Jerry Jones: Cowboys have a lot to lose

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Cowboys have a lot to lose
December, 20, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- It wasn't exactly earth-shattering news, but Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said his team has more to lose than Sunday's opponent, the Washington Redskins.

The Cowboys have to win their remaining two regular-season games to clinch a playoff berth. Should the Cowboys lose and the Philadelphia Eagles, in first place in the NFC East, defeat the Chicago Bears Sunday night, the Cowboys are eliminated from postseason contention.

"Well, I think we do because we really diminish our chances of getting into the playoffs," Jones said on Friday morning on 105.3 The Fan. "I would have to say when you start a season, that's what you play for. Those are your goals, and the more important thing is that's where all the upside is this year."

Of course, if the Cowboys fail to make the postseason, speculation about the future of coach Jason Garrett will become a major focus. Jones said Garrett will return in 2014, but he's changed his mind on other major decisions in the past.

The Washington Redskins also have issues with coach Mike Shanahan, who might not return for the final year of his contract.

"I get fired up over these division games," Jones said. "The Redskins represent such great tradition, and we've had some great moments playing the Redskins. Some of our earliest moments. An early game that we won my first year in the NFL with the Cowboys was against the Redskins. We had a watershed victory a couple of years later."

Top Bottom