2014 Hall of Fame

Carl

RIP Brother
Any guesses who gets in? Seems like a weak group of finalists to me.

I would say that D. Brooks and W. Jones are locks. I would add W. Shields to that list; so that leaves two.

My guess is that J. Bettis and M. Strahan get in; though if it were up to me, I would like to see Tim Brown get in ahead of Strahan.

D

Deuce

Brooks, Jones, Marvin Harrison, Tony Dungy, some relic.

Gap Toof waits a year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you guys think New York media darling Strahan gets shut out, you will be disappointed.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think the gift sack gets down played too. It was a big deal when it happened, but how many times have we seen Romo do the same damn thing lately? I think they will be able to pretend it was just Favre protecting himself enough to get him in. Besides, he is enough of a media guy now that they will all vote in their buddy

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If you guys think New York media darling Strahan gets shut out, you will be disappointed.
Warren Sapp came out the other day and said Gap Toof doesn't belong in the HOF.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am aware of that.

And a lot of people have come out and blasted Sapp back.

D

Deuce

No he didn't. He said his résumé didn't prove he belonged in this year with so many spots being taken by other first timers who deserve it more.

He said he is without a doubt a HoFer.

data

Forbes #1
I'll be pissed if Jerome Bettis makes it. His commercial persona and that he's a Steeler is what is getting consideration, because he's only had 4 seasons over 1400 total yards from scrimmage (rushing & receiving combined).

Hell, the following RBs had several seasons over 1,400 total yards:
Ricky Watters - 8 seasons
Tiki Barber - 7
Eddie George - 6
Edgerrin James - 6
Ahman Green - 6
Clinton Portis - 6
Chris Johnson - 6
Shaun Alexander - 5
Fred Taylor - 5
Corey Dillon - 5
Ottis Anderson - 5
Ricky Williams - 4
Jamal Lewis - 4
Stephen Davis - 4
Terrell Davis - 4
Charlie Garner - 4
Ray Rice - 4

What distinguishes Bettis from the aforementioned pack?

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
No he didn't. He said his résumé didn't prove he belonged in this year with so many spots being taken by other first timers who deserve it more.

He said he is without a doubt a HoFer.
"When you stack it up and he only has four straight Pro Bowls and a mythical sack record that y'all still walk around like it's something to be praised -- I mean y'all have got to get off your high horse in New York and speak about the real. And when you really measure him up, he comes up short," said Sapp, who was inducted in 2013. "I thought you got into the Hall because your resume stacked up with the echoes of the game, not just the good, the great. And four straight Pro Bowls [is good], but it ain't great."

I haven't seen anything from Sapp saying Gap Toof is without a doubt a HOFer. Unless it was some backpeddling that I didn't see.

Cotton

Staff member
Matter of fact, I googled it, and I can't find where Sapp said even once that Strahan even belongs in the HOF at all.

D

Deuce

"When you stack it up and he only has four straight Pro Bowls and a mythical sack record that y'all still walk around like it's something to be praised -- I mean y'all have got to get off your high horse in New York and speak about the real. And when you really measure him up, he comes up short," said Sapp, who was inducted in 2013. "I thought you got into the Hall because your resume stacked up with the echoes of the game, not just the good, the great. And four straight Pro Bowls [is good], but it ain't great."

I haven't seen anything from Sapp saying Gap Toof is without a doubt a HOFer. Unless it was some backpeddling that I didn't see.
He was on Rome the day after where he made the comment explaining the context. That's also where he responded to Strahan's comment and basically told him they can fight if he wants to.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I feel like the only thing getting Dungy in is he was the first black HC to win a Super Bowl. He could never assemble a legit offense in TB, and he piggybacked on Peyton Mainning in Indy.

Winning a Super Bowl puts him in the HOF conversation, but he's a marginal candidate at best. Certainly not worthy of getting in ahead of, say, Jimmy Johnson or Mike Holmgren.

Being the first black super bowl winning HC isn't really part of his resume. It's part of the "league resume.". It's notable, but there are other ways to celebrate that fact in the hall w/o shoehorning Dungy in individually.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'll be pissed if Jerome Bettis makes it. His commercial persona and that he's a Steeler is what is getting consideration, because he's only had 4 seasons over 1400 total yards from scrimmage (rushing & receiving combined).

Tiki Barber - 7
Eddie George - 6
Edgerrin James - 6
Ahman Green - 6
Clinton Portis - 6
Chris Johnson - 6
Shaun Alexander - 5
Fred Taylor - 5
Corey Dillon - 5
Ottis Anderson - 5
Ricky Williams - 4
Jamal Lewis - 4
Stephen Davis - 4
Terrell Davis - 4
Charlie Garner - 4
Ray Rice - 4

Agreed. Bettis is overrated.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Tiki Barber - 7
Eddie George - 6
Edgerrin James - 6
Ahman Green - 6
Clinton Portis - 6
Chris Johnson - 6
Shaun Alexander - 5
Fred Taylor - 5
Corey Dillon - 5
Ottis Anderson - 5
Ricky Williams - 4
Jamal Lewis - 4
Stephen Davis - 4
Terrell Davis - 4
Charlie Garner - 4
Ray Rice - 4

More public exposure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Steeler.

Catchy nickname.

Get with the program.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with Sapp...as much as I dislike Strahan, he is a HOF.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't agree with Sapp...as much as I dislike Strahan, he is a HOF.
Too Tall Jones was just as good as Gap Toof.

So was Harvey Martin.

But neither guy replaced Regis...so....

Carp

DCC 4Life
5th alltime in sacks...if Doleman can get in, so can Strahan.

Top Bottom