Watkins: Bryant doesn't care about targets

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bryant doesn't care about targets

November, 27, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dez Bryant doesn't care about how many targets he gets in a game.

He cares about production. If it takes one catch, two catches or even three catches that's fine with him because he also knows someone else, Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams and now Miles Austin is making plays in the receiving game.

If those men can't do it, then tight end Jason Witten, a forgotten man around here at times, is also available to make plays.

In Sunday's game against the New York Giants, quarterback Tony Romo targeted Bryant 16 times and he made nine catches for an adjusted 86 yards with no touchdowns. The touchdowns went to Witten, who had two, and safety Jeff Heath, who returned a fumble for a score.

"It felt good," Bryant said. "We can’t make this about the targets. We did win that game as a team. It's not all about me, not to be rude."

Bryant was set up at different spots along the line of scrimmage to minimize double teams, and while he does get tight coverage, the Giants game was one of his better games in a while.

Bryant had 10 catches for 180 yards with two touchdowns in the three games before the Giants contest. The number of targets Bryant was seeing was a heavy discussion in and outside of Valley Ranch.

The Cowboys had to do something because one of their best weapons was getting shut down, not so much by the defenses but their own inability to put him in position to make plays.

"It helped out a lot just being in more than one position," Bryant said of the Giants game. "Coaches did a great job, my teammates did a great job. We all did a great job transitioning over to that."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Couldn't ask for a better team guy and people still get on his ass.
Yep. He is exactly what you would want in a star player as far as attitude goes.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Couldn't ask for a better team guy and people still get on his ass.
Because he's supposed to be elite, and he just isn't.

He drops too many passes, has trouble holding on to the ball, and makes me wonder if he did permanent damage to his finger last year.

His production right now, is great, not elite.

Production is similar to Roddy White in his prime, but with more TDs.

I expect more than Roddy White from a guy that's hyped to be a generational athlete.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I love Bryant. He has proven the naysayers wrong with a great attitude and staying out of trouble.

I don't care about this theoretical hype thy didn't one from him.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't care about this theoretical hype that didn't come from him.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
When you say naysayers, are just referring to yourself again?
I include myself in this equation for sure.

He's still dumb but I love him. He's done just about everything that you could ask for. I expect him to do some boneheaded things on occasion but he seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. He seems like a guy who craves leadership and I can respect that.

Top Bottom