2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cml750

Not So New Member
I'd put money on that I've read more about Reagan than you have. You want to paint Reagan as a person who was politically in tune with Donald Trump or any of these clowns in the GOP, sure, whatever. Don't tell me that calling bullshit on that is because of some lack of research on my part.
Okay, I just looked at your profile and do not see a birthdate. I may be wrong but think you may be young. I actually lived during Reagan's years. I also remember Jimmy Carter, Bush 41, and Clinton. I do not think you have done your due diligence on Reagan reserach given what you posted. Please research EVERYTHING and get back to me. Too much of the media is left slanted to accept it without due diligence. I am not arguing with you as I know what I am talking about because I lived it. I have no desire to embarrass you here. Please just look EVERYTHING up from all viewpoints and you will see my point. Hint, it is a little bit harder to find the actual truth than simple internet searches which are usually left leaning.

cml750

Not So New Member
I'd put money on that I've read more about Reagan than you have. You want to paint Reagan as a person who was politically in tune with Donald Trump or any of these clowns in the GOP, sure, whatever. Don't tell me that calling bullshit on that is because of some lack of research on my part.
Okay, I just looked at your profile and do not see a birthdate. I may be wrong but think you may be young. I actually lived during Reagan's years. I also remember Jimmy Carter, Bush 41, and Clinton. I do not think you have done your due diligence on Reagan reserach given what you posted. Please research EVERYTHING and get back to me. Too much of the media is left slanted to accept it without due diligence. I am not arguing with you as I know what I am talking about because I lived it. I have no desire to embarrass you here. Please just look EVERYTHING up from all viewpoints and you will see me point /. Hint, it is a little bit harder to find the actual truth than simple internet searches which are usually left leaning.

cml750

Not So New Member
I will add that I do not think you are too far from the right track and will eventually realize it. Don't let me discourage you from seeking the truth because I actually encourage it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Okay, I just looked at your profile and do not see a birthdate. I may be wrong but think you may be young. I actually lived during Reagan's years. I also remember Jimmy Carter, Bush 41, and Clinton. I do not think you have done your due diligence on Reagan reserach given what you posted. Please research EVERYTHING and get back to me. Too much of the media is left slanted to accept it without due diligence. I am not arguing with you as I know what I am talking about because I lived it. I have no desire to embarrass you here. Please just look EVERYTHING up from all viewpoints and you will see my point. Hint, it is a little bit harder to find the actual truth than simple internet searches which are usually left leaning.
I'm 35, I remember Reagan being president when I was a kid and I know all about him. I know he was a Democrat when he was Governor of California, I know he switched parties when the Democrats became too liberal. I know about his foreign policy, I know about his economic policy. I know he passed his agenda despite the fact that Republicans never held congress while he was in office. What I don't know is what the hell you are talking about because you haven't bothered to actually respond to a single point I've made. All you have to say is "Uhm, I don't have an argument... just, uhm, DO SOME RESEARCH!"

cml750

Not So New Member
I'm 35, I remember Reagan being president when I was a kid and I know all about him. I know he was a Democrat when he was Governor of California, I know he switched parties when the Democrats became too liberal. I know about his foreign policy, I know about his economic policy. I know he passed his agenda despite the fact that Republicans never held congress while he was in office. What I don't know is what the hell you are talking about because you haven't bothered to actually respond to a single point I've made. All you have to say is "Uhm, I don't have an argument... just, uhm, DO SOME RESEARCH!"
Because you are on the right track. You just need to dig a little deeper. I could post hundreds of links for that purpose but I do not think it is necessary. I am lazy and have no desire to do your research for you. You can either remain somewhat naive or dig a little deeper. It is your choice. You were barely born when Reagan took office and do not know Jimmy Carter from experience. I got a honey do list a mile long that I have to start on so talk to you later friend. I am not your enemy here.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This dude has a definite Eugene vibe to him.

"I am smarter than you. Take my word for it." :lol

cml750

Not So New Member
This dude has a definite Eugene vibe to him.

"I am smarter than you. Take my word for it." :lol
Smarter is debatable but I am probably wiser than most. I did not say take my word for it either. I said to do your own research and to look at EVERYTHING. If I took the time to prove one point I win that point. Big deal. If I convince you to look beyond the mainstream media to find the real truth then you are on my side forever. It is your choice and I truly do not care.

cml750

Not So New Member
If Reagan was so fucking conservative, why did he raise taxes multiple times?
Reagan was dealing with complete control of the House by the Democrats. The Republicans did not win the House until 1994. Compromises were made to push his agenda. Clinton and Bush 43 knew the art of compromise too. Only Obama has proven to be incapable of compromise.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Smarter is debatable but I am probably wiser than most. I did not say take my word for it either. I said to do your own research and to look at EVERYTHING. If I took the time to prove one point I win that point. Big deal. If I convince you to look beyond the mainstream media to find the real truth then you are on my side forever. It is your choice and I truly do not care.
I didn't say you said it. I said you give off a Eugene vibe, and HE said that. I would have thought somebody as wise as you could have figured that out.

cml750

Not So New Member
I didn't say you said it. I said you give off a Eugene vibe, and HE said that. I would have thought somebody as wise as you could have figured that out.
lol, I do not know who that guy is.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I've always found that the wisest people are the ones who go on about how wise they are.

townsend

Banned
The Democrats are much closer to communism than the Republicans are to fascism. Also, the Republican party is still centrist, too much so for my taste. The Tea Party is what the Republicans used to be, the Republicans are what the Democrats used to be and the Democrats have fallen off of the left side of oblivion. I mean the Democrats have gone bat shit crazy left under the idiot Obama. Remember, Reagan was considered EXTREME right wing and was the best president we have had in several decades before and after his presidency. We are to a point where we either let the government take full control of everything and make all our decisions for us, or we vote for common sense and put the power back into the people hands and let them make their own decisions.
Haw haw. Reagan was extreme right wing by doing what? Bailing out Detroit? granting amnesty to illegal immigrants? Taking the US from being the worlds biggest lender to its largest debtor? People are so fucking dumb. Reagan was a politician that spun Barry Goldwater's conservative rhetoric in such a way to also cater to the religious right. He has more in common with Obama than not.

But it's cool, thanks to bullshit rhetoric that paints virtually identical politicians in shades of red and blue we can pretend liberal and conservative are actually a thing.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Haw haw. Reagan was extreme right wing by doing what? Bailing out Detroit? granting amnesty to illegal immigrants? Taking the US from being the worlds biggest lender to its largest debtor? People are so fucking dumb. Reagan was a politician that spun Barry Goldwater's conservative rhetoric in such a way to also cater to the religious right. He has more in common with Obama than not.

But it's cool, thanks to bullshit rhetoric that paints virtually identical politicians in shades of red and blue we can pretend liberal and conservative are actually a thing.
With Reagan it's not always easy to separate the agenda he intended to pass from the stuff he traded to the Democrat congress to get it passed. Reagan never had a Republican congress. Bush II, Clinton, and Obama had congress, though the latter two were so aggressive passing unpopular shit that they lost it in the first midterm.

townsend

Banned
With Reagan it's not always easy to separate the agenda he intended to pass from the stuff he traded to the Democrat congress to get it passed. Reagan never had a Republican congress. Bush II, Clinton, and Obama had congress, though the latter two were so aggressive passing unpopular shit that they lost it in the first midterm.
Democrats wilt a lot more in the midterms, probably because voters under 55 are complete flakes. Also most presidents face midterm backlash since a good percentage of their base will at least be a little disenfranchised. Bush got a break from that thanks to everyone being out of their fucking mind in 2002.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Democrats wilt a lot more in the midterms, probably because voters under 55 are complete flakes. Also most presidents face midterm backlash since a good percentage of their base will at least be a little disenfranchised. Bush got a break from that thanks to everyone being out of their fucking mind in 2002.
The Brady Bill and Obamacare weren't "losing a few seats" unpopular though. They were landslide unpopular. The Clinton one particularly was a completely unprecedented swing in the history of Congress.

