Cowboys Injury Update Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting. Could we have something in Heath? He played quite a bit last week.
I'd hardly call this...interesting.

This means Danny MFing McCray will likely be asked to play defense at some point even if Heath is the starter.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones likes what he sees of RB DeMarco Murray in practice
By David Moore/ Reporter
dmoore@dallasnews.com
3:25 pm on October 24, 2013 | Permalink

Owner Jerry Jones watched part of Thursday’s practice and liked what he saw from DeMarco Murray, but stopped short of saying the running back will be able to play against Detroit.

Murray missed Sunday’s win over Philadelphia with a knee injury.

“I thought, based on the way he was moving around in practice, the last part of practice, that’s part of the reason I was giving it the attention I was,’’ Jones said. “I thought he was moving around good the latter part of practice.’’

Defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who also missed the Philadelphia game, was limited to working off to the side. Jones didn’t sound as encouraged about Ware’s availability for the game, Ware himself said he didn’t know if he could play this weekend against Detroit.

“I don’t have a thought there,’’ Jones said of Ware’s availability. “I know the fact he’s not in pads and out here practicing, that usually is a good indication of whether you can count on him or not.

“But I don’t want to, I really don’t want to commit one way or the other right now. Again, he’s Superman. You don’t know.’’

Cotton

Staff member
J.J. Wilcox injures right knee in practice
October, 24, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Rookie safety J.J. Wilcox was not able to finish Thursday’s practice because of a knee injury that will require an MRI and will put his status for Sunday’s game against the Detroit Lions into question.

The initial fear is that Wilcox sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee. Running back DeMarco Murray suffered a sprained MCL against the Washington Redskins and did not play last week against the Philadelphia Eagles.

If Wilcox is unable to play, then undrafted safety Jeff Heath could move into the role. Heath grew up 40 minutes from Detroit and will have 80 family and friends on hand for the game. He saw his first non-mop up defensive work last week against the Eagles.

Calling Jakar Hamilton up from the practice squad could be an option if Wilcox can’t play with only three safeties on the 53-man roster: Barry Church, Danny McCray and Heath. Wilcox has started the last five games and has 28 tackles and a pass deflection.

Murray took part in his second straight limited practice, but it appears he could return Sunday.

“I thought he was moving around good the latter part of practice,” Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said.

Wide receiver Dez Bryant (hamstring, wrist) returned for a full practice on Thursday after he was limited on Wednesday. Wide receiver Miles Austin (hamstring) was listed as limited for the second straight day, but DeMarcus Ware missed his second straight day. Cornerback Morris Claiborne did not practice because he was sick.

Guard Ronald Leary returned for a full practice after he sat out of Wednesday’s workout because of a sore knee. Defensive tackle Nick Hayden said he hopes to return to practice on Friday after missing his second straight practice with a sore back.

Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher (stinger), defensive end George Selvie (shoulder) and running back Lance Dunbar (hamstring) were limited for the second straight day.

Cotton

Staff member
DeMarcus Ware improved, but not there yet
October, 24, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware missed the past two days of practice and is not sure he will be able to play Sunday against the Detroit Lions.

Ware missed the first game of his career last week at Philadelphia, ending a streak of 134 in a row, because of a strained quadriceps. He has done resistance training the past two days, but is not likely to practice Friday. He will make the trip with the team to Detroit.

“There are some things I can and can’t do,” Ware said. “For the most part, I see progress.”

Ware has to be able to test the strength of his leg before getting back on the field. He started running on Monday and picked up his work on Wednesday and Thursday.

If Ware can’t play, then Kyle Wilber would make his second straight start. He was credited with one tackle against the Eagles. Ware said he had his “coaching hat” on last week, helping Wilber and the other defensive ends during the game.

“It was OK,” Ware said. “I’d rather be playing.”

Cotton

Staff member
Doubtful. I thought he looked like ass. Seemed a step or two late most of the time.
Then he should be able to fill Wilcox's shoes fine.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I'd hardly call this...interesting.

This means Danny MFing McCray will likely be asked to play defense at some point even if Heath is the starter.
Good point, but it'll be interesting to see if Heath is a player and with some prolonged playing time we'll get somewhat of an idea, no?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I guess you were more keyed in on him play after play than most of us.
Yeah, that was it. Derp.

Hard not to notice somebody when you keep seeing the same number late on a play, and wondering who the hell it is.

Cotton

Staff member

If these sunshine pumpers are negative, Ware ain't playing Sunday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

If these sunshine pumpers are negative, Ware ain't playing Sunday.
Yeah I think their is concern with him that the injury could get much worse if they push him too quickly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good thing right?
Absolutely, I'd rather sit him another week if there is any risk of causing serious harm. We really need to beat Detriot but I don't think Ware will make the difference in this game. Especially a gimpy Ware.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Absolutely, I'd rather sit him another week if their is any risk of causing serious harm. We really need to beat Detriot but I don't think Ware will make the difference in this game. Especially a gimpy Ware.
That's the way I see it also.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I guess I didn't have a chance to break down the game film like you did. Dude was in on limited snaps. You saw him run in late on a few plays without knowing what his responsibilities were on those specific plays. Heath is an undrafted FA who was getting his first extended playing time. The odds are against him, but I'm not going to say he sucks based on his first real game action.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cornerback Morris Claiborne could miss "next couple of weeks" with hamstring injury

Cornerback Morris Claiborne and safety Barry Church both left with hamstring injuries Sunday. Executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday that Church's isn't serious, and he should be back this week.

But Jones was more pessimistic about Claiborne's injury. He said Claiborne could miss a couple of games, which would point toward Claiborne's return after the bye week in a Nov. 24 game at the Giants.

"Church, his injuries kept him out there a little bit at the end," Stephen Jones said on KRLD-FM 105.3. "I do think he can recover and get back for the Vikings. Claiborne, on the other hand, has a soft tissue injury there with his hamstring that is a real deal, and probably more than likely we're looking at him missing the next couple of weeks."

Claiborne has had a tough season. He dislocated his shoulder in the season opener against the Giants and has played with a harness. He lost his starting job to Orlando Scandrick, though the Cowboys have started several games in the nickel, including Sunday's at Detroit, with three cornerbacks in the starting lineup.

In three games, Claiborne has come off the bench. He played 33 of 80 plays Sunday, missing the end of the game with his hamstring injury. Church played 64 of 80 plays, with Jakar Hamilton replacing him late in the game because of his hamstring injury.

Jones was not asked about Brian Waters' injury, but a source said the Cowboys do not have an update on the offensive guard yet. Waters left with knee, rib and triceps injuries, playing 32 of 57 snaps.

-- Charean Williams

Cotton

Staff member
That one is gonna hurt. No matter how bad people seem to think he has played, BW Webb will make you wish you had Mo back.

Top Bottom