Archer: Cowboys must stick to draft board

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys must stick to draft board
April, 23, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Let me start the post this way: I love Dan Graziano’s work. Somehow he keeps track of four teams in the NFC East and seems to be able upset fans of all four at the same time, so he’s doing something right.

Listen But I think Dan is over the top in the view that the Cowboys must take an offensive lineman with their first-round pick. In today’s #bloggermock, Dan picked Alabama tackle D.J. Fluker with the 18th pick.

Fluker may well be the Cowboys' pick Thursday, but the vibe is they don’t have Fluker that high on their board.

Here’s what the Cowboys should do: take the best player regardless of the position.

If at No. 18 the Cowboys’ draft board has an offensive lineman as the 29th-best player -- and that’s not how they configure their draft board, by the way, but just go with it for now -- don’t reach on that player.

When you reach, you’re taking a lesser player and end up with a lesser roster overall.

In a draft that does not have the “sexy” skill players, I don’t see one of the team’s top line targets making it to No. 18.

The Cowboys have taken one offensive lineman in the first round since 1981 and that was Tyron Smith two years ago. They have found players like Larry Allen, Flozell Adams and Andre Gurode in the second round.

But the Cowboys' problems along the offensive line are not because they haven’t taken enough first-round picks. The problem is they can’t identify offensive lineman in the early and middle rounds where other teams have.

Despite the last year-plus, Doug Free (fourth, 2007) had a decent enough run, but the Cowboys have received nothing or next to nothing from David Arkin (fourth, 2011), Robert Brewster (third, 2009), James Marten (third, 2007), Jacob Rogers (second, 2004) and Stephen Peterman (third, 2004).

For months the Cowboys agonize over their draft board. They try to fit everybody in where they believe they should go. If you just skip that process on draft day, then you have wasted energy, time and money.

There is no doubt that the Cowboys have a need along the offensive line. There’s no doubt they should take an offensive lineman at No. 18 -- if he's the best player.

But “should” and “must” are two different things.

Here’s my must: stick to the board.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Fluker may well be the Cowboys' pick Thursday, but the vibe is they don’t have Fluker that high on their board.
This is what I'm railing against.

Fluker is climbing draft boards across the NFL because of an increased need for OL all over the NFL. His talent hasn't changed one iota.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Fluker is climbing draft boards across the NFL because of an increased need for OL all over the NFL. His talent hasn't changed one iota.
Lane Johnson is climbing up boards as well, but I don't see the complaint with him. I don't think it is anything to do with Fluker's talent as there seems to be an emphasis on OL this year, making all solid lineman have a bit of an inflated draft ranking.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea man, we should definitely stay true to our board and take a guy like Eifert over a guy like Fluker, that will have a real big f'ing positive impact on our team next year when our OL continues to get railroaded like a gang of bitches and Eifert is busy racking up 25 catches for 350 yards.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Need shouldn't be pushing players higher than where their talent says they should go. If Dallas signed Clabo to a two year deal today, would you still want Fluker over everyone else?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Archer says they aren't high on Fluker but I was listening to McMahon yesterday and he said they were. Which is it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Archer says they aren't high on Fluker but I was listening to McMahon yesterday and he said they were. Which is it?
I think at this point anything the Cowboys are saying about who they like or don't like should be taken with a grain of salt. If you want to know if the Cowboys like a player or not it is best to go back and look at who visited Valley Ranch and which pro days Garrett went to. Those are really the only things I trust at this point when it comes to who Dallas is interested in.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Need shouldn't be pushing players higher than where their talent says they should go. If Dallas signed Clabo to a two year deal today, would you still want Fluker over everyone else?
Not sure I agree. I like the BPA in most scenarios, but if there is a serious run on a position of need you may have to think of adjusting your draft board. It's not like taking a guy like Fluker would be a reach anyways. It would certainly depend on who is on the board.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not sure I agree. I like the BPA in most scenarios, but if there is a serious run on a position of need you may have to think of adjusting your draft board. It's not like taking a guy like Fluker would be a reach anyways. It would certainly depend on who is on the board.
There is a definite balance that has to be maintained, for sure. You can't go strictly BPA, nor can you go strictly for need. It all depends on the board and what fits your team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the thing you might rank your top 20 players and have players 15-20 all with the same exact grade anyway. I think your scouting should be pure from the standpoint that grades should have absolutely nothing to do with need but when you have two guys with basically the same grade you have to bump guys that fit needs up to the top of that grouping. You don't want to end up drafting the same position repeatedly every year simply because it is the top player on your board every year.

