Watkins: Cowboys draft forecast: Five guys to watch

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

With the 18th pick of the NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys will select ...

With that, we look at five players that the Cowboys might select with their first-round pick Thursday night:

1. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina: Highly-regarded player had just two seasons of work in college. Scouts say he has a quick first step, excellent swim move and strong, active hands. Selecting Williams will become more of a reality if a safety or offensive linemen aren't available and the desire to move down decreases. He won't start right away because of the Cowboys' experience along the defensive line, but he most likely will be a starter in 2014.

2. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas: He fills a need at the position where he can play close to the line of scrimmage and in coverage. The Cowboys want defensive backs to make plays on the ball, and the Cowboys defensive coaches and scouts believe he can do this. Vaccaro covers a lot of ground because he plays fast and displays smarts to make plays.

3. D.J. Fluker, T, Alabama: In a draft heavy with guards and tackles, Fluker should be around in the teens. He's been projected to go late in the first round or possibly early in the second. He's got one of the biggest wingspans (87 1/4) of any tackle in the draft, displays good hands and has power to push defenders off the line of scrimmage.

4. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri: The Cowboys might have to choose between Williams and Richardson. Both players attended JUCOs, but it seems Richardson needs some work. He's got the measureables (6-2, 294 pounds), a quick first step and makes plays away from the line of scrimmage. But he had shoulder surgery before the 2012 season and played only one full season at Missouri.

5. Chance Warmack, G, Alabama: He's considered one of the best guards in the draft along with Jonathan Cooper. There's some doubt if Warmack will be around at No. 18, but if he falls somehow, the Cowboys need to grab him. Warmack has good foot quickness, balance and strength. He had 40 starts in the SEC, which is impressive to NFL coaches and scouts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina: Highly-regarded player had just two seasons of work in college. Scouts say he has a quick first step, excellent swim move and strong, active hands. Selecting Williams will become more of a reality if a safety or offensive linemen aren't available and the desire to move down decreases. He won't start right away because of the Cowboys' experience along the defensive line, but he most likely will be a starter in 2014.
If he doesn't start from day one as the one technique I would be surprised. AND if that is the case it would probably be only a game or two into the season before Ratliff and or Hatcher is hurt and he is starting.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If he doesn't start from day one as the one technique I would be surprised. AND if that is the case it would probably be only a game or two into the season before Ratliff and or Hatcher is hurt and he is starting.
I'd be OK with it. Addresses a critical need with a long term solution and not a reach. I would not be ecstatic though as Williams could go anywhere from 16-32, maybe even the 2nd round.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Honestly though...there are a group of players from about 10-50 that are not separated by much, so getting him at 18 is fine. You are not going to get some kind of steal at 18 because I just don't think there is a big difference in talent in this draft.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Honestly though...there are a group of players from about 10-50 that are not separated by much, so getting him at 18 is fine. You are not going to get some kind of steal at 18 because I just don't think there is a big difference in talent in this draft.
Right and Williams will be gone shortly after that if we didn't select him. He's one of the best DTs in this draft.

Top Bottom