Sports Science Reviews the Romo Pick

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Go to http://espn.go.com/ and you can select it from the list of videos.

Haters will continue to hate but it's pretty clear what happened there. It was not a bad read. It was a bad throw and it was a bad throw because of the pressure which really shouldn't have been there.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That doesn't really prove that it wasn't a bad read, it just says that without the pressure which effected his throw it probably would have gone through.

Yeah, a perfect pass would have made it through but that can be said of nearly any pass that is intercepted. It's still a situation where Escobar is pretty well covered from both sides given the zone and a check down to Murray would have been the smarter play.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Doggone those Romo haters.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Who's next, fuckin Morgan Freeman and the Through the Wormhole/Romo pass mini-series?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
That doesn't really prove that it wasn't a bad read, it just says that without the pressure which effected his throw it probably would have gone through.

Yeah, a perfect pass would have made it through but that can be said of nearly any pass that is intercepted. It's still a situation where Escobar is pretty well covered from both sides given the zone and a check down to Murray would have been the smarter play.
He was single covered as you could tell from the previous thread showing a picture. Once the pass was thrown, the safety dropped down on Escobar making him look doubled covered. It's funny, you can have a statistical analysis showing the trip caused the pic and you still don't believe it. Not that you're the only one.

This is one of the things that irks me about this board at times. There are some good minds, but often you guys have fixed opinions that don't waver even in the face of proof. That's the essence of stupidity. It's worse - it's ignorance.

Now you can say Tony is unlucky and stuff like this always seems to happen to him. That may well be true. Kind of a vague complaint but at least it bears some validity in terms of history. However, overall he is playing very well this year. The rest of the team - notably the defense - needs to step up. Show me one other team in the league with a winning record with a defense this bad? Football is a team sport. You shouldn't have to score 51 pts to beat a team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's funny, you can have a statistical analysis showing the trip caused the pic
What's really funny is someone thinks you can actually statistical analyze the mechanical process of a football play.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm so sick about hearing about that fucking interception it's not even funny.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He was single covered as you could tell from the previous thread showing a picture. Once the pass was thrown, the safety dropped down on Escobar making him look doubled covered. It's funny, you can have a statistical analysis showing the trip caused the pic and you still don't believe it. Not that you're the only one.

This is one of the things that irks me about this board at times. There are some good minds, but often you guys have fixed opinions that don't waver even in the face of proof. That's the essence of stupidity. It's worse - it's ignorance.

Now you can say Tony is unlucky and stuff like this always seems to happen to him. That may well be true. Kind of a vague complaint but at least it bears some validity in terms of history. However, overall he is playing very well this year. The rest of the team - notably the defense - needs to step up. Show me one other team in the league with a winning record with a defense this bad? Football is a team sport. You shouldn't have to score 51 pts to beat a team.
It was a bad decision considering the down distance and score.

Even if completed it was at most a 8 yard gain and that's not worth throwing to a guy who was not wide open and
in the middle of the field with 3 defenders in the area, that's to much risk very little reward for that type of pass.

This was a tied ball game you don't throw that pass unless your in desperation mode.

Oh yeah you had a ckeckdown guy in the same area who could have gotten the same amount if not more yards.

It had to be a perfect pass to get only 8 yards on second down in a tied ballgame it was a very poor decision, I don't want to put all of the blame on Romo but he has to get some blame for throwing a risky panicked pass at that time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Exactly right.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He was single covered as you could tell from the previous thread showing a picture. Once the pass was thrown, the safety dropped down on Escobar making him look doubled covered.
That's like the definition of double covered, especially in a zone defense, guys are just lurking in their zones. In this case, that defender was covering him over the top and Travathian was underneath.

It's funny, you can have a statistical analysis showing the trip caused the pic and you still don't believe it. Not that you're the only one.

That's funny. I find the worst thing about this board is how people like you automatically assume that when someone has a different perspective on something, they have an agenda.

Now you can say Tony is unlucky and stuff like this always seems to happen to him. That may well be true. Kind of a vague complaint but at least it bears some validity in terms of history. However, overall he is playing very well this year. The rest of the team - notably the defense - needs to step up.
Of course it does.

And Romo also needs to step up by not throwing killer interceptions at the most critical times.

Show me one other team in the league with a winning record with a defense this bad? Football is a team sport. You shouldn't have to score 51 pts to beat a team.
Denver and Chicago are both ranked behind us in PPG and have winning records, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It was a bad decision considering the down distance and score.

Even if completed it was at most a 8 yard gain and that's not worth throwing to a guy who was not wide open and
in the middle of the field with 3 defenders in the area, that's to much risk very little reward for that type of pass.

This was a tied ball game you don't throw that pass unless your in desperation mode.

Oh yeah you had a ckeckdown guy in the same area who could have gotten the same amount if not more yards.

It had to be a perfect pass to get only 8 yards on second down in a tied ballgame it was a very poor decision, I don't want to put all of the blame on Romo but he has to get some blame for throwing a risky panicked pass at that time.
Ignorance in the face of statistical proof!!!!!!!!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What's really funny is someone thinks you can actually statistical analyze the mechanical process of a football play.
Dude, didn't you watch the video? It's been statistically proven that the trip factually caused Romo to lose 10% of his velocity which allowed the LB to pick it off. Duh.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Dude, didn't you watch the video? It's been statistically proven that the trip factually caused Romo to lose 10% of his velocity which allowed the LB to pick it off. Duh.
I find your comments much more convincing than the ESPN physics analysis. Sarcasm is vastly more convincing.

There is opinion and there is fact. You are throwing out opinion to argue against fact.

But by all means, continue on. My I suggest an ad hominem attack now?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I find your comments much more convincing than the ESPN physics analysis. Sarcasm is vastly more convincing.

There is opinion and there is fact. You are throwing out opinion to argue against fact.

Are you really using physics to claim this was not a bad decision?

So in your mind no other variables needed to be accounted for besides he was singled covered and was open for a split 2nd.:lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life

And I already stated how that video's "facts" don't account for a good portion of what people are saying he should be blamed for. All the video says is that the pressure caused a velocity loss and has calculated that a ball that arrived faster would have fit in the window.

But it doesn't take into account the fact that it would have had to have been a perfect pass to achieve that velocity they said was necessary, and at exactly the right spot, even without the pressure. It would have had to have been perfect because he was, in fact, blanketed on three sides.

So I could agree with every fact the video stated and still think Romo was to blame. I already would agree that a perfect pass almost always beats perfect coverage to begin with, it's just that most passes aren't.

townsend

Banned
I think that it's certainly true that Romo could have made a safer decision on that play. Clearly the pass to Murray was the safer call.

That being said, if the short pass to Murray had ended in another short pass, and then a punt we would have lost.

If we had had a defense that had been able to facilitate conservative play, this would have been a much more low scoring game.

Romo made the last of many risky decisions that had kept us in the game at that point and finally came up snake eyes.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's funny. I find the worst thing about this board is how people like you automatically assume that when someone has a different perspective on something, they have an agenda.
How is that any worse than saying people that don't agree with you are either a blind homer or retarded? Or whatever other combination suits the moment. You and some others use that one quite frequently.

Right Ace?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think that it's certainly true that Romo could have made a safer decision on that play. Clearly the pass to Murray was the safer call.

That being said, if the short pass to Murray had ended in another short pass, and then a punt we would have lost.
And? This is so reminiscent of the Seattle game rhetoric, it is comical. Oh yeah? Didn't really matter and stuff because, well, Alexander ran over Roy Williams and they like ran out the clock...not accountable!

We do not know that for certainty. Is it probable and very likely, sure. But the only thing factual was what happened prior to that. And that was Romo's mistake...which amazingly, even after days of rumination, people still won't even admit it was a bad decision.

Had he made the right decision, Romo would be hailed as a hero right now instead of the goat and the result is the same. A Loss. And that is all that matters.

This week, we'd have been nailing Kiffin to the wall, but you know what, there would be excuses there too. We lost the game.

The game was lost regardless as Denver was the better team. The question strictly turns if we should be impressed that we looked better and if that translates to the future...which honestly, only a fool feels extremely confident that it does.

If we had had a defense that had been able to facilitate conservative play, this would have been a much more low scoring game.
But we didn't have that defense.

That's the general point. Romo had this game where it was because he was balls to the wall. Normally, he's not. I can all but guarantee you this was his finest 58 minutes of football in his career and he will never duplicate it again. It is just tragic he fell into a habit in the last two minutes.

When it got down to the point where it was tied and we needed to win it, he took it upon himself to think he could be the hero. And usually when he makes these kind of heartbreaking mistakes, it is because he feels he has to.

It is like a maestro conducting a magnificent concerto up until the end of the piece and then he sneezes to screw everything up. What's a problem is that he's sneezed before. Multiple times. Do you blame the orchestra for the ruined experience?

He does not know how to throttle back late in tight games with high stakes and play sound situational football.

He gets suckered into plays that often he would not make at other times and it is often by players that quite honestly, aren't going to be making Pro Bowls anytime soon. Rob Jackson and Danny Trevathan are ham and eggers that suddenly people want to credit making miracle plays off of poor victim Tony. How come these two guys will probably never have plays like this again the rest of their careers? Was it just luck? According to some people, I guess it is.

Right or wrong, the only way he sheds this reputation is to have games where he moves with the ebb and flow instead of being the ebb and flow personally.

Whether people will admit it or not, at the end of the day, we lost that game was because of the INT. It set them up, without question, with the game winning points.

Romo made the last of many risky decisions that had kept us in the game at that point and finally came up snake eyes.
Again, irrelevant on the scoreboard.

Top Bottom