D

Deuce

You're board should be built with a combo of skill and need in mind so you can stick to it come draft day. Eifert shouldn't be a top 25 prospect based on that combo and so there should be no desire to take him.

But that's my opinion. Jerry Jones' opinion is probably further down the retard spectrum.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
When did a frikkin TE even enter the equation?

We've neglected OL and QB for years, but now we're going to actively search for Witten's replacement?

Good gawd almighty, no wonder Dallas hasn't won shit in nearly 20 years.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I really don't think we are looking for a replacement for Witten. I just hope we can accumulate more picks.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just hope we can accumulate more picks.
There's a chance Geno Smith falls to 18 and we can work a trade down to do just this. One call-in analyst thought you would not see a Christian Ponder type reach this year for Geno Smith and he'd go mid-20's. Old Jerrah might drum up interest among enough teams (Jets, Eagles, Bills, Jags, Cards, etc.) that one will be willing to make the trade up.

Otherwise I just don't see it. This looks like a draft where 16 blue-chippers get taken, no one bites on Smith, and Dallas is left with the best of the second tier players.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Otherwise I just don't see it. This looks like a draft where 16 blue-chippers get taken, no one bites on Smith, and Dallas is left with the best of the second tier players.
I hear this argument every year. The talent always runs out just before we pick.

It's a product of us valuing certain guys the same, but NFL front offices, being full of idiots often times, are always going to reach. Teams will like guys we aren't aware of. Someone always slips. I can't think of the last time I was watching a draft and then thinking "These options suck" in the first round.

Usually it's more like, we pass on the guy I want.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear this argument every year. The talent always runs out just before we pick.

It's a product of us valuing certain guys the same, but NFL front offices, being full of idiots often times, are always going to reach. Teams will like guys we aren't aware of. Someone always slips. I can't think of the last time I was watching a draft and then thinking "These options suck" in the first round.
People hear 16 blue chippers and they think that every teams 16 blue chippers are the same. They aren't. Hell I would be surprised if any two teams have the same 16 blue chippers on their board. So if you are picking at 18 odds are one of your blue chippers will still be on the board even if every other team took the best player available, which they don't.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm listening to today's Talkin' Cowboys (via podcast) right now. Spags referenced some recent mock draft (he thinks it was in SI) and rattled off names that were gone by #18. In reacting to the "what do you do if all these guys are off the board?" question Broaddus started talking about what guys have first round grades and some guys that have second round grades on the Cowboys' board. Specifically mentioned that Werner, who was still available at #18 in that mock, has a first round grade and that Reid has a second round grade but is ranked above Cyprien on their board.

As a fan I thought it was really interesting to hear that, but I also thought it was pretty damn dumb for him to be saying this on an internet radio show from the team's website the day before the draft. Probably didn't reveal anything particularly surprising but I'm still surprised he didn't realize he should probably shut his mouth.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't wait for the Bills to take Nassib at 8 and for all hell to break loose after. By the way I absolutely hate the fact that the draft starts on Thursday. I kept thinking I need to block off this whole weekend for some serious draft watching and then remembered the gay new format.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Usually it's more like, we pass on the guy I want.

Yep, someone is going to slip, and we probably should take whoever that is, because he's likely going to be the best guy on the board.

Top Bottom