Raiders at Cowboys | Thanksgiving/Week 14 Gameday Chatter Thread | 11/28/13

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the Skins would be giving up the 2nd pick in the draft if the season were to end today.

data

Forbes #1
Pop Quiz - Out of all the December/January losses (2007 and on) that the Cowboys have suffered, how many of them has Romo thrown a 4th quarter interception or lost fumble?
Unintentional suspense - Had to step out. In any case, I was shocked by this number because I thought it'd be much higher. The answer:

11 losses...3 INT, 1 fumble
-------------
2007 - Week 15 vs Philadelphia - 1 INT, 8th play - 2nd 18
2007 - Week 17 vs at Washington - Didn't Play (Rested)
2008 - Week 14 at Pittsburgh - 1 INT, 2nd play - 2nd 8
2008 - Week 16 vs Baltimore - None
2008 - Week 17 at Philadelphia - None
2009 - Week 13 at NY Giants - None
2009 - Week 14 vs San Diego - None
2010 - Injured
2011 - Week 13 at Arizona - None
2011 - Week 14 vs NY Giants - None
2011 - Week 16 vs Philadelphia - Injured/Rested
2011 - Week 17 at NY Giants - 1 Fumble, 7th play - 3rd 6
2012 - Week 16 vs New Orleans - None
2012 - Week 17 at Washington - 1 INT, 2nd play - 1st 10

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's funny because just like almost everything else with Romo you can cut it both ways.

On the one hand, he's only effed up in crunch time at the end of the year in losses 4 times.

Then again, that's only 11 quarters, which if we are generous is roughly 3 games worth of time, so 4 turnovers in 3 games is not good at all.

Then again (again), this data is incomplete because to get the full picture you'd have to know his performance in December/January victories as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As I watched games yesterday I felt better about our chances. I definitely think Sea/NO is a cut above the rest of the NFC, but we are right there with everyone else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
lol... Redskins got jobbed by the refs. :laff
Yeah, but it didn't matter as they lost possession, didn't run out of downs.

But overall, they have a gripe. That mistake was inexcusable.

I said it earlier, the officiating overall in the league is getting worse and worse with every passing week. The calls are getting more ticky tack and even the obvious WTF mistakes are being made more and more often.

The integrity of practically every game is being affected by these mistakes.

D

Deuce

I missed the end of the game. What was this horrible ref mistake?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I missed the end of the game. What was this horrible ref mistake?
It was really weird. I think one ref said it was a first down, so the sticks got moved, so it seemed like it was first down. The Skins ran a play like it was first down. In all actuality it was 3rd and 1 so the play left them at 4th down. I can't remember the details, but it was a really weird sequence.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but it didn't matter as they lost possession, didn't run out of downs.

But overall, they have a gripe. That mistake was inexcusable.

I said it earlier, the officiating overall in the league is getting worse and worse with every passing week. The calls are getting more ticky tack and even the obvious WTF mistakes are being made more and more often.

The integrity of practically every game is being affected by these mistakes.
I agree, I don't know if it's just a matter of me getting older, gaining more knowledge about football or what but over the past 6 or 7 years it just seems to me like the officiating is getting worse every year. It's like the Federal government, nothing is ever repealed, just more and more red tape is piled up on top of the existing red tape, and what makes it worse is that so much of it is left up to interpretation.

Like I said, I don't know if it's just because I didn't pay as much attention when I was younger but these guys are becoming complete jokes. The worst part of it is that the league basically buries their head and ignores it, possibly because POS Goodell comes from a PR background and likes the fact that the NFL acts like it is beyond reproach, and the media and Joe Fan just goes along with it for the most part.

data

Forbes #1
It's funny because just like almost everything else with Romo you can cut it both ways.

On the one hand, he's only effed up in crunch time at the end of the year in losses 4 times.

Then again, that's only 11 quarters, which if we are generous is roughly 3 games worth of time, so 4 turnovers in 3 games is not good at all.

Then again (again), this data is incomplete because to get the full picture you'd have to know his performance in December/January victories as well.
Correct. But for Romo getting the rep of choking when it counts the most, i thought Romo's Q4 performances in December losses would've been worse. Cuz if you were to name a month where Romo 'chokes', I'd say December.

