Watkins: Garrett says team still supports Josh Brent

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Choosing to drive after knowingly consuming vast amounts of alcohol isn't purposeful?
Choosing to drive is purposeful, the killing was not. The killing was reckless.

It's like firing a gun randomly in the air at a party or something, and you accidentally hit someone. Stupid, for sure. And you were purposefully pulling the trigger.

But you weren't actually trying to kill the person.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The crime of DUI lacks the appropriate mental state to consistently lock people up for decades after causing a death.

At the end of the day, it's accidental. It may be reckless, but it's simply not purposeful.

I can't put someone in jail 20 years for that.
I do not support dui in any form but I am inclined to agree that due to not being a purposeful act is doesn't deserve excessive punishment.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I do not support dui in any form but I am inclined to agree that due to not being a purposeful act is doesn't deserve excessive punishment.
What does deserve excessive punishment? I would say nothing does. But, he deserves more than 6 months in jail.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What does deserve excessive punishment? I would say nothing does. But, he deserves more than 6 months in jail.
Usually intent is the catalyst for longer term punishment. If you had a son that was at a party and got intoxicated on something then on the way home had an accident and someone died would you support putting him away for 20 years?

Cotton

Staff member
Usually intent is the catalyst for longer term punishment. If you had a son that was at a party and got intoxicated on something then on the way home had an accident and someone died would you support putting him away for 20 years?
The word excessive is what I was keying on. Nothing deserves excessive punishment. Apropos punishment is completely different.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The word excessive is what I was keying on. Nothing deserves excessive punishment. Apropos punishment is completely different.
Appropriate is a subjective thing. It is hard for folks to agree on it. I have a view but it likely won't sit well with everyone.

Cotton

Staff member
Appropriate is a subjective thing. It is hard for folks to agree on it. I have a view but it likely won't sit well with everyone.
Excessive is subjective as well, but more widely agreed upon than appropriate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who said it had to be all or nothing. Hell, 5 years seems pretty damn appropriate. He killed someone. Accidentally or not.
Really? So you think if someone is accidentally killed by another person they should do five years?

I go home tonight and get in a car accident because I'm not paying good enough attention and someone dies, I should get 5 years? That's nonsense.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
So, do we bring this guy back onto the team? We need help at DT and he was a better than decent rotation guy...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, do we bring this guy back onto the team? We need help at DT and he was a better than decent rotation guy...
Personally I'd give him a look but I feel like a lot of people on this board will rip me a new one for that opinion. Fact is his teammates appear to still support him. We have a need and he is a good player that would come for the minimum.

Cotton

Staff member
Really? So you think if someone is accidentally killed by another person they should do five years?

I go home tonight and get in a car accident because I'm not paying good enough attention and someone dies, I should get 5 years? That's nonsense.
There is a HUGE difference between driving sober and killing someone and driving drunk and killing someone. Stupid analogy.

Cotton

Staff member
Nope. I wouldn't touch him. He is not even close to worth it.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
There is a HUGE difference between driving sober and killing someone and driving drunk and killing someone. Stupid analogy.

Really? What if said sober person is distracted because they're texting? Or on the phone? Or rubbernecking that big titty bitch that they just passed? An accident is an accident. Just because drinking and driving is illegal but texting, talking, and rubbernecking big titty bitches while driving is not (in TX anyway) doesn't make it any less tragic and it doesn't make the driver any less responsible, IMO. I'm not advocating drinking and driving (though I think .08 BAC for DUI is total bullshit) but I'm not so sure a clear line in the sand should be drawn.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Really? What if said sober person is distracted because they're texting? Or on the phone? Or rubbernecking that big titty bitch that they just passed? An accident is an accident. Just because drinking and driving is illegal but texting, talking, and rubbernecking big titty bitches while driving is not (in TX anyway) doesn't make it any less tragic and it doesn't make the driver any less responsible, IMO. I'm not advocating drinking and driving (though I think .08 BAC for DUI is total bullshit) but I'm not so sure a clear line in the sand should be drawn.
Exactly right.

Cotton

Staff member
Drinking before driving is premeditated. Texting while driving (while stupid) is not. Again, huge difference.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If he serves his punishment and can play...then sure. Not saying to count on him and not go hard after DTs in the draft, but I'd consider it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Drinking before driving is premeditated. Texting while driving (while stupid) is not. Again, huge difference.
I think you're trying too hard to prove a point that's not there. While both actions are stupid, neither should be classified as 'premeditated' towards the loss of life.

I'd be willing to bet that each and every person on this board has done stupid things in the past, that could have caused the death of another person if the right circumstances had happened. Whether it was drinking and driving, texting while driving, aggressive driving (road rage), ect... The one big difference is, we were lucky enough to not have it happen so us. I know I have been guilty of it. Saying that, I'm not trying to allude to it being ok. Just that stupid decisions are made by all of us every day, and certainly the worst-case result of what could happen is far from premeditated.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Drinking is premeditated I will give you that but it is planned partying. The death involved that can arise out of it isn't and can happen to anyone that is foolish enough to play the odds but if stupid was a crime all of us would be inmates.

Cotton

Staff member
Regardless, there is a huge difference between being distracted while driving and killing someone and drinking and driving and killing someone. CRock was trying to make out like they should be on the same level, and they are absolutely not.

Top Bottom