The Restructuring Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Doing it in June does nothing additional for the team unless you're needing to sign guys in June or after.
Yep that's sunset for having the resources to sign the draft class in time for TC.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We have to clear some room for Manziels contract after his rookie one so better start now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Now, it looks like we will have a little bit of play money in FA. Too bad Stephen says they would rather fill holes in the draft and not FA.
Well..... I'm not in a huge rush to use up that space either. We need some bodies on the DL and I'm sure we will look at that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well..... I'm not in a huge rush to use up that space either. We need some bodies on the DL and I'm sure we will look at that.
Uhh, you could have just said you agreed with me.

midswat

... soon
What coach isn't going to want to work here next year knowing they have to deal with Jerry Jones and like forty bajillion dollars in dead cap space.

Cotton

Staff member
Ware is slated to count 17.5 mill against the cap next year. If we stay status quo, 17.5 mill plus Romo's 27.7 mill = 34% of next year's cap. For two players already in decline.

Just wow.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ware is slated to count 17.5 mill against the cap next year. If we stay status quo, 17.5 mill plus Romo's 27.7 mill = 34% of next year's cap. For two players already in decline.

Just wow.
And both are not particularly close to having their deals end.

My understanding is that these conversions of base salary into signing bonus "aren't so bad" if the player finishes the contract, its just that it kills you if the player has to be cut beforehand because then, oh boy, all that accelerated salary that you converted to bonus slams you.

We are at 27 million in cap hit for Romo and he has like 5 years left on the deal after this one.

Yikes.

Cotton

Staff member
And both are not particularly close to having their deals end.

My understanding is that these conversions of base salary into signing bonus "aren't so bad" if the player finishes the contract, its just that it kills you if the player has to be cut beforehand because then, oh boy, all that accelerated salary that you converted to bonus slams you.

We are at 27 million in cap hit for Romo and he has like 5 years left on the deal after this one.

Yikes.
Yep, because Romo's projected dead money is almost $42 million right now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep, because Romo's projected dead money is almost $42 million right now.
All the more reason to seriously get a young cheap backup that can play soon.

Cotton

Staff member

:picard

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:picard
:lol he's gonna go down swinging it seems

Cotton

Staff member
:lol he's gonna go down swinging it seems
It is literally all he has talked about today on Twitter. He wants so bad to be right. Too bad him being wrong keeps getting in the way.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It is literally all he has talked about today on Twitter. He wants so bad to be right. Too bad him being wrong keeps getting in the way.
Yea I saw him blabbing bout it earlier, what the hell did Jerry pay him off or something? Maybe he took him to the Oscars..

Cotton

Staff member
Yea I saw him blabbing bout it earlier, what the hell did Jerry pay him off or something? Maybe he took him to the Oscars..
I have argued with him for two days about it, but finally just got bored with it and stopped.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys likely will have to restructure Romo again next year

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2014, 8:55 PM EST

The Cowboys created $10 million in 2014 cap space by converting $12.5 million of quarterback Tony Romo’s $13.5 million base salary into a signing bonus.

The move sets the stage for another restructuring in 2015.

With Romo’s cap number already due to be $25.2 million, the restructuring adds another $2.5 million, pushing the cap number to $27.7 million.

While the cap is expected to continue to go up in larger amounts than in the first two years of the current labor deal, $27.7 million will be a lot to carry for one play. Even if the cap shoots to $140 million, Romo will count for nearly 20 percent of the entire cap.

With a $17 million salary next year, the Cowboys can easily shrink the number again. If, for example, the Cowboys convert $15 million to a signing bonus and spread it over the five remaining years of the deal, the cap number will drop to $15.7 million.

In turn, that would increase the future cap numbers to $20.6 million for 2016, $24.5 million for 2017, $25 million for 2018, and $23.5 million for 2019.

Of course, Romo will be 39 by the time 2019 rolls around. At some point before then, Romo likely will call it quits (voluntarily or otherwise), and the Cowboys will assume a cap charge for any remaining bonus money that was kicked down the road this year and, inevitably, next year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm sure Jerry sees Brady and Manning playing well in their upper 30's and has justified spending the money on Romo thinking hes got 5-6 years left.

Dipshit.

:lol

Cotton

Staff member
$20.6 million for 2016, $24.5 million for 2017, $25 million for 2018, and $23.5 million for 2019

Can't be posted enough.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
$20.6 million for 2016, $24.5 million for 2017, $25 million for 2018, and $23.5 million for 2019

Can't be posted enough.
That's why we will need to get a young cheap QB soon. That can't be posted enough either.

Top Bottom