But this tabulation excludes the all time horrible Romo performances like the Bears MNF disaster, 24-point lead Lions loss, Jets SNF season opener. However, all QBs have their multiple-turnover games throughout the course of the season - not just Romo.

Anyway, food for thought.

data

Forbes #1
I agree, I don't know if it's just a matter of me getting older, gaining more knowledge about football or what but over the past 6 or 7 years it just seems to me like the officiating is getting worse every year. It's like the Federal government, nothing is ever repealed, just more and more red tape is piled up on top of the existing red tape, and what makes it worse is that so much of it is left up to interpretation.

Like I said, I don't know if it's just because I didn't pay as much attention when I was younger but these guys are becoming complete jokes. The worst part of it is that the league basically buries their head and ignores it, possibly because POS Goodell comes from a PR background and likes the fact that the NFL acts like it is beyond reproach, and the media and Joe Fan just goes along with it for the most part.
I don't know what a catch these days is anymore. I don't know what's a legal hit, either.

And it it feels like playing defense on 1st and 2nd down is pointless because a 1st will be awarded via penalty, anyway. 3rd and 20? Don't matter - five yard defensive holding, 1st down.

kidd

DCC 4Life
If you want the truth, people still cling to the bobbled snap against Seattle. Just like Montana's reputation was built on "The Catch."

What's funny is there were other things that contributed to that loss: Terry Glenn fumbling on his own 1-yrd line comes to mind. For whatecer reason, our offense was playing too conservative against a secondary that had the likes of Pete Hunter who was selling insurance a week earlier. Witten got a bad spot which had which set up the 4th & 1 FG in the first place. Even after Seattle took over after the bobbled snap, our defense allowed Sean Alexander to run all over the the place. Had we kicked the FG, who's to say that it would have won the game?

Had that never happened, I doubt people would hang the December Choker tag on Romo.

But then again, I'm a Romo Homer so I could be looking at it totally wrong.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

A lot of it comes from the top. Dean Blandino, who is the NFL Director of Officiating hasn't even been on the field as a member of a NFL crew to my knowledge. He was more of the instant replay guru and most of his background comes from that. Previous guys in his capacity I think at least were on the field and know the issues that go along with it. Losing guys like Markbrieht and Seeman has hurt of the last decade for sure.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A lot of it comes from the top. Dean Blandino, who is the NFL Director of Officiating hasn't even been on the field as a member of a NFL crew to my knowledge. He was more of the instant replay guru and most of his background comes from that. Previous guys in his capacity I think at least were on the field and know the issues that go along with it. Losing guys like Markbrieht and Seeman has hurt of the last decade for sure.
The changes to the rules definitely seem way more theoretical than practical, like some dude sitting up in his ivory tower is just making up bullshit that would work perfectly in theory but not in reality.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Even after Seattle took over after the bobbled snap, our defense allowed Sean Alexander to run all over the the place. Had we kicked the FG, who's to say that it would have won the game?
To be fair, at that point they were probably like "Ahh fuck it."

Romo catches more heat than he deserves, but I also think he gets more praise than he deserves. He's Matt Ryan with gaudy numbers. Win something and he's a hero... Until then though, he is what he is.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Romo catches more heat than he deserves, but I also think he gets more praise than he deserves. He's Matt Ryan with gaudy numbers. Win something and he's a hero... Until then though, he is what he is.
Yea but up until this year alot of people would have told you that Matt Ryan was a top 5 or so QB, that's the difference.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Correct. But for Romo getting the rep of choking when it counts the most, i thought Romo's Q4 performances in December losses would've been worse. Cuz if you were to name a month where Romo 'chokes', I'd say December.
Not sure if only looking at Q4 is the best measure. Sometimes it may be late game choking, but other times he's just off in those big games early on too whether it's ints, fumbles or just missing throws.

kidd

DCC 4Life

I can agree with that.

I say all the time that Romo is the ultimate example of a QB who gets too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

As for your point about the D giving up, why would a BP coached D do that?

Top Bottom