at all at 47. There are still plenty of safeties left on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom