Jay Ratliff signs with Bears

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Does he still get his guaranteed money if he signs another contract? I thought the previous contract would be null if he signs a new one. I could be remembering wrong.
The guaranteed money is generally in the form of a signing bonus, meaning he already got it. It's just that for cap purposes it gets spread out over the life of the contract. He does not have to give that money back under the rules, generally.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The guaranteed money is generally in the form of a signing bonus, meaning he already got it. It's just that for cap purposes it gets spread out over the life of the contract. He does not have to give that money back under the rules, generally.
I realize that, but we don't owe him any more money, though, once he signs that contract, right?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I realize that, but we don't owe him any more money, though, once he signs that contract, right?
I would say we don't owe him any more money once we cut him. Whether he signs another contract or not, doesn't matter. The salary is not guaranteed ever. If you aren't on the roster, you don't collect the salary.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say we don't owe him any more money once we cut him. Whether he signs another contract or not, doesn't matter. The salary is not guaranteed ever. If you aren't on the roster, you don't collect the salary.
With veterans their salary is guaranteed for the season though, but I believe if they sign with another team the original team is no longer on the hook for the money. Not sure if that applies here since Ratliff was never on our active roster.

Cotton

Staff member
With veterans their salary is guaranteed for the season though, but I believe if they sign with another team the original team is no longer on the hook for the money. Not sure if that applies here since Ratliff was never on our active roster.
Correct.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Shit, I forgot about that. You are right. Yeah, I don't know if that applies to Ratliff either given his scenario.

Cotton

Staff member

Don't teams make players pass a physical before signing them? How could he pass a physical if he is still two weeks from being able to play?

D

Deuce

Don't teams make players pass a physical before signing them? How could he pass a physical if he is still two weeks from being able to play?
Probably healthy but not in game shape.

Cotton

Staff member
Probably healthy but not in game shape.
We have had players like Brown Smoothie come in and start after being out of the game for months, and they started right away. Maybe I'm just looking for more reasons to hate this tool.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would love Jerry if he just said fuck him.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Ok, I think I'm going to start working on a new DCC banner... or at least switch out Ratliff for Lee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ok, I think I'm going to start working on a new DCC banner... or at least switch out Ratliff for Lee.
Thanks PT.

If anyone else wants to give it a crack, please do.

We need that asshole off the banner.

D

Deuce

If you have time, can you put one together with Manziel in the middle as well? I just want to get a jump start on next season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:mj

jester

Brand New Member
Lee deserves to be on the masthead of this forum.

Put Ware in the middle and have an inverse Oreo.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If you have time, can you put one together with Manziel in the middle as well? I just want to get a jump start on next season.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom