Archer: Jason Garrett worried about Eagles, not job

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett worried about Eagles, not job
December, 23, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

LANDOVER, Md. -- Jason Garrett may or may not be coaching for his job Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

But that it is near the top of his mind.

“I focus on doing my job as well as I can do it,” Garrett said Sunday after the Cowboys beat the Washington Redskins 24-23. “I think the emphasis that we placed on this for players and coaches in this league for a long time is do your job as well as you can do it each and every day. That’s certainly what I learned a long, long time ago. I’m proud of our group, how we fought, how we battled, how we gave ourselves a chance to win the game at the end by doing what we needed to do to win it. We have a great opportunity at our stadium next week.”

The Cowboys went 8-8 in Garrett’s first two full seasons, losing the season finales to the New York Giants and Redskins and missing out on NFC East titles and playoff spots. At 8-7, the Cowboys are in the same spot again.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones wants Garrett to be his longest-tenured coach.

“He really showed me a lot, to be able to keep it together, to be able to keep it focused,” Jones said. “ … I thought he did an outstanding job of getting this team from the obvious, and that is having a tremendous disappointing loss against Green Bay. It was a killer, and it was something that was a real challenge for a coach to get them to come back and play well. I thought we played well initially. We had all of the respect in the world for the Redskins. But I thought we played well initially, even though it was a different way we were getting it done early in the game. And then again, you saw a little bit of what reality is when they came back out in the third quarter and were able to run on us and push us around. That’s reality and so you got to counter that. That doesn’t mean you can’t win the games or have a counter to it. Where the real deal is, how do you adjust to what was happening to us in the third quarter, and we were able to do it.”

Cotton

Staff member
Jason Garrett trying to focus, as Jones likes him today

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 23, 2013, 11:16 AM EST

Whether Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is coaching for his job or not next week, he insists he’s not going to let it occupy his mind.

Of course, that’s what they all say.

“I focus on doing my job as well as I can do it,” Garrett said after beating the Redskins last night, via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “I think the emphasis that we placed on this for players and coaches in this league for a long time is do your job as well as you can do it each and every day. That’s certainly what I learned a long, long time ago.

“I’m proud of our group, how we fought, how we battled, how we gave ourselves a chance to win the game at the end by doing what we needed to do to win it. We have a great opportunity at our stadium next week.”

The Cowboys have their playoff futures in their own hands Sunday night, facing the Eagles with the NFC East title and a playoff spot on the line.

Having stitched together an atrocious defense and a full-time soap opera long enough to say that has bought Garrett some good will with the boss, too. Today, anyway.

“He really showed me a lot, to be able to keep it together, to be able to keep it focused,” owner Jerry Jones said. “I thought he did an outstanding job of getting this team from the obvious, and that is having a tremendous disappointing loss against Green Bay. It was a killer, and it was something that was a real challenge for a coach to get them to come back and play well.”

Of course, Jones can mean that today, and change his mind a week from now. That’s his right as the owner. So putting too much stock into the daily stock watch on Garrett futures is futile for the next week.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Looking back, I feel that Garrett should have thrown caution to the wind and stood up to Jerry and demanded more accountability from Romo and Callahan this year.

I get that that's probably not his personality but you'd think if your job were on the line you'd be more inclined to do things your way. I'd rather go down swinging rather than being scapegoated for the inadequacies of others.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yea Jerry Garrett did great, except for when Romo had to stop him from burning a timeout too early before the 4th down td showing he still doesn't have a grasp on time management.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Yea Jerry Garrett did great, except for when Romo had to stop him from burning a timeout too early before the 4th down td showing he still doesn't have a grasp on time management.
Calling a Murray running play to the outside on 3rd and goal didn't exactly fill me with warm fuzzy feelings toward the play caller either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
“He really showed me a lot, to be able to keep it together, to be able to keep it focused,” Jones said. “ … I thought he did an outstanding job of getting this team from the obvious, and that is having a tremendous disappointing loss against Green Bay. It was a killer, and it was something that was a real challenge for a coach to get them to come back and play well. I thought we played well initially. We had all of the respect in the world for the Redskins. But I thought we played well initially, even though it was a different way we were getting it done early in the game. And then again, you saw a little bit of what reality is when they came back out in the third quarter and were able to run on us and push us around. That’s reality and so you got to counter that. That doesn’t mean you can’t win the games or have a counter to it. Where the real deal is, how do you adjust to what was happening to us in the third quarter, and we were able to do it.”
Jerry is either semi-retarded, drunk, or both.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry is obviously comfortable with Garrett and that's what matters the most. And just look, after 7 years as OC and 4 as fake HC he's "learning too". All it took was being called out on national TV and all week by the sports world media following the largest debacle blown lead in team history for him to actually learn to run the ball the next week, for at least 2-3 quarters.

Pretty sure all is well now and he'll never go back to abandoning the run and going pass happy ever again. Time for a long term extension.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If by some miracle we make the playoffs, I can accept that Garrett will probably be back. I won't be happy, but I can understand why Jerry could justify it.

If we miss the playoffs AGAIN and Garrett returns, I will lose my shit.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If by some miracle we make the playoffs, I can accept that Garrett will probably be back. I won't be happy, but I can understand why Jerry could justify it.

If we miss the playoffs AGAIN and Garrett returns, I will lose my shit.

Agreed...but now Jerry has his built-in excuse. Injuries!!!!...not to mention after 7 years he's "learning".

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Couple this with Mark Cuban saying Jerry should keep Garrett...more process. More stacking good practices on top of others. It is hard to win in the NFL.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just don't think you come out now and say he coaching for his job now if you are Jerry. Garrett has plenty to think about as it is.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
What does this even mean?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What does this even mean?
It means a couple of local NBA people like Cuban and Carlisle are supporting Garrett. Maybe they are drinking buddies or something.

I do not give a shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe they should ask some soccer people what they think. Let's go completely irrelevant here.

Top Bottom