Ware Watch 2014

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas hopes to keep DeMarcus Ware

Updated: March 4, 2014, 8:55 PM ET

By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

The Dallas Cowboys have told defensive end DeMarcus Ware that they want him to remain with the team in 2014, according to a source, but now the team and player have to come up with a way to bridge the gap over how much the seven-time Pro Bowler makes.

Ware is scheduled to make $27 million over the next two years. He is set to receive a $12.25 million base salary and a $500,000 workout bonus in 2014, and $13.75 million in base salary with another $500,000 workout bonus in 2015.

The Cowboys have simply restructured his contract in past years to create salary-cap space, but they are not as willing to chew up salary-cap space in the future on Ware, who turns 32 in July and had six sacks in 2013. The question then becomes how much of a pay cut Ware would be willing to accept and how the team could structure a new deal in a way for Ware to possibly make up the difference in money through incentives.

The Baltimore Ravens recently signed Terrell Suggs, who was entering the final season of his contract, to a four-year extension that included $16 million in the first two years of the deal.

The Cowboys, needing about $1 million to get under the cap, do not have to touch Ware's contract to be cap compliant by March 11. Instead, they could release a player or two, or restructure other contracts. In order to be spenders when free agency begins, however, they would need to gain some salary-cap space.

Ware told ESPN.com last month that he would stay out of the contract talks.

"My mentality is that I'm going to do what I need to do to try to help the team out the best I can where they're going to win and I want to win," Ware said. "We need guys here to be on the team for next season to help me out, to help us out, so sometimes you can't think about a whole bunch of money and then not have anybody there. You need somebody there by your side, a defensive tackle, a defensive end, a wide receiver. You need to figure it out because the time is now. We need to win. That's what I get out of playing. I play hurt, bruised up. Some guys don't play, but I still get out there and play because I don't care about anything else."

Ware, who is the franchise's all-time leader in sacks, had made the Pro Bowl from 2006 to 2012 but missed the first three games of his career in 2013 because of a quadriceps strain. He is recovering from right elbow surgery to repair a nerve issue that had troubled him the past two seasons.

At the NFL scouting combine, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he could not guarantee Ware would be a Cowboy in 2014, but he also said he has a difficult time wondering what the Dallas defense would look like without Ware.

Coach Jason Garrett said at the combine that he believed Ware could continue as an elite pass-rusher.

Now the Cowboys have to determine just how much they want Ware.

-------------------

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd like to keep him, but he has to take the pay cut.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd like to keep him, but he has to take the pay cut.
I would be okay with that, as long as we don't turn around with the money he gives back or we get because he is cut and just give it to Hatcher.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Ware has to realize that the NFL is a "show me" league. This isn't the corporate business world, where your salary is basically guaranteed throughout the time that you're employed.

Just because he's accustomed to receiving a certain amount of money does NOT justify him receiving that same amount of money now.

His play the last two years has shown that he isn't worth top D-end/OLB $$.

Bottom line for Ware: Wake up and realize you're not what you were in 2009.

If he were smart, he'd take an incentive-driven "pay cut" with the Cowboys, where his play determines his pay grade. If not, kick his ass to the curb.

I just pray Jerry isn't stupid enough to just restructure it again, or even worse, do nothing since we are basically under the cap now.

If he is cut, nobody will be willing to pay Ware what Jerry is willing to pay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any idiot can see Ware's numbers have been on the decline over the past 3 years. I'm hopeful he can have a bounce back healthy year but I'm certainly not going to cling to that hope at his age. You don't pay a guy 17 million in hopes that he might be healthy and give you 11 sacks. I love Ware but at his age he should be viewed at as more of a flier then a sure thing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If he is cut, nobody will be willing to pay Ware what Jerry is willing to pay.
Depends on how deep of a pay cut. If it is to $6M or so, I can see another team with cap money to burn (and a cap floor to hit) using it.

There are a couple of teams that will have a hard time signing their current talent to meet the minimum expectations for the salary cap floor.

data

Forbes #1
Not Ware's fault. Onus is on Jerruh and Stephen to fix the mess they created.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not Ware's fault. Onus is on Jerruh and Stephen to fix the mess they created.
Ayuh. But what is funny is that I bet Ware ends up being the bad guy here because he doesn't want to take a severe pay cut.

Good for him I guess. I figured he would be the one guy they could manipulate into doing it since he's kind of passive and has deep roots in the area.

Should be interesting to see who blinks first.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Depends on how deep of a pay cut. If it is to $6M or so, I can see another team with cap money to burn (and a cap floor to hit) using it .
I'd be more than fine with giving him something in the $6-8M range, but I doubt he'd ever be willing to take that large of cut. Here's to hoping, though.

data

Forbes #1
Ayuh. But what is funny is that I bet Ware ends up being the bad guy here because he doesn't want to take a severe pay cut.

Good for him I guess. I figured he would be the one guy they could manipulate into doing it since he's kind of passive and has deep roots in the area.

...and how is this different from the previous contracts Jerruh/Stephen has saddled the Cowboys with - Terence Newman, Marion Barber, Roy Williams, etc...

Ware's not the bad guy. If fans are complaining that Ware should do what's 'good for the team', well, what should Jerry be doing? A couple million vs a new GM - you pick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd be more than fine with giving him something in the $6-8M range, but I doubt he'd ever be willing to take that large of cut. Here's to hoping, though.
I would say 8 mill is about the max I would pay him. Anything more, and he can see if he can bleed that out of another team. It's not likely.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Ware is definitely not at fault here, but it is his play that has declined, so I think he would be dumb not to take the cut. Like I said above, I doubt he can get 8 mill somewhere else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ware is definitely not at fault here, but it is his play that has declined, so I think he would be dumb not to take the cut. Like I said above, I doubt he can get 8 mill somewhere else.
Like I said before, there might be a couple of teams with really poor talent that would be willing to pay Ware to eat up a chunk of the cap. Teams like Jacksonville and Oakland aren't going to pay their current talent top dollar just to meet the cap floor, which I think has to be met over the next three years. The cap jumping ten million may have helped Dallas, but teams with all kinds of space have to spend because of it as well.

I am no cap nerd, but that's just my guess. Ware won't be destitute, if that's what you mean. He has leverage. Far more than we do if we are asking him to take a pay cut now.

That means we want the money right now, even though we are flush to the cap. They want to sign someone on the front end.

Last year, it was different with Free. We played it much better and it amazingly worked out. This one is more forcing his hand and Jones did not keep it civil by basically insulting Ware a few weeks ago.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ware is just following Costas lead.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sounds like if he takes a paycut he wants some assurances that we use that money to add pieces to the DL. Hatcher is an obvious candidate but Melton fits the scheme too perfectly, is younger and obviously has history with Marinelli, I'm also betting he's no more expensive than Hatcher and possibly cheaper.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sounds like if he takes a paycut he wants some assurances that we use that money to add pieces to the DL. Hatcher is an obvious candidate but Melton fits the scheme too perfectly, is younger and obviously has history with Marinelli, I'm also betting he's no more expensive than Hatcher and possibly cheaper.
If we free up money, I bet we go with Hatcher over Melton. Hell, Marinelli is posting XXXOOOs on his Instagram page.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I don't view him as a bad guy, and if I were him, I would actually tell the Cowboys to go F themselves and go sign on with a real team before my time runs out.

I would like to keep him simply because losing him would leave an already thin D-line even thinner, but he's also part of a group of players that have been very easy to dislike. I'm ready to move on from this awful era of Cowboys football, so if he does leave, I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Last year, it was different with Free. We played it much better and it amazingly worked out. This one is more forcing his hand and Jones did not keep it civil by basically insulting Ware a few weeks ago.
Which is shocking given how Jerry is with his players, especially long time players like Ware.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Which is shocking given how Jerry is with his players, especially long time players like Ware.
Not really. He could easily be feeling guilty about Hatcher's money like he did Ratliff and reward him for "past service". FML

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not really. He could easily be feeling guilty about Hatcher's money like he did Ratliff and reward him for "past service". FML
Yep. Jones has a long history of hanging on to declining players due to their past accomplishments. It shouldn't be shocking.

Top Bottom