Cowboys grab running back in fifth round, draft Joseph Randle from Oklahoma State

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys grab running back in fifth round, draft Joseph Randle from Oklahoma State

The Dallas Cowboys, in need of a backup running back, drafted Joseph Randle from Oklahoma State with the 18th pick of the fifth round, two picks ahead of the Atlanta Falcons' selection of TCU defensive end Stansly Maponga.

Randle is the running back ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper targeted in the last couple of weeks as "the back late in the draft that could be this year's Alfred Morris." Morris was taken in the sixth round last year by the Washington Redskins and wound up second in the NFL in rushing with more than 1,600 yards.

Randle is the third recent Cowboys to Cowboys player acquired by Dallas, joining wide receiver Dez Bryant and kicker Dan Bailey as Oklahoma State alums on the roster.

He projects to compete as a backup to DeMarco Murray, and maybe more, given Murray's injury history. Murray is a former Oklahoma Sooners standout, so he and Randle will have to talk their way through that rivalry.

The Star-Telegram's Jimmy Burch, tracking the draft on Twitter: "#Cowboys score real value w #OkState RB Joseph Randle as their 5th round pick. Great value at that point in draft. Versatile, talented RB".

-- Vince Langford
----------

Someone just needs to shoot Kiper. He's done.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is a good pick. He has speed and strength as well as good hands.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'm starting to warm to this draft. We are definitely drafting for need and hitting all the spots you'd like to save DT (which apparently isn't a need per Jerry). I'd love more O-line help, but there are some free agents we could get that could help out.

Top Bottom