Damned Tony Romo

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Damned Tony Romo
By Chris Arnold | 105.3 The Fan
October 9, 2013 11:20 AM

ARLINGTON (105.3 THE FAN) – Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don’t lie. And if you can’t handle the truth about Tony Romo, stop reading right now.

Damned Tony Romo! Because he’s the quarterback for America’s Team, where Jerry Jones sets the bar at “Super Bowl or bust” every season. Romo is damned if he does or damned if he doesn’t.

His incredible performance this season against the Denver Broncos, a Cowboys franchise record 506 yards passing and 5 touchdowns, included a game changing interception. Damn! It seemed to be a microcosm of his career! It had Romo haters screaming “Choke Artist!” from coast to coast. And it had Romo supporters arguing it was the Cowboys’ defense that cost them a 51-48 defeat at the hands of the best quarterback in the game today, Peyton Manning.

Damn! Romo can’t win the perception game. If Romo had led his team to the game winning field goal, would Denver fans be roasting Manning or ripping their own defense for giving up half a hundred points to Dallas?

Perception sucks. And the perception is, Romo can’t win a big game and cannot bring a team back from behind in the 4th quarter. This perception is the Big Lie. Romo has done all of those things and more, at a higher rate than some of the best quarterbacks in the league. They get a pass on their failures, some because their teams have won Super Bowls or playoff games, or some because most of their failures weren’t televised to the majority of the country each week. Romo does not have the rings, but that does Not mean he’s a Choke Artist. He’s actually one of the most clutch quarterbacks in the NFL today. WTF?

The problem is this, Romo is held to a ridiculously high standard that no other quarterback is held to. Nothing short of a Super Bowl MVP season would make detractors realize Romo is a very good quarterback on a not so good team. The bottom line is Romo can never be a Super Bowl MVP without a better team around him. Period.

Romo is clutch? Don’t worry, I can prove it. The numbers don’t lie. What made me dig deep and research this was the fact that Romo has the highest 4th quarter quarterback rating of any quarterback since the year 2000. 100.7 going into this season. Yes, higher than Manning, Brady & Rodgers. So how could he own that lofty rating if he was a bonified choke artist? It seemed impossible to me. He couldn’t possibly be both.

For “Next Level Analysis”, let’s check the numbers:

We know Romo isn’t a bus driver. He has thrown for over 300 yards a total of 41 times and has 51 games with a passer rating over 100.0 (minimum 15 attempts). His 7.94 yards per attempt is the seventh highest in NFL history. He’s not conservative.

Romo has seven straight seasons with a passer rating of at least 90.0 (minimum 200 attempts). Only Steve Young (1991-98) and Peyton Manning (2003-10) have ever done that. Romo’s 95.6 passer rating is fifth all time.

In the only season Romo had a top 10 defense (2009), he won a playoff game. Coincidence? Hmm… Maybe he needs a better team around him? He’s historically productive, efficient, wins more than he loses and he has the rare skills to buy time in the pocket and make big plays. Oh, but that still doesn’t satisfy the doubters who say Romo has never “carried or lifted” a team to clutch victories like the great quarterbacks are supposed to do. No one it seems, can remember the last time Romo brought the Cowboys from behind to win a game. Are you kidding me?

Tony Romo has the franchise record for most come from behind victories with 18. Yep, more than Aikman, Staubach and Meredith. Still not good enough, huh? How about this fact: Romo has the 2nd most 4th quarter comeback wins in the NFL since 2011 with 9! Only Eli Manning had more with 10. You want more? Romo has 9 game-winning drives (3rd behind Eli’s 11 and Matt Ryan’s 10) since 2011.

While many bash Romo for choking, it’s amazing how they can’t seem to remember the last time Romo had a 4th quarter comeback victory! They only vaguely remember the 2011 overtime win in San Francisco with Romo playing with a punctured lung. How quickly the experts forget that last season Romo set a Cowboys franchise record with FIVE comeback wins for a season!

