Gosselin chat response on Fluker

GShock

DCC 4Life
Assuming all 5 of top OL are gone at 18, would you pick Fluker, one of the remaining DL or Vacarro? I think Fluker has the most impact on this team over the next 5 years. The only knock on him is that he can't play LT. If we get Fluker, we can release free, and then have the money to sign our draft picks.... Thoughts?

I'd take the best offensive lineman on the board regardless of position. If guards Cooper and Warmack are gone and Fluker's there, I'd take Fluker. Smith is your left tackle. Fluker would pencil in on the right side anyway. I'd ask Free to take a pay cut and if he doesn't, I'd tell him good-bye. Regarding Free's money, if you don't have the money available under your cap, you cannot draft. It's that simple. So neither the Spears nor the Free money would impact the ability to draft players. The Romo contract freed up the money for the Cowboys to draft.

I hear Fluker could have trouble with speed rushers. What are you hearing?

I'd be real concerned if he was my left tackle. That's the speed side. But Fluker would pencil in at right tackle. The right side is the power side. He also has a tight end over there if he needs any help.

If Gino Smith drops to 18 - do the Cowboys take him?

He won't drop to 18 nor would the Cowboys take him. There will be other options available that would make this team more competitive in the short term. And when you're drawing 90,000 per game -- as the Cowboys did in their last three home dates -- the short term is what matters to Jones.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
If Warmack/Cooper/Richardson are off the board, I have absolutely no problem with Fluker. He's not gonna be the favorite pick, but our running game is atrocious with the line we have now. I want that changed immediately so that our offense works on all cylinders. We aren't the Saints, we can't just ignore the run

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If the following are gone:

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Lane Johnson
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper

Star Lotulelei
Sheldon Richardson

And the choice is between Fluker, Werner, Sylvester Williams, Tavon Austin, and Kenny Vaccaro....

I think I take Werner there.

But any of Fluker, Werner, and Williams make me happy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd be happy with Fluker at 18. I'd have no problem drafting a career RT at #18.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Free will be released at some point. I can only assume that the only reason he's hasn't been released yet is because the Cowboys want to see how the draft shakes out before the move forward.

Regarding Geno Smith, I don't think the Cowboys will even entertain the thought of drafting a QB at 18. We have a lame duck coach and a QB that recently signed a long term extension.

D

Deuce

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Lane Johnson
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper

Star Lotulelei
Sheldon Richardson

And the choice is between Fluker, Werner, Sylvester Williams, Tavon Austin, and Kenny Vaccaro....

I'm not sold on Williams yet and like Austin more, but I agree with your basic point. Werner and Fluker would both be tremendous additions to their sides of the ball.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Lane Johnson
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper

Star Lotulelei
Sheldon Richardson

As much as I want to go OL I would have a hard time passing on Austin. He changes the whole offensive dynamic for opposing defenses.

1bigfan13

Staff member
If Warmack/Cooper/Richardson are off the board, I have absolutely no problem with Fluker. He's not gonna be the favorite pick, but our running game is atrocious with the line we have now. I want that changed immediately so that our offense works on all cylinders. We aren't the Saints, we can't just ignore the run
I hear you. However upgrading the OL talent is only step 1 in the process. We still have Garrett calling the shots on offense. Step 2 is moving on from him.

If we had our 90s OL Garrett would still probably ignore the running game. He can't help himself.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I've heard talk of Fluker being too fat and slow to play RT also and having to move to OG.

D

Deuce

I don't know about too fat, but slow feet has been a negative for him.

However, his arms as super long which negates that problem. Everything I've read says that if he gets his hands on the opponent, they are done. He doesn't let them get free.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
As much as I want to go OL I would have a hard time passing on Austin. He changes the whole offensive dynamic for opposing defenses.
Cowboys have atrocious team speed and it's a serious weakness. A guy like Tavon Austin forces the defense to back off. As it is, the lack of team speed makes the OL weakness even worse.

A lot of Romo's interceptions happen throwing to the intermediate middle of the field where defenders camp on routes or break off to help and Romo never sees them coming. Tavon Austin can clear zones and make defenders pay for breaking off.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't know about too fat, but slow feet has been a negative for him.

However, his arms as super long which negates that problem. Everything I've read says that if he gets his hands on the opponent, they are done. He doesn't let them get free.
Sounds like he likes to hold. Perfect replacement for Free.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I've seen a lot of Tavon living in this shithole state, and as much as I would hate to use a first on yet another skill player instead of the trenches, he might be worth it.

D

Deuce

I like Austin, but I think someone will be there for us instead of him.

If so, I'd love to pull the trigger on his teammate a few rounds later.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Stedman Bailey? I dunno about that. I think he benefited a lot from everyone focusing on trying to stop Tavon.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I think Stedman Bailey can be an impact player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've gone to bat for stud WRs before, but I don't see Austin as that #1 Julio Jones/AJ Green type.

D

Deuce

Stedman Bailey? I dunno about that. I think he benefited a lot from everyone focusing on trying to stop Tavon.
I don't think you score 25 TDs in a season just because the D is focused on someone else. I like him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I've gone to bat for stud WRs before, but I don't see Austin as that #1 Julio Jones/AJ Green type.

Depending on how things shake out, I think Austin may be BPA at 18. I definitely like him more than Fluker.

Austin is probably not a Jones/Green type, but he's not a top ten pick either. I wouldn't take Austin in the top ten, but I think at 18 he is a lot more ideal.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just see a guy who could be a Desean Jackson type or Percy Harvin. We've needed a player like that for so long.

Top Bottom