Dallas Interested In Peppers

D

Deuce

He's got less in the tank than Ware, but I'd still take him. He'll be somewhat productive and not force our hand at DE in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's got less in the tank than Ware, but I'd still take him. He'll be somewhat productive and not force our hand at DE in the draft.
He wouldn't be nearly as expensive as Ware and would be more likely to fit into a heavy rotation here in Dallas. I'd be in full support of the move. Plus he played better then Ware last season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Per Todd Archer.
Agent BS.

Every 4-3 GM with a pulse is "interested" in Peppers. Peppers and his agent need to understand that at this point in his career he must be part of a rotation and be paid accordingly

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is literally almost nothing we can do to keep the DL from being a patchwork this year.

You think that trotting out Selvie-Rookie-Melton-Peppers as your starting DL is a quality unit?

Too many question marks or veterans trying to fit into new situations. You add Peppers to a stable environment and he's a rejuvenated stud (like, if we had added him to our existing DL last year, perhaps, with Ware and Hatcher already on it, or if you were to put him in New England). You put him with three new starters on the line and I suspect it will be disjointed.

That's not to say I don't support signing him. You need some decent bodies there.

But it feels like released veteran soup.... never really works out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But it feels like released veteran soup.... never really works out.
You should tell the Bronco's that with their signing of Ware...

I'd put Peppers and Ware into a very similar category. Signing Peppers and Melton would essentially keep our starting D-line on par with last year except with better depth and Peppers is a much better run defender. If you want a stud new starter on the D-line you're going to have to find it in the draft. That's what the draft is for though. Building your team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You should tell the Bronco's that with their signing of Ware...

I'd put Peppers and Ware into a very similar category. Signing Peppers and Melton would essentially keep our starting D-line on par with last year except with better depth and Peppers is a much better run defender. If you want a stud new starter on the D-line you're going to have to find it in the draft. That's what the draft is for though. Building your team.
Well thats mostly my point. This DL is a mess. Adding Peppers and Melton will help, but doesn't get us to where we want to be. This is a multi-year DL rebuild, just like the OL.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
more evidence of Archer's "youth movement" theory

D

Deuce

You think that trotting out Selvie-Rookie-Melton-Peppers as your starting DL is a quality unit?
I think there can be good scenarios.

I think trotting out Peppers-McClain/Sutton(r) rotation-Melton-Jeffcoat(r) would be a hell of a nice start on rebuilding the DL.

And look, I didn't even spend a 1st round pick doing it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I think trotting out Peppers-McClain/Sutton(r) rotation-Melton-Jeffcoat(r) would be a hell of a nice start on rebuilding the DL.

How about Crichton instead?

And we can spend the first on Martin or Lewan. :art

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's exactly correct. The only way this D-line was going to be dramatically improved in this offseason would from an infusion of talent through the draft. Pepper's would just be another step in making sure we have starting talent up front. Dramatic improvements almost always come from the draft unless you're handing out a 80 mil contract to someone in free agency.

Fact is we were paper thin on the D-line last year and had zero rotation. This lead to a number of guys being worn out by the end of the season. Mainly Hatcher and Selvie who both started the season looking great. The only way to change that is to add a number of vets like Peppers and Mincey and then also add guys in the draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we go into the season with Peppers, Selvie and Mincey at DE, Melton, McClain at DT, Crawford as a DE/DT and two highly drafted rookies, I couldn't really complain about that.

I'd even be ok if we got Wootton instead of Peppers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
4.8 forty, 6.5 sacks this past season. I'm just sort of meh on the guy.

Throw in HaHa Clinton-Dix or Pryor in the first with Sutton and Jeffcoat and I am in. With Peppers, Mincey and McClain in free agency I would say our defense is getting much closer to being fully rebuilt. At worst we would have an extremely deep D-line and some talent in the secondary.

Cyrus Kouandjio later in the draft looks like a perfect fit for Dallas. He has serious injury concerns, was a top prospect out of highschool and if he can clear the health has the ability to be a legit NFL starter.

D

Deuce

And we can spend the first on Martin or Lewan. :art
I'm fine with either OT in the first along with Clinton-Dix.

No thanks on Crichton. Don't hate the player, but I love Sutton more and I think Jeffcoat is on his level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm fine with either OT in the first along with Clinton-Dix.

No thanks on Crichton. Don't hate the player, but I love Sutton more and I think Jeffcoat is on his level.
I'm not as high on Lewan as most. I saw plenty of Michigan and the guy got beat a decent amount. I think on paper he looks much better then he actually is on the field.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like the late first and second round safety crop more than the earlier guys.

If we want a safety, better be after a substantial trade down.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Call me unimpressed, unless its a simple situational pass-rush position.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd prefer Wootton. You can't rebuild a line by adding players that will need to be replaced in a couple of years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd prefer Wootton. You can't rebuild a line by adding players that will need to be replaced in a couple of years.
Sure you can. Guys like Peppers buy you time so that you don't have to try and rebuild an entire line through the draft. Wootton isn't any sort of a long term solution at DE either regardless of his age.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well thats mostly my point. This DL is a mess. Adding Peppers and Melton will help, but doesn't get us to where we want to be. This is a multi-year DL rebuild, just like the OL.
All it takes is one young stud to make a huge difference. The DL can be a quality unit as long as you have competent starters everywhere else who aren't in their 30's. In that framework, Peppers fits as a rotational piece who plays mostly on passing downs. I also think Crawford comes back given time, but only as a rotational piece on the strong side.

Even still, 1 rookie (RaShede Hageman or Aaron Donald) and 3 free agents (Melton, McClain, Mincey) with the average age plummeting already is a massive change from last year. Selvie, Crawford, Bass, and Hayden are young enough where there are fewer downs with players taking plays off. It lacks a true pass rusher, though the combination of Melton/Donald essentially becomes that guy by scheme.

2 rookies (Kony Ealy, Will Sutton) and 4 free agents (Melton, Peppers, McClain, Mincey) essentially rebuilds the whole thing for years to come. You have instant/future inside pass rush (Melton/Sutton), outside pass rush (Peppers/Ealy), and LDE play (Mincey/Crawford) with Selvie and Bass/Hayden as rotational guys.

It would be hard to get both Melton and Peppers for Dallas, but one of them should be do-able. If Dallas can't get Melton, then the priority shifts to Aaron Donald in 2014 and future RDE in 2015.

Top Bottom