In fact, Romo became the first quarterback in team history to lead 3 consecutive comebacks and game-winning drives in Weeks 13-15. The 9-point comeback Romo led in Cincinnati was the only time the Bengals allowed 20 points in their final nine games. He followed that up with a 14-point comeback in the final 4:45 to force overtime with New Orleans before going on to lose 34-31. But all everyone remembers is the last game against the Redskins and his last pick.

Like clockwork, Romo had one of his worst moments when the Nielsen ratings were at their highest. His interception late in the fourth quarter with Dallas trailing 21-18 was a killer. All the hard work put in, all the successful drives wasted with one snap. And like that, Romo further securing his ridiculous national choker status.That’s Romo’s problem. He’s good enough, often great even, to put Dallas in positions to do something, but it just seems like the errors come when everyone in the nation’s watching.

Nobody cares that the Cowboys started last season 3-5, that Romo led the Cowboys from a 23-0 deficit to the Giants, only to lose the greatest comeback win in team history by the size of Dez Bryant’s fingers. Or that they lost on the final play of the game against eventual champion Baltimore on a missed Dan Bailey field goal 31-29. Those games, like the Denver game this season, do nothing to boost Romo’s reputation because they are all losses.

So let’s compare. Does Romo fail more in the clutch than some of the biggest names in the game today? The numbers say Romo IS clutch, and in some cases even more clutch than those with gaudy reputations.

Romo’s clutch track record is too good to only remember the bad plays. His records at comebacks and game-winning drive opportunities put him right there, compared to reputation, with today’s current top quarterbacks, especially the likes of Drew Brees, Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers.

Let’s take a “Next Level Analysis” look at Romo in the clutch. Tony Romo has 19 career game wining drives since he became a starting quarterback. Looking deeper, he has 10 turnovers in 27 games that the game winning drive failed. Sounds like a choke huh? Welp, let’s look at Phillip Rivers who also became a starter in 2006. Rivers has 22 turnovers in 36 game winning drive failures. That’s 10 vs 22! Also, Rivers was 2-19 in game winning drives going into this season. Who’s the better quarterback?

It’s no different for Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees, who each won a Super Bowl when their defense stepped up with several critical takeaways and stops during the postseason. (Peyton Manning & Eli Manning too, but we’ll leave them out of this one)

The national media and pro football fans ignore the fact that Rogers is an amazing 0-18 in 4th quarter comebacks against teams that are .500 or better in his career! They ignore that Drew Brees has only made the playoffs 5 times in 12 years and has 20 turnovers in clutch drive ending losses (compared to Romo’s 10). Those quarterbacks get the pass because they have a ring. Rivers? His reputation as being clutch is fiction.

No one’s trying to put Romo in the Hall of Fame or on the same pedestal as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, but the facts remain that he’s very good and gets held to one of the more ridiculous standards in the league. There are other quarterbacks blowing games more often than Romo, and there aren’t as many giving their team a chance to win as Romo. Yet Romo, who delivers more times in the clutch than many others, is considered a choke artist.

In a league that savors top picks at quarterback, we should be celebrating Romo as one of the best undrafted quarterbacks in NFL history. His success story should be something for all kids who dream of possibly making it in the NFL one day. Instead he gets held to all or nothing standards. Why do we hold Romo to a higher standard than most quarterbacks who are drafted in the first round? It must be a Cowboys bias. I shake my head.

So to come full circle. Men lie. Women lie. Even media and fans lie. Numbers don’t lie. Tony Romo is one of the most clutch quarterbacks in the NFL today, and with a better team around him he could get a Super Bowl ring and maybe his true reputation will be celebrated. Until then, perception continues to distort reality. Damn.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is nothing I'd like better than to see Romo win one, because he really can be an excellent, excellent QB and worthy of the Hall of Fame.

He has to win these games that he is in a position to win, though. Whatever he is doing, he has to do a little bit better.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Have to get it done against the top tier teams, late in the season and in the playoffs. Romo routinely does none of this.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Everyone acts like Romo can do the win/loss outcome on his own.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I love to bash Romo as much as the next guy...but the writer has a point. If Romo had a D to go with his out of the world games, chances are he isn't even put in the position to throw a pick. Romo isn't excused for the whole career fiasco and reputation he's gotten- he has thrown mind boggling INTS when the D has been playing lights out, and lost games.

