Rumor: Eagles to trade four draft picks to Jets for Mariota

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Posted: 02/19/2015, 10:10am | Trevor Conley, Digital Editor at Sun Times Network

Rumors are floating around that the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets could potentially engage in a blockbuster draft day trade.

According to the New York Daily News, if the Eagles are willing to trade both their 2015 and 2016 first-and-second-round picks to the Jets for their No. 6 pick it would be a “win-win” for both teams. By the time the No. 6 pick rolls around and the Jets are on the clock and Mariota is still available the Jets are in a position to pull off a huge trade.

“I think if Marcus Mariota’s available, Chip will do whatever it takes to get him,” Jeff McLane, who covers the Eagles for The Philadelphia Inquirer, told Philly radio station 97.5 FM on Wednesday.

There are several variable that will play into what happens when the NFL draft kicks off in Chicago, but in all scenarios the Eagles will have to move up for the 20th pick.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
id hate this. I believe the Eagles should be giving 3 first round draft picks to move up that far. Either way, I do NOT want to see Mariota become an Eagle.

D

Deuce

id hate this. I believe the Eagles should be giving 3 first round draft picks to move up that far. Either way, I do NOT want to see Mariota become an Eagle.
I'd be all for it. While Kelly's offense can put up points, it doesn't just create open WRs all over the place like it does im college. Mariotta's lack of skills at the line will hinder them and I have questions if he'll ever get better at it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cool...means they will pass on DBs again this year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No way this happens. No damn way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why? If that is the QB Kelly thinks will put them over the top, it is worth the price.
Two firsts and two seconds. I'm not seeing it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Two firsts and two seconds. I'm not seeing it.
If I thought the guy I was giving up those picks for was a franchised QB, I'd do that without hesitation.

Really it is only giving up 1 first and 2 seconds when you factor in that you are getting a 1st back.

If we went by the old trade value chart the point differential would be 290...that chart is kind of outdated, but gives you an idea.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't really believe the offense that Kelly runs will be able to win big consistently in the long run so I wouldn't really mind this at all since all it would do is further entrench Kelly's college system as the be all, end all of what they are doing offensively.

It seems to work mostly against poor teams/defenses but they usually get stuffed by top defenses which then puts their defense in a bind since their offense can't hold on to the ball or sustain drives. I also tend to think that Kelly will bail quick if a move like this doesn't work out since he could get basically any college job he wants while being paid one of the top 5 salaries in college.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I can?t remember a sigle time a team gave up a ton of picks and it worked out for them.
So.. GO GET YOU QB EAGLES!!!!

dallen

Senior Tech
Good. Let them. It worked out so well for Washington

townsend

Banned
Last trade up I can remember panning out was the Eli Manning draft, frankly Rivers might have worked as well in New York.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
But that was not exactly a ton of picks IIRC.
Manning was traded for Phillip Rivers, a First, a Third and a Fifth. So, the equivalent of two #1s, a 3 and a 5. I agree, not a huge haul, but not a huge move up either.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Posted: 02/19/2015, 10:10am | Trevor Conley, Digital Editor at Sun Times Network

Rumors are floating around that the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets could potentially engage in a blockbuster draft day trade.

According to the New York Daily News, if the Eagles are willing to trade both their 2015 and 2016 first-and-second-round picks to the Jets for their No. 6 pick it would be a “win-win” for both teams. By the time the No. 6 pick rolls around and the Jets are on the clock and Mariota is still available the Jets are in a position to pull off a huge trade.

“I think if Marcus Mariota’s available, Chip will do whatever it takes to get him,” Jeff McLane, who covers the Eagles for The Philadelphia Inquirer, told Philly radio station 97.5 FM on Wednesday.

There are several variable that will play into what happens when the NFL draft kicks off in Chicago, but in all scenarios the Eagles will have to move up for the 20th pick.
If the Jets are smart, they'll throw in a monkey wrench on draft and up the compensation for the 6th overall pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Funny moment during the Combine coverage...

They were showing piece on Mariota and then cut to a shot of Kelly watching it on the TV screen, chewing on his own finger. There is a couple second delay, so he saw himself on the screen, then turned and ran out of camera view in a hurry.

Top Bottom