Cowboys in talks with Winston

Jiggyfly

Banned
No excuse I just effed that one up royally.

If Carp had not said anything I probably would have not noticed for awhile.:lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
Rappaport reported today that the Cowboys are now trying to get Free to take a pay cut to free up money to sign Winston.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If they already have Tyron Smith, they sign Winston, and they like Parnell as a backup, why would they want to keep Free at all? Especially given the potential cap savings by cutting him. It makes no sense to me.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't know, does seem fishy...it could be bullshit for all I know.

D

Deuce

Rappaport reported today that the Cowboys are now trying to get Free to take a pay cut to free up money to sign Winston.
lawl

That's even a little too far fetched for Jerry...right?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is probably take a pay cut or else join Winston in the unemployment line. If so...good move.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Huh? Make him take a pay cut by cutting his ass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they already have Tyron Smith, they sign Winston, and they like Parnell as a backup, why would they want to keep Free at all? Especially given the potential cap savings by cutting him. It makes no sense to me.
Remember when Jerry mentioned that he thinks Free can play guard? My guess is that is what Jerry is looking at doing. Not saying I like Free at guard but that is my guess if we are planning to have both guys on the roster. Then we have more POSITION FLEXIBILITY on the O-line which Jerry loves.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Remember when Jerry mentioned that he thinks Free can play guard? My guess is that is what Jerry is looking at doing. Not saying I like Free at guard but that is my guess if we are planning to have both guys on the roster. Then we have more POSITION FLEXIBILITY on the O-line which Jerry loves.
And no need to draft a guard.

:picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And no need to draft a guard.

:picard
Now you are thinking like Jerry. I think it is far from a slam dunk that we draft an O-lineman high in the draft. I think if we do draft an O-lineman it will be a backup center/guard combo.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He can't play guard. Too tall and not nearly strong enough. I would hope this is not part of the thought process.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Then we have more POSITION FLEXIBILITY on the O-line which Jerry loves.
Jerry's obsession with "flexibility" on the OL is maddening. He seems to value flexibility–his perception of a player's flexibility, that is–over talent. It's like he builds this perceived flexibility into a player's value and elevates them above better players. I don't give a shit if a guy supposedly has the ability to play multiple positions on the OL if he's not really any good at any of them. It's fine to take that approach when searching for true backups that are taken in the 7th round or signed as UDFA but that's about it, IMO.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Who currently offers flexibility though? We seem to want it, but it never materializes. Max Unger was our last hope for that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So is Werder now.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 1h
Sounding like Seahawks were most impressed with Brady Quinn at yesterday's 4-QB tryout and will pursue signing to be Russell Wilson's backup

Top Bottom