townsend

Banned
The Brady Bill and Obamacare weren't "losing a few seats" unpopular though. They were landslide unpopular. The Clinton one particularly was a completely unprecedented swing in the history of Congress.
Don't forget that the 2010 election was a mid term that followed an election that had an enormous youth turnout. It was a logical correction to a deep blue presidential election.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Race-baiting is just as bad in my eyes.
Trump's racial fearmongering sinks to a dangerous new low

November 24, 2015

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s racial fear-mongering plunged to a new low this weekend.

This opening sentence may lead you to reasonably assume that this article is about his vile idea to create a national registry for Muslim-Americans, which he floated in a conversation with an NBC News reporter last Thursday. On Sunday, however, he did something that’s arguably more repugnant when he tweeted out false crime statistics alleging that most murders in the U.S. are committed by African-Americans.

The tweet featured an image of a fabricated chart from “Crime Bureau Statistics--San Francisco” which claimed that in 2015 81 percent of all white murder victims and 97 percent of all black victims were killed by black murderers. The chart also alleged that only 1 percent of black murder victims were killed by law enforcement, while 2 percent of all white victims were. In addition to the fraudulent numbers, the tweet featured a stereotypical illustration of a young black male dressed part gangster/part terrorist--replete with combat boots and a bandanna ominously covering half his face--and aiming a gun.

As Slate reports, there there are two critical problems with the graphic Trump tweeted, and they are both a really big deal if you think the truth matters. First, the “Crime Statistics Bureau--San Francisco” doesn’t even exist. More importantly, the data is as false as the source providing it.

In fact, the statistics are substantially inaccurate. By way of contrast, the FBI’s most recent crime statistics (from 2014) paint a substantially different picture. According to its stats, 82 percent of all white murders in 2014 were committed by white people, and black people were responsible for 90 percent of black murders, rather than 97 percent. White people were responsible for 8 percent of black murders instead of 2 percent, as alleged by Trump’s tweet. As Slate notes, credible data also suggests that “blacks die at the hands of police disproportionately to whites,” although “government data on the number of people killed by police in a given year is shamefully incomplete.”

Unlike the fictitious Crime Statistics Bureau--San Francisco, the FBI seems like a pretty reputable law enforcement agency. At least it is a real one.

On the `O'Reilly Factor' Monday night, Trump attempted to deflect this controversy the way he always does--by refusing to take responsibility for his race-baiting. Claiming to be "probably the least racist person on Earth," he asserted that he "retweeted somebody that was supposedly an expert."

As it turns out, the Crime Statistics Bureau--San Francisco graphic was created and first disseminated by a neo-nazi. Let that sink in for a moment. The current frontrunner for the Republican nomination for President retweeted a racist graphic that was created by a neo-nazi and then called that person an "expert" on a nationally televised news talk show. Even Bill O'Reilly couldn't believe it, calling the statistics "totally wrong" and actually shaming Trump for retweeting them.

It would be one thing if we could simply dismiss this latest example of Trump’s race-baiting as fodder for political satire, but we can't. His racial vitriol must be condemned as not only hateful and offensive, but dangerous as well. With these bogus statistics, Trump digs up the same vicious stereotypes that were routinely used by racial terrorists to justify nearly 4000 lynchings in the U.S. from Reconstruction to World War II. He has officially crossed the line from using veiled language to stoke the latent racial fears of his supporters to embracing vicious racist rhetoric that has incited mob violence in the past.

In fact, it appears that Trump’s words have already started to trigger that effect. At a Trump campaign event on Saturday, a Black Lives Matter protester was attacked and beaten up by a group of angry Trump supporters. What was Trump’s response? “Maybe he should have been roughed up.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom