dallen

Senior Tech
Elite LTs are pretty reliable as well

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

hstour

Brand New Member
I'm implying that we would have a better chance if we had more room to play in FA, yes. We could have Melton and Bryant this year had the cap been handled better.
And yet you blame the Cowboys for over paying their own, declining, older players. You'd rather they go out and get Henry Melton who is coming off an ACL injury? Those two statements are in-congruent.

And if you are truly interested in the numbers for a player's contract, don't get it from an article someone wrote. Go look it up yourself:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/

Click on their name and you can see the year by year details with cap and dead money implications.

Romo for example isn't getting cut this year.

But cut him before 2015 and it costs you only $3M. $19.9M dead money that is almost make up by the $17M in salary you saved. Do it in before the 2016 season and that hit goes down to $2M. Cut him before 2017 and you actually add $9M to the cap. $5M dead - $14M salary savings = -$9M from the committed cap money.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And yet you blame the Cowboys for over paying their own, declining, older players. You'd rather they go out and get Henry Melton who is coming off an ACL injury? Those two statements are in-congruent.

And if you are truly interested in the numbers for a player's contract, don't get it from an article someone wrote. Go look it up yourself:

Click on their name and you can see the year by year details with cap and dead money implications.

But cut him before 2015 and it costs you only $3M. $19.9M dead money that is almost make up by the $17M in salary you saved. Do it in before the 2016 season and that hit goes down to $2M. Cut him before 2017 and you actually add $9M to the cap. $5M dead - $14M salary savings = -$9M from the committed cap money.
Melton is 27. Hatcher is 32. Those numbers mean something in the NFL.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Since when did the ACL injury go back to being a death sentence?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

That was a lot lot of words just to say you don't want Melton, and that you are trying to to make yourself look smart by spouting off a lot of numbers. FYI, all you did was spout off some numbers you found on the intrawebs. Same as you are accusing me of.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But cut him before 2015 and it costs you only $3M. $19.9M dead money that is almost make up by the $17M in salary you saved.
This is such a moronic way to look at things. No, it doesn't ONLY cost 3M.

Does that figure account for the fact we would no longer have a starting QB on the roster? That we would still have to scratch up the funds to pay one? So, that 19.9M added to whatever you had to pay the guy that replaced him would be... A very, VERY large chunk of your cap space.

D

Deuce

This is such a moronic way to look at things. No, it doesn't ONLY cost 3M.

Does that figure account for the fact we would no longer have a starting QB on the roster? That we would still have to scratch up the funds to pay one? So, that 19.9M added to whatever you had to pay the guy that replaced him would be... A very, VERY large chunk of your cap space.
Not if we drafted one. But that would require foresight which we know doesn't exist in VR.

Cotton

Staff member
Not if we drafted one. But that would require foresight which we know doesn't exist in VR.
Listen, we aren't in the business of developing QBs for other teams, okay?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And? So just for arguments sake, let's say we draft a QB this year to start. (Snowballs chance)

And if his cap number is say, 2M. Now we have a cost of 21.9M for our QB. Still wouldn't ONLY cost us 3M.

D

Deuce

And? So just for arguments sake, let's say we draft a QB this year to start. (Snowballs chance)

And if his cap number is say, 2M. Now we have a cost of 21.9M for our QB. Still wouldn't ONLY cost us 3M.
No. If his math is correct (and I'm not sure it is, just going by what's presented), it would cost us a total of $5M.

Cotton

Staff member
No. If his math is correct (and I'm not sure it is, just going by what's presented), it would cost us a total of $5M.
If we release Romo we still have like 20 mill in dead money, so NoDak is right. The QB position would then cost us 20 mill plus whatever we pay the new guy.

hstour

Brand New Member
Melton is 27. Hatcher is 32. Those numbers mean something in the NFL.
Yes, but the proper strategy in the NFL is to pay the first contract but to let them go on the 2nd, bigger money, one.

hstour

Brand New Member
Since when did the ACL injury go back to being a death sentence?
It's not, but it is a concern. And you have to consider that the Bears are letting him go to free agency and they know more than anyone how his rehab is going.

Cotton

Staff member
Yes, but the proper strategy in the NFL is to pay the first contract but to let them go on the 2nd, bigger money, one.
Following that logic, then we shouldn't re-sign Dez or Tyron to a second, bigger money contract.

Rev

Staff member
It's not, but it is a concern. And you have to consider that the Bears are letting him go to free agency and they know more than anyone how his rehab is going.
Injuries are a concern for every player. Unless its a yearly thing I don't really hold that against him.

hstour

Brand New Member
Injuries are a concern for every player. Unless its a yearly thing I don't really hold that against him.
And so RGIII's ACL injury shouldn't be a concern? I believe it was in Washington last year.

D

Deuce

And so RGIII's ACL injury shouldn't be a concern? I believe it was in Washington last year.
RG3 has history of multiple injuries going back to college. Much like Sean Lee, he should be treated differently than someone who's had 1 knee.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If RG3 was a normal QB who could go through progressions and run an NFL offense not built on a gimmick the ACL wouldn't have as big of an issue. In fact, I think the league catching up to the read option is the main reason for his lack of success last year, not the ACL, although that didn't help obviously.

Rev

Staff member
RG3 has history of multiple injuries going back to college. Much like Sean Lee, he should be treated differently than someone who's had 1 knee.
I guess its hard to figure out.

Top Bottom