Marinelli to Bucs with Lovie Smith

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

That would be awesome.
It would be horrific. Sorry, I am not feeling the humor.

Who the eff worth a shit would want to come to Dallas to work under Garrett knowing they could be out of work in a year?

Or just as bad, say Jones hires a name DC, you know the next HC is going to have to inherit the guy who Jones is paying top dollar.

Or the absolute worst, keep Kiffin or promote a guy like Eberflus, both of whom were coaches on one of the worst defenses in NFL history.

We lose practically every way I look at it.

I am extremely down on the prospects, no matter how you look at it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Who the eff worth a shit would want to come to Dallas to work under Garrett knowing they could be out of work in a year?

Or just as bad, say Jones hires a name DC, you know the next HC is going to have to inherit the guy who Jones is paying top dollar.

Or the absolute worst, keep Kiffin or promote a guy like Eberflus, both of whom were coaches on one of the worst defenses in NFL history.

I have to side with Ed on this one and just laugh.

We're fucked, Booze.....no matter how you slice it. With this schedule and with Garrett coming back, what do you honestly think this team is going to do in 2014?

They might win 6 games and whether we hire Horton or Wannstedt won't change that.

I've lost all hope and really don't give a shit what the Cowboys do this offseason. Bringing back Garrett coupled with Jerry saying the dumb shit he's saying was the nail in the coffin.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have to side with Ed on this one and just laugh.

We're fucked, Booze.....no matter how you slice it. With this schedule and with Garrett coming back, what do you honestly think this team is going to do in 2014?

They might win 6 games and whether we hire Horton or Wannstedt won't change that.

I've lost all hope and really don't give a shit what the Cowboys do this offseason. Bringing back Garrett coupled with Jerry saying the dumb shit he's saying was the nail in the coffin.
I know we are screwed. Frankly, I am as about as depressed as I have ever been about the future.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it guys. Jerry said he is about to do some stuff to get us more wins.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I know we are screwed. Frankly, I am as about as depressed as I have ever been about the future.
That's because you can't try to spin anything no matter how hard you try.

Before, you hoped that maybe this change here and that change there would improve their chances. Nobody here was foolish enough to think we'd get to a Super Bowl with our current structure, but you kept your fingers crossed that maybe this player or coach acquisition with give us an extra boost to at least be a playoff team.

But now? You know we're completely screwed.

Romo is declining and our salary cap is a mess.

Garrett is coming back and he has shown that he isn't any different today than he was 5 years ago both as a head coach and as a coordinator. You know he's going to mismanage the clock and he's going to cost us more games when he ignores the run.

We have a defense that has been unbelievably bad in consecutive years with no real reason to expect they'll get any better.

When you add all of that up with Jerry now openly admitting that finances and things of that nature are enough to keep him happy, there is no reason whatsoever to expect this team to improve at all for next season.

What's worse for me, this happens to be the season we play the Texans, and I'm gonna have to deal with the shit when they beat us. :cry

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Until Jerry dies there is no future for this team. Just more of the same crap that anyone here can predict with damn near 100% accuracy. The Dallas Cowboys we used to know aren't coming back, for some of us maybe not in our lifetimes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What's worse for me, this happens to be the season we play the Texans, and I'm gonna have to deal with the shit when they beat us. :cry
You always make it about yourself. Piss off.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Trust me, the thought should be vomit-inducing but if it happens I won't be able to help but laugh and SMH. I kind of doubt they go that route but nothing would really shock me.

PC announcing Wannstedt as DC.

Mediot: Coach Garrett, what do you feel that the addition of Dave Wannstedt is going to do to turn this defense around?

JG:

{android press conference response algorithm initiated}

"Oh, I think Dave is an outstanding football coach. He's been involved with the game of football for a long time and has a tremendous amount of success at different levels and in different roles." Ad nauseam.

Actually, you're probably right. That's about the point the sick feeling in my stomach would probably overtake the initial yuks. It would be a total

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys would have to OK Marinelli move

January, 2, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – With Lovie Smith set to become the next head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to reports, it is only natural to see Rod Marinelli linked to the former Chicago Bears head coach.

Marinelli spent four years on Smith’s staff with the Bears and was the coordinator from 2010-12. They coached together in Tampa Bay. He became the Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach in part because of his loyalty to Smith, who was fired.

There is nothing more important than loyalty to Marinelli.

But if he wants to return to Tampa Bay – he was a Buccanneers assistant from 1996-2005 – and reunite with Smith, then he would need the Cowboys’ OK, according to multiple sources.

Marinelli is under contract to the Cowboys in 2014. The Cowboys could let him go if they choose, but they have blocked Joe DeCamillis and Tony Sparano in recent years from taking jobs with different teams while under contract. It is possible they could come up with some sort of compensation package to let Marinelli go.

Teams are only required to allow assistant coaches to interview for head coaching vacancies.

But the feeling is the Cowboys do not want to lose Marinelli. He was forced to work with 19 different defensive linemen in 2013 because of injuries and poor play. The Cowboys higher ups liked what he brought to that group and defense in particular.

With Monte Kiffin’s status up in the air, Marinelli could be a candidate to be the Cowboys’ coordinator if they went that route.

But there is no questioning Marinelli’s feelings for Smith.

“I'll say this, he was one of my very best friends,” Marinelli said during the season. “I went there because of him, not for any other reason. We had a long tenure together and I believe in him. I've started this thing off about my beliefs, being old fashioned or whatever, I have a strong belief in what he believes in and I liked it. For me, it's got to be that or I struggle. I never want to not do it with all my heart. For me, that was Lovie's defense.”
-----------------------

If Marinelli really wants to go, it would be completely stupid to make him stay just to continue the Kiffin experiment another year.

Smith is going to fill his coaching staff this year and going forward. He's not going to hire a DC just to dump him for Marinelli when he is free.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
For all the talk about Norv, the only glory days coach to return that I recall was Campo.

Norv, Wanny, Butch Davis...

All these guys have been available numerous times and Jerry never hired them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For all the talk about Norv, the only glory days coach to return that I recall was Campo.

You forgot about Wade Wilson.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I agree. I'm not as enamored with Marinelli as other people seem to be, but I think they absolutely can't retain Kiffin without him, it would be a disaster. Then again it was a disaster even with Marinelli.

To be blunt, with Garrett coming back next year is a lost cause anyway so I'm not sure any of this matters.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree. I'm not as enamored with Marinelli as other people seem to be, but I think they absolutely can't retain Kiffin without him, it would be a disaster. Then again it was a disaster even with Marinelli.

To be blunt, with Garrett coming back next year is a lost cause anyway so I'm not sure any of this matters.
It's kind of better if we just suck, force Jerry to clean house a bit and perhaps draft the QB of the future with a top 10 pick.

Genghis Khan

You always make it about yourself. Piss off.
Seriously. :lol I couldn't give half a fuck if we lose to Houston other than its a loss like any other.

I live in Philly. I laugh at anyone thinking they have it tough being a Cowboys fan in any other city. They live in Purgatory and call it hell. They don't know real hell.

I fart in your general direction, Ace.

Genghis Khan

He was really close to rehiring Norv though.

The funny thing is Norv was here for all of what, three years? People make it out be like he was Ernie Stautner or something.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Seriously. :lol I couldn't give half a fuck if we lose to Houston other than its a loss like any other.

I live in Philly. I laugh at anyone thinking they have it tough being a Cowboys fan in any other city. They live in Purgatory and call it hell. They don't know real hell.

I fart in your general direction, Ace.
I live in DC bitch, don't say shit.

Top Bottom