Watkins: Garrett says team still supports Josh Brent

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I fail to see this huge difference. It is negligence resulting from poor decisions being made. In both scenarios, it could easily be avoided by making the right decision. Both actions in and of themselves, are not illegal. Drinking and texting. But doing them while driving, makes both actions coupled together illegal. At least here in ND, texting while driving is illegal. I don't know about other states.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We will just to agree to disagree then, because in my mind there is a massive gap between drinking way too much before you get behind a wheel and being distracted while driving sober. Now, I will grant you that texting while driving is immensely stupid, but the two are different to me.

data

Forbes #1
By the way, sounds like pit bull owners should be going to jail for years then, too.

Cotton

Staff member
Iamtdg is racist. If bad driving is a crime, A whole shitload of Asians are going to jail.
Does laughing at this me make more racist?

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regardless, there is a huge difference between being distracted while driving and killing someone and drinking and driving and killing someone. CRock was trying to make out like they should be on the same level, and they are absolutely not.
I didn't make out like they are on the same level at all. Your exact words were "5 years seems pretty damn appropriate. He killed someone. Accidentally or not."

I didn't make the blanket statement that if someone dies another person should serve 5 years even if it is an accident. But in my personal opinion if someone didn't have the mens rea to commit murder then there is no point in punishing that person as though they committed murder. Do you think a 5 year sentence is going to deter anyone from drunk driving? It won't. No one drives drunk thinking they are going to kill someone. Or do you want him to serve a 5 year sentence as some sort of retribution? Retribution has no place in criminal law.

Cotton

Staff member
I didn't make out like they are on the same level at all. Your exact words were "5 years seems pretty damn appropriate. He killed someone. Accidentally or not."

I didn't make the blanket statement that if someone dies another person should serve 5 years even if it is an accident. But in my personal opinion if someone didn't have the mens rea to commit murder then there is no point in punishing that person as though they committed murder. Do you think a 5 year sentence is going to deter anyone from drunk driving? It won't. No one drives drunk thinking they are going to kill someone. Or do you want him to serve a 5 year sentence as some sort of retribution? Retribution has no place in criminal law.
5 years isn't punishing them like they committed murder. It's appropriate for intoxicated manslaughter, though. Remember the board being up in arms because the dumbass that killed Rant only got a minimal sentence. Yeah, me too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We will just to agree to disagree then, because in my mind there is a massive gap between drinking way too much before you get behind a wheel and being distracted while driving sober. Now, I will grant you that texting while driving is immensely stupid, but the two are different to me.
Something to think about. An alcohol impaired person is not thinking straight when they get behind the wheel. A texter (as an example) is clear headed and should be more aware they are running a risk. Which one is more negligent?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
5 years isn't punishing them like they committed murder. It's appropriate for intoxicated manslaughter, though. Remember the board being up in arms because the dumbass that killed Rant only got a minimal sentence. Yeah, me too.
Yeah and if she got life in prison that would have done what exactly? Made some people on this board feel better?

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah and if she got life in prison that would have done what exactly? Made some people on this board feel better?
Way to talk in extremes. Nobody said anything about life.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Way to talk in extremes. Nobody said anything about life.
I'm just wondering how increasing the sentence somehow increases the greater good in this world? We can all agree a stiffer penalty won't deter anything. So what is the point of increasing the penalty?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sweet, addition by probation.

:towel

Cotton

Staff member
I'm just wondering how increasing the sentence somehow increases the greater good in this world? We can all agree a stiffer penalty won't deter anything. So what is the point of increasing the penalty?
By that logic, what is the point in increasing the jail terms for any violations? Isn't a prison term and the length of it meant for deterrence by it's very nature? I mean, isn't that the point?

Top Bottom