Truly, the D lost the Denver game as much as Romo...same could be said for many of the games where Romo is pressing and trying to come from behind. He is normally in that position because his D sucks donkey balls.

And he has a GM that has no issue putting dumbass ideas out there about his QB being able to improvise as a way to win instead of putting a top 10 D on the field.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And you can't blame the GM...

And you can't blame the HC...

And you can't blame the OC...

And you can't blame the owner...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I love to bash Romo as much as the next guy...but the writer has a point. If Romo had a D to go with his out of the world games, chances are he isn't even put in the position to throw a pick. Romo isn't excused for the whole career fiasco and reputation he's gotten- he has thrown mind boggling INTS when the D has been playing lights out, and lost games.

Truly, the D lost the Denver game as much as Romo...same could be said for many of the games where Romo is pressing and trying to come from behind. He is normally in that position because his D sucks donkey balls.

And he has a GM that has no issue putting dumbass ideas out there about his QB being able to improvise as a way to win instead of putting a top 10 D on the field.
I agree with what you say. The thing that buggs me is that his mistakes are portrayed in a manner that no one else has ever made mistakes on the level of his. Just look at the most recent game and you can see that the defense continually made game altering mistakes repeatedly. I am not a Romo apoligist but the guy contributes more to the team than any other player and he is given the tar and feather treatment for every error he commits. I simply ask that folks be objective about performance analysis. I see and hear a lot of prejudicial comments but not a lot of fair handed treatment. Give the guy his due but don't bury him for all the sins of the team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Have to get it done against the top tier teams, late in the season and in the playoffs. Romo routinely does none of this.
It's happened too often for him to not take at least some of the blame, BUT it has always been a team failure. Especially in 2007 with some early defensive gaffs and terrible late penalties and drops. The stats sheet will read "interception on 4th down, Romo", but it doesn't tell the story. At all.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
But we can blame the defense!

We can ALWAYS blame the defense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's happened too often for him to not take at least some of the blame, BUT it has always been a team failure. Especially in 2007 with some early defensive gaffs and terrible late penalties and drops. The stats sheet will read "interception on 4th down, Romo", but it doesn't tell the story. At all.
What happened in the past has nothing to do with the performance Sunday if one is going to be fair about the game's outcome.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
But we can blame the defense!

We can ALWAYS blame the defense.
Funny how Jerry made excuses and propped Monte Kiffin for aloowing 900 yards of offense in 2 weeks, but he was quick to blame Ryan for his performance last year while missing a lot of starters.

I didn't like Ryan, but I think it's bullshit that he doesn't hold everyone to the same standard.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What happened in the past has nothing to do with the performance Sunday if one is going to be fair about the game's outcome.
I think even the Romo haters understand he was the best player on the field for Dallas last Sunday. Slamming Romo has just become a tradition among Cowboy-haters, and media outlets would be foolish not to capitalize on a wave of sentiment like that.

It really means nothing at this point. All that matters is the next game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Funny how Jerry made excuses and propped Monte Kiffin for aloowing 900 yards of offense in 2 weeks, but he was quick to blame Ryan for his performance last year while missing a lot of starters.

I didn't like Ryan, but I think it's bullshit that he doesn't hold everyone to the same standard.
Jerry saves his "woodshed" scapegoat for the end of the year.

He threw Wade under a bus in 2010, Romo in 2011, Garrett and Ryan in 2012. He never penalizes himself or his family. He gave Romo 108 million so he can't blame him anymore. Blasting Kiffen sounds hollow given the one constant from 2012 is the defensive personnel. So barring playoff success, without a doubt Garrett job is next.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There's a fine line between a QB who can't get it done and one that carries a shitty team as far as it can go.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
One day he will be inducted into the ROH despite not winning anything of consequence, and the usual suspects will pat him on the back, assuring him that it wasn't his fault.

Top Bottom