Archer: Cowboys Twitter mailbag, part 1

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys Twitter mailbag, part 1
January, 24, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Today we offer up the first Twitter mailbag, touching on the a number of subjects, like who will the Dallas Cowboys sign next, trading down, taking an offensive lineman early and the future of DeMarcus Ware.

We'll offer up Part 2 on Saturday.

I hope you enjoy it and if you have questions, hit me up on Twitter (@toddarcher) with the #cowboysmail hashtag.

Away we go:

roderickdouthit
@roderickdouthit
@toddarcher now that we signed Bailey, who's next on the list? #Cowboysmail
Jan. 23, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

@toddarcher: I think you'll see the Cowboys sit back for now. They need to make some moves just to get under the salary cap by March. I don't see how Jason Hatcher returns. I think he'll get a bigger and better offer from another team. I'd say there is a 10 percent chance he could be back. Of the young, core players, I think Dez Bryant would be next. He is a free agent after the 2014 season though the Cowboys could always put the franchise tag on him. They don't have to rush a deal for Bryant, so I'm not sure this is such a sure thing. And the Cowboys have control over Tyron Smith through 2015 but they could look to get a deal done with him before it gets to that point.

Jake Birrell
@NotJakeBirrell
@toddarcher would trading down from the first be wise? I think so, seems like a deep draft on defense #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: Trading down makes sense if you have a number of players you like available when you are picking. If the Cowboys did not get Travis Frederick last year, then they would have been wiped out of offensive lineman they felt were ready to play right away. It's a gamble. I believe trading down makes sense when you have many needs. It just makes sense, right: Two for one is usually better. Now, I can use Tyron Smith as a possible example where passing on a trade-down made sense. The Cowboys have eight picks in the upcoming draft (maybe more if they get a compensatory pick) but I would do what I can to acquire more selections.

mghawk1
@mghawk1
@toddarcher can Mo Claiborne add weight and play safety? #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: Sorry, Greg, can't see this happening at all. A big part of a safety's game is being physical. There has not been anything in Morris Claiborne's game through two seasons that would suggest he would be physical enough to handle the position. I would say the same for Brandon Carr, too. The Cowboys desperately need Claiborne to be a shutdown corner worthy of the sixth pick in the draft.

Shaine satoshige
@shaine_69
@toddarcher why did Carter struggle while Wilber seemed to progress? Difference between strong/weak LB? Can Lee play weak? #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: If you or I had the answer to the first question, then Jerry Jones would pay us a lot of money. Bruce Carter has the athletic skills to be a top-flight, weak-side linebacker in this scheme, but how much does it matter to him? I know several people over at Valley Ranch question that. The differences in weak and strong have to do mostly with play at the point of attack. The strong-side backer has to be good against the run. Kyle Wilber really developed there when he moved to linebacker. The weak-side backer has to be able to run and cover. As for Sean Lee, you keep him at middle linebacker where he could be one of the best in the game if he stayed healthy.

GrooveSDC
@GrooveSDC
Our o-line improved but we can still upgrade our OG and RT spots. What's the chance we take a OG or OT high? @toddarcher #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: You never pass up talent. I'm not always in lock-step with taking the best player available but you lessen the possibility of a mistake by going that route. I think the Cowboys are OK at right tackle with Doug Free. He's still a relatively young player, though he's signed only through 2014. As much as they like what Ronald Leary and Mackenzy Bernadeau did at guard last year, you can always improve there. The last two first-round picks the Cowboys have used on offensive linemen have worked out pretty well. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but this team desperately needs help on defense.

Gerardo Torres
@Gerardo_ESPN
#cowboysmail All coaches basically intact for 2014. Any consequence for having such a bad year defensively? Something HAS to change, right?

@toddarcher: To me one of the most interesting things Jason Garrett said at the Senior Bowl is that the roles on the coaching staff are still up for debate. That tells me there could be changes around the corner. I wrote last week that the time element of when they make a move does not matter much because the defensive switch would likely come in-house from Monte Kiffin to either Rod Marinelli or Matt Eberflus. And it's possible Garrett could call plays again in 2014, which would mitigate some of the time element there too.

CalebCanada
@CalebCanada
Assuming we don't adjust wares contract what would it cost to release after next season? #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: I don't see how Ware counts $16.003 million against the cap and remains on this team in 2014. If they cut him this year, then they would save $7.4 million against the cap. If they restructure him this year and cut him before the 2005 season, then they could save $6.5 million (roughly). But you also have to consider this: Who replaces him? They don't have a guy on the roster to do it. Maybe I'm putting too much on faith, but I think a healthy Ware still can contribute a lot.

Top Bottom